I think it’s time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Paul McAleer, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

Been using an axe-fx ultra for 10 years now. I’ve been happy with it, but I’m fearing for the day it dies on me. For you axe users, has their really been a noticeable difference in the amp sim tones as of date?

Imo, IRs/cabs make the biggest difference in tone. Maybe it’s just me, but sometimes it’s difficult to tell high gain/driven amps apart within the ultra aside from the feel when using the same IR/cab. Would ya’ll say there’s been an lo improvement with that over the decade?

There’s a lot of newer features that I could get excited about and even deeper parameters. I’ve had lots of fun with them on the ultra.

All that being said I’m thinking about picking up an FM3. (Maybe the quad cortex when users are able to upload the Fortin natas sim into it)

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Your ultra shouldnt die any time soon, but i have no idea how hard it is to source any parts.

As for the ultra->fm3 move, yes you should notice a difference. Buy one and enjoy.

3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I had the Axe-Fx Standard and 2 for altogether something like 9 or 10 years. Bought the 2 maybe after 1 year of owning the Std. I feel the 2 was already an upgrade, made the amp modeling more realistic and the overall sound is like making it higher fidelity. I don't know how it would fare if you paired 3rd party cab sims with the Axe-Fx Ultra.

I decided NOT to buy the Axe-Fx 3 when it was released because:
    1. It is very expensive. 2499 euros in EU today.
    2. It has a lot of power I did not need. I never ran into CPU usage issues on the Axe-Fx 2 so what would I do with even more?
    3. It does not have the user interface improvements I had been hoping for. Same clunky navigation controls and the UI choices don't do it for me.
    Had the FM3 been out at the time I may have considered that as it would be a better fit for my needs but at this point I would just wait for the Quad Cortex to be released next month and see how people like that.

But realistically if you are happy with the Axe-Fx Ultra, just use it until it actually fails rather than worrying about it. Maybe open it up, dust it off and see if any caps look like they are leaking or bulging.

Paul McAleer likes this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't recall any particular components being proprietary, as far as the screen, jacks, pots, etc.

Paul McAleer and budda like this.
  5. Paul McAleer

afaik the only parts I’ve been able to find quickly are the rotary encoders and the switch I believe. Any sort of issues I’ve had, I just used a lil deoxit and it’s problem solved.

Very tempted to pull the trigger on it rn, but the longer I wait the better it gets with Cygnus and more interesting to compare them.

6. Paul McAleer

Price of it at the time of release is what made me want to wait a bit until the price drops a bit, at the time I was completely happy with the Ultra. Blending IRs with it has made a made a big difference in the sound of it.

happy with the unit, spent more than enough time understanding it and using deep parameters. Just a little tired lugging it around in a flight case with midi controller, extra cables and using an interface for recording.

7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

If you would prefer something more compact then I would wait for reports on the Quad Cortex. I moved from the Axe-Fx 2 to the Line6 Helix Floor because it was much better to use on the hardware itself. If I was 99% using Axe-Edit on my Axe-Fx 2, on the Helix it's 99% the hardware controls.

The FM3 has too limited switching for my liking and if you get the FC6 to go with it it's almost as large and just as expensive as the Helix Floor with less I/O, DSP and so on.

I have the Quad Cortex on order because it looks to be even easier to use than the Helix but is also not a massive surfboard like the Helix Floor/LT.

8. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Fm3/mC6 and go.

OP, go for it.