I think most modern music sucks, because...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by gnoll, Nov 7, 2020.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you can't find new inspiring music you're not trying very hard. There was never a "golden age" for popular music, there's just old people who stopped looking for new music. Every era has a handful of truly great artists (or truly popular artists) and then a gajillion copy cats. There were SOOOOOO many Beatles/Stones/Zep/EVH/Motley Crue/Nirvana etc etc knockoffs when they were popular and breaking. Modern production ability has just lowered to the cost of entry, which IMO is never a bad thing. If anything it's lead me to MORE new inspiring bands because getting something to sound halfway decent isn't an expensive and time-consuming thing, so artists have to try to do something different or better to clear the noise. There's nothing wrong with really loving a particular era for the production and sound, but most of that is probably more like rosy red glasses from when YOU first heard it, not an objective value based on those things. Literally everything in heavy music these days is "better"...guitar tones are better, drum sounds are better, vocalists actually have technique and can do more with their voices, the access to information/lessons has led to a massive amount of highly-skilled players. The thing with the production is if these tools were available to people in the 80s and 90s, I guarantee they would have been using them all, all of the time. The differences in production from them wasn't because they weren't all going for the heaviest, clearest, best production or trying to match certain studios/artists sounds, its that it was a lot more complicated to do.

2. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Modern production allowed you so many things that engineers in the past would dreamed about and have to workaround in the day where unless you have major backing, you cant have a halfway decent production. Have fun nailing 100s and 100s of takes (time + money) when you can edit, sample replace, etc etc. It allowed for lowered cost of entry too, i can make a very high quality demo myself that sounds clean, cost and time efficient with new techs. The lowered noise floor and modern equipment really allowed you to have something on par with a studio. Heck the new Interval and BMTH was mixed by Zakk Cervini who mixed it with his Sennheisor HD600s ( i think) and fucking Airpods in a corner of his bedroom. Have fun trying to do that 30 years ago.

Masoo2, kamello, couverdure and 2 others like this.
  3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Yeah!

Why would anyone want just a little tiny box to play around in, that's already been fully explored a million times over? That sucks!!

4. Repo251

Repo251 SS.org Regular

Agreed +100 more laboured boring points, extends to jazz too... it’s still fun to play and write though...

5. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

Agreed. I am not a one genre, one note person, why should I write that way?

6. JimF

JimF Contributor

To the OP: I get the majority of my new music from either this thread, or the suggested videos resulting from it
    https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/new-metal-music-thread.336999/

For me maybe 75% of it is awful. Well I'll rephrase that. 75% of it is sub genres I do not care for, but probably good examples of it. The rest of it is pure gold. I just have a YouTube playlist and add them as I see them. Then whenever I'm in the mood for new music, the playlist is ready.

7. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

There's some non metal stuff out there that's pretty sick. (i'm probably breaking some sacred forum metal code by posting this lol)

Lorn

or just dig around for witch house or dark lofi, or even stuff that's not super dark and heavy.

Or even some more indie stuff sometimes like Mr Gnome

I find listening to other genres really refreshing. Plus taking a break away from metal from time to time tends to allow me to come back to it with fresh ears, and I find lots of great stuff again.

Masoo2 likes this.
  8. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

A very interesting topic, indeed.

I knew it would be quite hard to express my exact thoughts on this, so I made an art to do this for me, hope you like

argument won.jpg

Masoo2, c7spheres and JimF like this.
  9. 7Mic7

7Mic7 SS.org Regular

Op should read that each time he want's to yell at the sky.

very well thought.

USMarine75 and GunpointMetal like this.
  10. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If you want to blend genres in your music because you feel its the best representation of your art, full steam ahead and take no shit.

If you want to blend genres in your music and want to become a remotely successful artist, you better be incredibly good at it. No easy feat.

Gnarcade likes this.
  11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Momentary hijack - I wish Mr. Gnome would drop the lame classic rock tropes from most of the rest of their music and work more at stuff like Be Here Now. I love that song, but the rest of it sounds like very well-produced bar rock....

And back to bitching.

12. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

lol yeah i liked their previous stuff, and some of their singles/bsides better than this last album but eh... I needed to get ready for work so i just threw in the first link I found

13. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

After playing for 48 plus years, and recording/touring for nearly 35+ of those, I have found that I write best when I don't write with any other music in mind. I listen to some modern music, and a whole lot of older music, and I think if you just continue to write, and re-write, you'll find that you are refining your craft along the way. I write without any forethought of affirmation and affection from the listener. I write what moves me, and hope in turn that it moves someone else and they find a connection, but I don't bank on expectations of others. Be you, everyone else is already taken. It's good to get feedback from peers, yes, but filter that info appropriately, and choose you peers based on what you admire most about them. The best thing you can do is surround yourself with people who are more talented than you and be honest and vulnerable. Growth from that is inevitable.

c7spheres, tedtan and budda like this.
  14. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Singers ruin most modern metal.
    So tiring.

VGK17, neotronic, slan and 2 others like this.
  15. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Is it (just) the singers' vocal style, or is it the way that they seem sooooooooooo forward and loud in the mix that they seem to overwhelm everything else going on?
    For example: Fallujah. I (think) I like a lot of the music, but please turn down those vocals! My ears can't take it.
    Maybe a *old man yells at cloud* moment from me here.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  16. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Very subjective but yes. Make good choices at the board and every song isn't an American idol finals.

17. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Maybe you’re in a rut in your music listening habits?

Crundles likes this.
  18. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

There's a fuck ton of exciting and engaging music out there right now. The metal represented on this forum is a small niche for the most part. Also, there's a lot of heavy music coming out right now that isn't even metal. Some of the indie/punk/hardcore and even experimental hip-hop is gnarly.

Masoo2 likes this.
  19. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

You should list some of what you enjoy listening to as a start so people can offer some suggestions.

I recently bought tabs for the two Artifical Brain records and revisited those albums. Huge shift in what my daily listen brings, but a welcome change nonetheless. Vipassi came with it as another album revisit.

20. fps

fps Kit

What sucks most about modern music is that very little of it has the cultural cache to unite strangers. I love Moon Tooth and Soen and even most hardened metallers won’t really have checked them at all. Everything is so fragmented that even the best anthem song doesn’t find an audience in a way that builds friendships across communities, we’re all exploring our own little boxes. It’s a cultural thing more than a musical thing, music is losing the power to do this, certainly losing ground to video games in this regard for instance.

bostjan likes this.