I really did it this time - broken truss rod nut

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by wheresthefbomb, Jun 30, 2021.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I decided to give a go at taking off the truss rod nut on my Agile LP to measure for a replacement this morning since it's all stripped out. What I didn't realize is that the nut was tack welded to the truss rod, except it isn't anymore because when I gave it one last good stout turn it made a sickening "SNAP!" to which I immediately said "well that didn't sound good," and this came out:

https://imgur.com/a/jlu69SB

you can clearly see where the metal/tack weld was shorn off by my big manly strength (but seriously, I didn't use that much force)

I can find something to thread back on there easily enough, but my concern at this point is that the truss rod screw action is happening at the base of the neck, not at the headstock, and so unless I can tack weld something back on there (spoiler alert: I cannot) it seems a lot like my guitar is fucked.

Not sure what I'm asking for. Maybe there's something I missed? Otherwise, press F to pay respects I guess.

Ultimately I was always prepared for the possibility that learning how to fix guitars would destroy this one, I've certainly gotten my $180 worth out of it. I guess I should've called them before I started cranking on it.

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Can't see the picture. It's hard to say but maybe JB Weld might help it? Not sure if that stuff is strong enough for it.

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Friendly question, but does anyone who recommends JB Weld ever actually use it? I like to think I'm fairly adept at mixing epoxy (it's part of what I do for a living), yet nothing I've ever JB Weld'ed together has ever help up.

I think, sadly, the only way to fix it is to remove the fretboard and either replace it or at least replace the broken part. Anything short of that and you'll be worrying about it breaking again.

odibrom, wheresthefbomb and c7spheres like this.
  4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

'F'/ RIP

For a $180 Agile I would be writing the eulogy... not that it can't be saved but I would prob strip it of any usable bits and maybe use what's left to maybe practice fret leveling/ crowning, finishing, etc.

@bostjan - JB Weld and it's variants can work extremely well but many times people use it in applications that it's not designed for. The type of substrate/ material and the prep of that material are the biggest factors along with the amount of pressure/ force/ torque that will be applied after curing. JB Weld rarely does well in high stress situations. Like many epoxy's and adhesives, it works best with more porous materials due to absorption/ impregnation. Other factors including temperature and other chemical compounds that may come into contact with the cured JB Weld may also contribute to it's failure. Certain types of metals/ alloys and even some plastics simply don't jive well with JB Weld and tolerance between materials can also be a factor... where too small or too large of a gap between parts won't allow it to bond effectively. It bonds great and is very effective in some situations but certainly there are many instances where it's just not going to work.

wheresthefbomb and c7spheres like this.
  5. skullfxr

skullfxr SS.org Regular

Strip what you can and start doing invasive mods for experience.

Get some level and crown practice from it, and anything else that you can do. Or lift the fretboard just for experience and drop a new truss rod in. If you wreck it, no big deal.

wheresthefbomb and c7spheres like this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

LIke what @High Plains Drifter said. It can be good, but I know what you're saying. Same goes for super glue.
    - I know it works on broken Ibanez parts really well. I've had Lo Pro's break by the knife edge. Like the shell or whatever around it and when done it looks basically like a scratch.
    - I've also used it to weld a hex wrench to my Lo Pro intonation screw that was stripped because it was turning to mush by trying to cut a slit in it so I could flat head screw driver it out. It held anough to torque it loose.
    - It also works good on stripped rack screws. It will weld them together but with a screw driver and firm twist it will come loose and work like a regular thread, but it turns to dust and can get inside so a littel clean up might be needed.

- It's all about surface preperation and most importanatly patience. Gotta let that stuff set for at least 24hrs. I don't care what the package says.

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  7. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Thanks friends, yeah it turns out the cheap fix for this issue to drive downtown and buy a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT for $269.00.

I'm going to strip off all the hardware I've upgraded (which is most of it), swap that to the Epi, and do invasive mods and repairs for experience as suggested.

And then it's going into the wickerman (no, actually). I couldn't bare to give it any less of a sending-off after what we've been through together.

KR250, Crungy, SpaceDock and 2 others like this.
  8. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Sad about the guitar, but I really wanted to say I have used the JB Water Weld and that is legit. It doesn’t work well if the area is wet (they say it should) but when applied to dry plumbing and dried, it works wonders.