I think I should stick to six strings on guitar. So what about the others?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by nightlight, Apr 12, 2021.

1. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I keep wrestling with the idea that if I sell some of the guitars I've scrimped and saved and bled to acquire, I may never see them again.

At the same time, I also keep thinking that having experienced some really nice guitars, I now know what I am looking for in an instrument, so what's the point of keeping stuff that doesn't feel as good to me?

In that regard, I am increasingly of the view that I really should focus on a certain number of strings, in my case six because that's all I can handle credibly.

I only bought my seven and eight string guitars thinking I would be able to use them in projects and write new music with them. But in reality, I don't find I am making as much use of them as I thought.

Yes, once in a while I join a band where they come in handy. Or I'll be screwing around and come up with a nice riff.

But I don't think I'll ever be as proficient with them as I would with the six string guitars.

So should I be a jack of all trades? Or should I just focus on a certain number of strings and try to master it?

Or am I looking at this all wrong, and additional strings opens up additional possibilities as my playing and theory improve?

Thankfully, I just have one seven and one eight string, but they are really nice guitars. The seven is a Mayones Regius Core 7 custom 27" baritone and the eight is a Strandberg Boden 8 made in the Sweden custom shop.

They were both very hard to acquire and both are excellent instruments, really superb. If I sold them, I doubt it would be easy to get comparable pieces down the line.

There's also the thought that "some day", I may suddenly decide I want to play seven or eight strings. Then what?

Of course, I would also like a horse to ride, by which I mean perhaps I should be more practical and just focus on on what is achievable rather than dreaming incessantly.

I could really use the money and the space that would come from selling the guitars. I could even use those funds to buy a six string instead, I have been gassing for a Tom Anderson or a Suhr.

Then again, I could always buy those down the line.

Suggestions are welcome. Here are the guitars, I keep thinking that they are irreplaceable/too nice to part with, which is why the dilemma keeps surfacing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Dude that Mayones is glorious. I wish I could help you. I really do, but I haven’t figured this out either.
    Right now I’m hanging onto my Majesty BFR despite never playing it.
    Just wanted to chime in and advise you are not alone.

nightlight likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

In my experience selling guitars you like, even if you don't really use them much will result in only pain down the road.
    It's so much easier to cull guitars that don't speak to you, or just don't hold up compared to others.

4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I wouldn't sell any guitar i owned period unless I needed the cash. In fact I've never sold a guitar or bass...ever. Probably never will (except for my line6 variax bass which I'm willing to part with lol)

BenjaminW likes this.
  5. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I was actually expecting responses to sell. "The things you think you own, own you", for example.

I think it's FOMO, which is actually ridiculous. Consequently, I am still thinking about this.

I just pulled my Boden listing on Reverb a second ago though. Why is this kind of stuff never easy?

It's like hoarding lol

6. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

It is a bit like hoarding, but that mayones is really damn nice looking. And you will find yourself at some point down the road wanting a certain tuning that it could have given you without having to change one of your main guitars. I myself wouldn't part with it unless you just hate the way it feels.

7. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

It's only hoarding in the sense that it's literally hoarding :lol:
    But don't worry, most of us still do it regardless :)

Edit: Although I gotta say it gets easier if you change your state of mind.
    I was thinking I'd never be able to sell things like my P24, or SC HB-2 or a few others...but at the end of the day I don't really miss the guitars I didn't play.

8. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

It’s all material possessions, things.

Does it make you happy or not. If you don’t gel with an instrument then get rid of it. Quality over quantity. Live for the moment. If you sell guitars you don’t play at all, then you can buy another guitar that you can love to play. What’s the point unless you want to be able to tell others you own certain guitars. They should be played.

it’s all up to you, not us, to determine wether or not you should keep guitars.

CM_X5 likes this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Just sell all the 6 strings and play the 7. You can still play only 6 strings on it but you can't play 7 on a 6. Sell the 8 string too because thats just preposterous! jk.
    Seriously, Don't sell anything until your confident in what direction you wanna go. I wish I could help but it's really a personal decision what you do. Follow your heart but be aware your heart can get you into trouble. Worse case scenario is you'd have to buy another 7 or 8 string which may or may not be as good as the one's you have now, regardless of price and build quality. Price and build quality does not equal to mojo, comfort, or a good fit for you.

Hybrid_Child likes this.
  10. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I definitely understand some of what you're experiencing. I'm going through similar in the opposite direction. I've owned two absolutely killer Jackson Soloists for 16 1/2 and 13 years. Love both of them with one of them being one of the best overall guitars I've played.

That said, after I got my 8 string in 2013, it took a bit of time, but it completely supplanted the other two as my main guitar. It's an $800 Indonesian made axe that has a couple of issues, but I just fell head over heels for it. Best playing and feeling guitar I've ever laid hands on.

