I think I'm improving, rip me apart before I get cocky.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by anthonyferguson, Oct 5, 2012.

1. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

2. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

The guitars are messing with the vocals it sounds like. You need to cut some area out around the 3k range in the guitars to let the vocals come though more. I didn't really like the vocals much at all but they really just don't sit right in the mix. The vocals sound like they are pretty muddy.

Also the guitar playing could tighter. Maybe that's the sound you are going for but the guitars also seem pretty loose and flubby and muddy, they are also pretty loud. I would turn them down and that might make the drums shine through. I would try and get more of a clanky bass sound too, that would make the bass more present and sound like an instrument rather than just a frequency.

The songwriting aspect is actually pretty cool and if you could get the song tighter and more present it would be awesome in my opinion.

3. Saidincontext

Saidincontext SS.org Regular

This is odd: the guitar sounds really good at some points, and really loose and uncoordinated at others. Is it stacked guitar recordings? If so you may want to fiddle with your timing, the overall riff compilation is pretty good, maybe just tighten it up a bit, even if you have to slightly raise the bpm of the song. Cocky and confident are two different things, never forget you weren't that good at one point, and don't be a dick to other musicians because you think you're above them and you'll be great :hbang:

Cool song, can't say I like the vocals, but I never really liked mixing pure cleans with distorted heavies

4. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

Thanks very much! Yeah the vox sound pants. Totally inappropriate mic and I have no idea what im doing when it comes to mixing them. Thanks for the tips.
    The muddiness is what I was going for in the first section, but following that I wanted to tighten the whole sound up a bit. Probably more to do with my playing and articulation so I might try practising the riff(s) a bit beforehand next time.
    Oh yeah and the bass is octaved down guitar. Not ideal.
    Thanks for the compliment! I end up with random snippets of a riff or something in the shower/on the crapper and fitting them all together in something coherent can be really hard! I'm glad you think it has potential!

Haha totally didnt mean to sound like a dick :p I'm a completely inferior human being, but was surprised this sounded not desperately crap. It's always the case that the execution of an idea ends up being totally rubbish.

But yes it's all pretty much one take stuff. And the vocals aren't going to be mine in the end. I'm pretty rubbish at singing anything other than being a chorus bass :( I just did this all as a rough idea, wanted to see what people think of the flow of it in terms of the different sections. I'm not sure if there's really enough harmonic interest or whether what there is needs to be emphasised a bit more. I'm not desperately focused on production, this is just a draft for a part of a few songs a mate and I are writing. Thanks though! Glad to hear the guitars sound ok, I just slapped a mic in front of my laney ironheart and thought it was good enough. My playing is sloppy. Not going to make any excuses, I'm just not really that good.

5. TaylorMacPhail

TaylorMacPhail Heisenberg

Really dig the last section man, it's like a more djenty take on the Deftones, cheers!