I really need opinions about my tone - (Mixing and mastering my new album)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Jobam-Martins, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Jobam-Martins

Jobam-Martins Guitarrista

Hey!

How have You been? I hope You're fine!

I started composing and producing my new album. I have many songs to compose as well but I started to create a template for my tones. Can You give me Your opinions on what should I work?

This is the tone I got so far. I'm only using vst plugins, freeware stuff. I just bought my first audio monitors too, basic ones but I'm really happy because I was mixing and mastering with some old headphones.

Anyway, any opinions help. Thank You very much!

c7spheres and MetalheadMC like this.
  2. Sylim

Sylim SS.org Regular

this is very solid. perfectly enjoyable as is. all i would do is just raise the lead a tiny bit, like 1db, just to make it stand out a touch more. but that could just be me.

Jobam-Martins likes this.
  3. Jobam-Martins

Thanks,man. I will try that!

4. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

Sounds like a great start to me! The volume of the lead isn't too low I would say, but a bit uneven. It's often useful to compress it after the amp to even it out, usually just a tad to make it sit better. Is the lead tone a the same amp/cab as the rhythms? Using a different one can often help a lot to make it stand out, but maybe that's the case already.

5. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

I agree, using a different IR can make worlds of difference also. When doing my leads i normally use an IR that's at a different position or with a different mic and use a more aggressive hi pass to make it sound unique. Sounds good man :yesway:

Seybsnilksz and Jobam-Martins like this.
  6. Jobam-Martins

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm using a different vst for the leads and also an different IR. I used a compressor after the amp but I'm having some difficulties depending on the song because sometimes I need to adjust it more in the dynamics or it pops out too much as I notice and it becomes more harsh. I will try to continue adjusting. Thank You!

Seybsnilksz likes this.
  7. Jobam-Martins

Thank You ,man. I'm trying to test more IRs here. I also like to use a high pass like You said, it becomes more soft for our ears. Thanks for the tips!

WarMachine likes this.
  8. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Don't go too crazy with different IR's, that's a never ending rabbit hole lol. Do the IR packs you are using have different speakers for the same cab? I use a Friedman cab IR with Greenbacks for my main rhythm tones but use the same cab with V30s for the leads. The Greenbacks sound more raw and the V30s sound smoother. Keeps things close enough but definitely different enough to notice on leads vs rhythm.

9. Jobam-Martins

Haha,thanks for the advice. Yeah, I have a lot of different freeware IRs but I have some favorites. So, I try to find the one that has the most presence of them combined with the head I choose. Normally these packs have like 10 options of the same kind of IR. What I like doing is, for example, choose the number 01 for the rhythm guitars and number 05 for the lead. But sometimes, I change the pack for the lead if the sound doesn't fit too much into the mix. But when I start the project , I start dialing the heads with different IRs sometimes just to listen to how they react. It is indeed a never ending thing, haha.