I really need some help with my sevenstring! :'(

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by warden1886, May 6, 2013.

1. warden1886

warden1886 New Member

I have a Schecter Jeff Loomis Floyd Rose sevenstring, it's a 26.5 scale guitar and something is wrong with it :( im currently using a 10-46 string set + a 68 on the low B string. the problem is that i can't tune my guitar up to standard E without the some string breaking! it's driving me insane... my band plays in drop A (AEADGBE) and i can't even tune up that high without the strings fricking breaking! i've tried everything from thinner string guages and lowering and raising the Floyd Rose, loosened and tightened the springs... nothing works, it's becoming a real problem. i can't even gig with my band atm because of this... i really don't know what to do, not even the guys at 2 different guitar shops knew what to do...

2. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

you probably have an issue with the bridge or the nut i would use 9's for standard tuning

3. Doombreed

Doombreed SS.org Regular

Is it the same string breaking or different strings?

4. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

Does it break at the tuning peg or at the bridge?

5. warden1886

warden1886 New Member

Always the high E... but all the other strings are REALLY tight. i think i broke the D string one time, and it breaks at the tuners on the head

6. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

Well then it's pretty simple. Learn to put the strings on properly. I had the same problem when I was a kid too, but as soon as someone showed me how to do it correctly without fucking the string itself up it never, ever happened again. Youtube ought to have some sort of video out there explaining this.

7. Gram negative

Gram negative Christopher Horton

Yep. Im with you, dude. +1

I had the problem when I first started changing my own strings, etc. My strings would break, and it would never stay in tune properly. Turns out, when you wind the string on the tuning peg, you have to be precise. If youre not, then the string will slip, or will be too tight causing tension behind the nut. Next thing you know, BAM. Broken string.

8. guitarfreak1387

guitarfreak1387 squirrel chaser

10-46 with a 68 on a 26.5 to me is way tight for standard. i have my 25.5 7 with a 10-59 in standard and thats as high as ill go for standard. your low b has to be 20+lbs or tension

as for the strings breaking. check the nut and bridge for any burs.