I want to install some DiMarzio Titans in my guitar, but I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ACfireandiceDC, Aug 20, 2021.

1. ACfireandiceDC

ACfireandiceDC SS.org Regular

So, I have an HSH electric guitar that I'm modifying. I want to install some DiMarzio Titans in it, but there are two issues:

1. The guitar is HSH, and I need an additional pickup for the middle position. Is there anything you guys can suggest? And would ANY passive middle pickup be compatible with the Titans? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. (The guitar is a 6-string).

2. The guitar was designed to have pickups with covers instead of the ones like the Titans that simply sit in the cavity. I did some measurements, and the Titans would physically fit in the space of the pickup cavity - but would it be easy to install them? I mean, it can't be much more difficult than drilling some small holes in the cavity, right?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

1. Yes any passive single will be fine. Pick your favorite or keep what you've got.

2. I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you just have normal humbuckers with covers installed now, but you're looking to install some titans without covers? If so, that'll be fine. It won't even look that. However if you have soapbar style pickups in there right now, you may have to drill holes or install pickup rings to make them fit. You also may be able to get the titans in a soapbar form factor.

What guitar do you have?

3. ACfireandiceDC

ACfireandiceDC SS.org Regular

It's an Ibanez RG170 (I can't upload a photo for some reason). You should be able to see that the guitar was designed for pickups with rings, but I want to install the Jake Bowen Titan pickups in it (which are designed to not have rings).

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

As far as I can tell they are just normal sized humbuckers and can be mounted normally.

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Well, the pic is a bit small, but here you will find a guitar with titans, or breeds or any other dimarzio of the like in their metal covered version installed in a jackson with pickup rings

[​IMG]

So don't worry, you woull be able to do it, it will fit just right. A different thing is if you want to remove your pickup rings and install them direct to the body of the guitar inside the cavity... yes, is easy, you just have to find small wood screws that can pass thru the threaded tabs of the pickups and drill small holes in the guitar body where they have to go so the pickups align inside the cavity (be sure the drilling bit is the right size) BUT consider that if you remove your pickup rings you will have 4 holes around every pickup and the route might not be very good looking considering that is quite a cheap guitar.

I would just install them in the rings like in the pic above.

Good luck!

PS: I would get a dimario Velvet for the middle position