I shot my first music video. Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by TimTomTum, Mar 8, 2016.

1. TimTomTum

TimTomTum SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

so I have been a member here since my teenage days, I owned 7 strings, had a guitar built by a member (the awesome luthier Walterson!). So I did what guys on here do. And now I shifted focus towards filmmaking (though I am still making music)
    and me an a couple of good friends shot a music video for a local band, I was one of two camera man and I am quite proud!
    Have a look:
    https://youtu.be/4rcNxtDh7Hg

It's mellow post rock I know, but after all of those guilty pleasure threads I guess, there should be some of you into the music.

Cheers guys!

2. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

That was really well done! A really great video in my honest opinion :yesway:
    How was it like filming it, and what gear did you use to record/edit the video? I ask honestly because I plan to make playthrough/demo videos soon but imovie is beyond horrible. xD

3. kootenay

kootenay SS.org Regular

The video was really well done imo, I would be stoked if that were my music video!

4. TimTomTum

TimTomTum SS.org Regular

A good friend of mine directed, another one did the production, edit and set design, we had 2 camera man and 3 assistants on 3 14hour shooting days. plus a guy for post production.
    It was tough as f***.
    We had a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, alot of glass, tripods, steadicam, rigs from me and the other camera man. Lot of stuff actually. For Demo videos all you need is a cam and a tripod. The software can be had free by several great companys like Hitfilm or Blackmagic Davinci Resolve.
    Look at my strandberg style demo video:
    Just a Panasonic gh2 (200€) with old lenses from my dad (20-30€ on craigslist) and a tripod.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1doqXQxRQ

5. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Pretty cool music.

6. Rolanthas

Rolanthas SS.org Regular

As someone who've had to meddle in almost all aspects of quite a lot of music videos as an undergrad, must say that is quite well done!

Simple but effective use of framing, color, motion and blends with the music just fine. And the fancier ideas were tastefully used imho. Kudos to the whole crew.

7. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

Wow!! That's a whole crew and a f*cking 14 hour day that's nuts! And the gear... It's like, no wonder the video is so dang good :yesway:
    And thanks for the tips dude! Can't wait to obliterate imovie and get a program that won't make my laptop explode