Now, I'm thinking of selling the two Jacksons to fund an Aristides. The Aristides, on paper, takes all of what I love of the Jacksons and the Ibanez S8, adds the few other things I want and don't have, and does it all in one package. I could keep the two Jacksons and still get the Aristides, but that would delay the purchase by over a year and the truth is, I just don't play them much anymore. I kind of feel as though I've moved on from them.

Still, it's a hard choice.

Both guitars you're thinking of selling look excellent. If you're not in the need of money, or need of something else, and still enjoy both, I'd say keep them.

11. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

I'll make it easy for you an buy that Mayo.

Millul and Edika like this.
  12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Having learned this the hard way, save and buy things that you want.

Keep the shit you think might be hard to replace because IT WILL BE.

13. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Out of sight out of mind.

Boojakki, odibrom and Zhysick like this.
  14. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Here are a few questions for you to think about.
    • How often do you play those 7 and 8 stringers? Once a week, a month? keep them. Less than once a year? maybe sell them.
    • Have you composed something significant on those? Can you play those compositions on similar guitars? How often do you play said compositions?
    • Did you buy those new to your specs? Can that be repeatable in the future? Can you spec those guitars clearly so you can get something similar in the future?
    • Are you in need for the money their sell would provide?
    • Have you made any mod to them that is meaningful to you but not to potential buyers?
    • How many guitars do you have? can you afford that number and still pay your bills? (no need to answer, just a rhetorical question)
    • Can you find a purpose to sell them? Sell them.
    • Can you find a purpose to keep them? keep them.
    • How emotional are you about them? How racional? Have they been given to you by someone close or did you buy them as a mark of some point in your life? Or did you get them out of particular need non-existent anymore?
    • What special features do the guitars have that are hard to find?
    • How valuable are they in the used market? Are they worth the sell against the possible emotional regret?

In my opinion, those are really nice guitars but aren't that unique. I mean, sure they are one of a kind, but you can also find similar ones if you sell those, maybe with better play, maybe with better looks.

I'm a 7 stringer 99% of my time, but I've bought a 6 stringer a month ago because it had a nice price tag and other special features I appreciate. I also have an 8 stringer that I seldom play (about twice a year or so), but made it my own with mods. Overall, these guitars won't leave my house unless I'm dead and my wife/kids sell them to whomever buys them.

I've sold 2 guitars and 2 basses along my almost 30 years of playing. I don't buy much gear and the one I buy is to serve a purpose, either functional or emotional. The guitars and basses were sold to get another one that would fill the space and purpose, so an upgrade so to speak. I don't miss any of them. I'm buying more guitars lately (2 in the last 6 months and probably a 3rd soon, who knows?), mostly because I can, but it's nothing that serious and is to fulfill some old desires. I'm getting a redundancy with my guitars, which is nice if one gets in need for some setup and I'm not in the mood nor have the time for it, backup redundancy is interesting and a purpose in itself. Also, whatever you play in a 6 you can play in a 7 or 8 stringer. It will feel odd, but it's reasonably doable.

If you manage to keep them, you can always sell them later down the road, the opposite is way harder to achieve. Whatever you do, do it consciously, not on a wimp.

15. Wucan

Wucan SS.org Regular

I haven't used my only 7 string much as of late but I also know it's exactly what I want when I do want to make use of the extra string. If I were to sell it I'd just waste countless hours trying to look for the next holy grail 7-stringer. So if you don't need the money I'd keep your extended range guitars.

Mayones guitars and Swedish Strandbergs don't grow in trees either, so if you ever miss them good luck getting new ones without getting wrecked in the pocket book.

16. tarzegetakizerd

tarzegetakizerd SS.org Regular

I'm still having regrets for selling my EC-407 to buy an 8 string. I play the fuck outta the 8, while I barely played the 7. The satin white EC-407 is now hard to come by in my country (it really sucks). Still, I'm still having dreams of if I had both.

17. Stooge1996

Stooge1996 SS.org Regular

I'd be keeping everything unless you're in some financial hardship. I've got an Ibanez RGR-550 i might play once a year but it's so hard to come by i'll never sell it. I've got other hard to find ibanez models that again i'll keep because i can afford to and it's too hard to find them again

18. Yelir

Yelir SS.org Regular

You don't have to sell outright, can I rent the strandberg? Hehe.

Your predicament sounds like what I experienced when I got into boutique synth gear. I spent hours researching and reading forums online, and the days after a purchase were great fun. I wondered what I could do with comparable money if I weren't actively playing them. I hesitated, and in my patience the items are out of production and commanding much higher prices than I initially paid. I would keep them for a nice trade if it pops up, otherwise I'll share my gear with friends and work on new music.

Good luck whatever you decide.

19. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Can you guys imagine if this was the rule? SSO in shambles and 99% of guitars on sale tomorrow :lol:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    odibrom likes this.
  20. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

What others modafaka?

[​IMG]