I think I should stick to six strings on guitar. So what about the others?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by nightlight, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Life is short. Don’t look at the guitars as tools. They’re functional pieces of art. If you don’t use them, but it makes you happy to own them, then definitely keep them. I have guitars I just never get around to playing, but looking at them makes me happy, and that’s good enough. And guitars hold residual value pretty well, so it’s not like you have to flip them. Hanging on to a TV would be a waste, but guitars are different.

And don’t get too hung up on using all of the strings. 7 and 8 strings have built in 6 strings, and there’s no law saying you ever need to touch those lowest strings.

For me, guitars are a very unique thing to own. They are art that can be used to create more art. There aren’t many things in the world like that, and I find them to be one of the few things that make life worth living. There are no rules about what they have to look like, and there are no rules about what you need to do with them.

2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    That would be a laugh for sure, nevertheless, it's food for thought that may help to make decisions. The creative process is attached to the tools used and that may also create emotional attachments...

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I cn understand the feeling. At some point I had four 7 strings and then I sold them off lol. I only regret selling one of those 7 strings but still I was more happy with my 6 trings. Now I bought another 7 string but it's so fun to play I'll (hopefully) keeping this one.

I have several 6 strings and I don't get to play them all. I've had other 6 strings in the past that I sold and a couple of them I do regret selling. I only sold one of my high end 6 strings however. I have more than enough guitars to play but whenever I'm thinking of selling one and play it for a bit to make sure I remember why it's still there. So unless there's an emergency and I need money, I need to move somewhere I can't bring all the guitars or I can't play an instrument for whatever reason then I think I'll keep hoarding the guitars I currently own lol!

Not much help there though sorry. That Mayoness is just beautiful! The Boden is nice too but I'm not a fan of headless and 8 strings. Even if you don't play them for whatever reason but when you pick them up end up enjoying them way to much then I would suggest keeping them.

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I find that using a 7-string has been an effortless experience for me but 8-string not so much. Adding the 8th string into things in a relevant way seems more challenging to me and I often play it more like a weird guitar/bass hybrid. I've even thought about figuring out how to add stereo output to it so I could run it into say a guitar and bass amp or something strange.

5. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I have a couple of 7 string guitars. However, I rarely use them. I prefer using b-tuned 6 strings for rhythms and standard tuned 6 strings for soloing. It allows me to set up a guitar with crunchy pickups for rhythm, and more clearer sounding pickups for the soloing. I don't do anything live though.

6. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Here's a thought: I have four six strings. What if I sold one or two of those instead and kept the seven and eight? Would that be more pragmatic?

I play all my guitars from time to time, it's just fun to rotate them like that, but in all honesty, the six stringers seem to get the most play time.

Of course, that might have to do with the fact that I have four of those and just one each of the seven and eight.

I don't think I should discount different tunings as well. They can make all the difference to a song.

I just have been thinking maybe I should simplify, simplify, simplify. It isn't like I am talking about going down to one guitar and one amp. But instead of six guitars, I'd be going down to four.

One thought is that I'm not a millionaire or anything. Why on earth do I need so many guitars? I'm also not a professional musician.

The flip side is that I'm not accruing massive debts and they bring me pleasure.

Someone asked if I'm rational. I am, but at the same time, I just like guitars. I'm not a big time collector or anything, but I just like to think of them as functional art.

They have qualities, character. Collecting them is as much a hobby as making music with them.

Still, is it as wasteful like when I had something like 10-12 tube amps in my possession?

I don't want to get into that situation again, it was so bad that I was literally turning on one tube amp every 10 days instead of having a favourite and jamming on it. What was the point?

Definitely need to meditate on all of this. At any rate, I shouldn't rush it.

7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I finally sold an amp I've for I think around 8 years or so. I have contemplated it for years, but never found a serious buyer. I finally did, and was elated, but the day before, I almost panicked and called it off despite not using it much the past 3-4 years. I sold it because, A. I get a tone that is closer to what I am going for, and B. the amp was too loud for where I play guitar. I plan on getting a guitar or two (Strats), which I will be putting to much better use than the amp.

8. bigcupholder

bigcupholder SS.org Regular

I'm in the same boat, considering selling my Kiesel Vader 7 because I only play my 6 strings, but it's a really great guitar.

Maybe just sell the 8 string and keep the 7 for now? I've never seen the need for an 8 string personally, both for range and because it's hard enough getting a good tone across all strings with 7 (really my main complaint about 7 strings in general).

nightlight likes this.
  9. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

The white one is pretty, I‘d probably keep that even if I don’t use it a lot. That headless monstrosity on the other side...

10. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

OP sorted yet?

11. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

I'd perhaps keep the 7, and sell the 8 and use the freed up funds to score some usable mid-range Schecter.

To me, 7 strings are essentially guitars (i.e. 6 strings) with a bit more range, whereas 8 strings feel like totally different instruments altogether.