I Shouldn't Have Access To Adult-Money

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've wanted a Mesa amp since I started playing 20+ years ago.

E2837349-1BEA-4703-A381-F407CEC48BA1.jpeg

Only got a chance to play it for a few minutes, got a nasty hum trying to use that 2-prong outlet so I have to move it to one of the 3-prong outlets in here, but holy hell does it sound fucking amazing.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Same story here. Drooled over Mesas for decades, and ended up getting the exact same amp a few years ago. No regrets. It's the only amp I have (or have ever had) that can truly do everything I want. All my other amps are one-trick ponies -- they either do clean or dirty well, but not both. That little Mark does it all.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! I loved this amp when I tried it in store a few years back.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Nice! I remember hearing the most killer tone in a music store, turning around, and walking over to the amp to see it was a Mark IV combo. I've wanted one ever since.

Do these (Mark V 25 watt) do a Mark IV lead tone at home (louder than bedroom, but not band level) volumes? Maybe I'll get one of these. The IVs are stupid-level prices, now. And the various tones of the V would be cool.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Do these (Mark V 25 watt) do a Mark IV lead tone at home (louder than bedroom, but not band level) volumes?
It gets the character right, but there's some subtle differences - the stuff you could imagine from having such a small power section - less low end, mostly, which might make the whole amp come across brighter. The gain range is a little different - I use about 50% of the range on the 25, but 75% on the IV. You can correct most of that difference with the GEQ and being conservative with the presence, as long as you're ok with not getting that room-filling / gut-punching low end that having a lot of headroom gets you. The IV just has a smoothness that's hard to beat. The 25 get's like 95% of the way there, but I'd never replace the IV with the V:25.

For what it's worth, a IV in good shape also sounds fantastic at low volume - you just have to fight the master volume taper a bit. It gets really touchy, but if you get the volume to land where you want, it still sounds good at bedroom level.

To OP: If you get a chance - give it a shot through a bigger cab, with a lot more volume and a slightly less extreme V shape. It may look little, but it gets along great with bigger cabs, IMO.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Nice! I remember hearing the most killer tone in a music store, turning around, and walking over to the amp to see it was a Mark IV combo. I've wanted one ever since.

Do these (Mark V 25 watt) do a Mark IV lead tone at home (louder than bedroom, but not band level) volumes? Maybe I'll get one of these. The IVs are stupid-level prices, now. And the various tones of the V would be cool.
yeah they'll do mk4 tones.

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

It gets loud fast. If you look at where the Ch 2 Master knob is compared to the Mid (which is at 0), it was already in "well, I hope the neighbors like Enter Sandman" territory :lol:

I have a JHS Little Black Amp Box on the way to try out with it.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Those little black amp boxes are honestly huge rip offs. It's just a few jacks and a pot in a tiny housing, a few measley dollars, maybe dimes and 15 minutes of work. I don't usually care what people spend their money on, but I will always try to steer people away from those.

1664543482909.png

If you already have a volume pedal, I'd send that back, frankly, as the volume pedal will do the same thing.

All that being said, if you don't have a volume pedal, and youve already spent the money, it WILL make the usable slice of the pot a lot easier to dial in. Instead of 0.5 to 1 being the threshold, you can use anywhere from 0.5 to about 3 or 4 on the MV depending on the saturation you're looking for, and getting there is way easier to find on the dial.

Or don't listen to me, that is totally fine too haha.

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those little black amp boxes are honestly huge rip offs. It's just a few jacks and a pot in a tiny housing, a few measley dollars, maybe dimes and 15 minutes of work. I don't usually care what people spend their money on, but I will always try to steer people away from those.

View attachment 115151

If you already have a volume pedal, I'd send that back, frankly, as the volume pedal will do the same thing.

All that being said, if you don't have a volume pedal, and youve already spent the money, it WILL make the usable slice of the pot a lot easier to dial in. Instead of 0.5 to 1 being the threshold, you can use anywhere from 0.5 to about 3 or 4 on the MV depending on the saturation you're looking for, and getting there is way easier to find on the dial.

Or don't listen to me, that is totally fine too haha.

I appreciate the advice but I can barely plug in a set of EMGs, soldering anything is definitely a no-go for me 🤣

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The 525 is great through the Mesa Recto 1x12... buuuuttt... if you really want to see what it can do, plug it into a cab with an MC-90 Black Shadow AND the Vintage 30 cab. My main sound is using the Mark 525 or Triaxis on Mark IV mode into a Vintage 30 cabinet and Celestion G12H-80 cabinet (very similar to the Mesa MC-90 or Classic Lead 80). The two different speakers really fill in some frequency gaps between the two.

This is essentially the idea behind the Mesa Road King cabinets too; pairing the V30 and Black Shadow 90. It is the best Mark series sound IMO.