I need to evovle, plase aid me.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Fenceclimber, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Fenceclimber

Fenceclimber I love Ibanez

Greetis! I've recently gotten bored making metal music and want something I wan't to enjoy even though I May not end up playing Death or Nevernire on it. I wan't to take some online courses and I wan't to learn some chords and how the relate to eachother inorder so sound good and harmonize. Also how to take an F and a C or whatever on different on the neck. Essentaly the different positions for the same chord.I'm self thought and in the future.

I also wan't to know some theory. I can play a lot of metal, rock and I really I have some understanding of what online teachers on youtoube are the talking baout but I really wan't to know bit more. Please help me advance in me knowing what I'm doing when playing guitar.

Books, online lessions, PDF's e.t.c. are all welcome. Have a great deay
    Thank you very much.

I Am Swedish so pleasy excuse any grammatical errors, thank you.

2. Metalloutd

Metalloutd SS.org Regular

So ... first of all I can't understand ... do you wan't or do you want?!

I essentially believe that in the current state of things a classical approach to the instrument is no longer functional if you want to make different music.
    As you yourself said, just surfing a bit on the web it's quite enough to find a lot of material depending on what you want.
    In my opinion, to learn and create something new, it is necessary above all to listen to a lot of music.

3. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Wikipedia is a great place to start for music theory, there's an article specifically about the topic you requested. Youtubers like Adam Neely or Rick Beato are great for teaching you about the existence of stuff, but personally, I find the format hard to internalize.

4. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

Try and find a good teacher you can go to for private lessons. There are great resources online but nothing beats having a really competent instructor answer your questions, and show you answers to questions you didn't know you had. Don't limit your searching by style or anything. Some old jazz guy might be the perfect fit. I've had some great teachers and none of them really got the music I like and wanted to play.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

The best free beginner to intermediate stuff I've found is: https://www.justinguitar.com/

There's a lot of free YouTube stuff out there. I really like Tom Quayle, Troy Grady, Martin Miller, Rick Graham, Frank Gambale, etc... but they all require you have a basic understanding of theory, otherwise the most you will learn is new patterns and licks, but not the "why".

Mathemagician likes this.
  6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

best first lesson is the major scale, modes and chord construction. learn about intervals for scales and chord construction and you have a gateway to allot of intermediate stuff.

7. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

If I were in your shoes, I would spend some time on jazzguitar.be and mattwarnock.com (they are both Matt Warnock sites) and go through the free lessons. These sites are jazz focused, but most of the lessons are short and you can implement them into your playing fairly quickly. You'll pick up some theory along the way, and IIRC, there are some sections dedicated just to theory if you want to start there. All the lessons have audio examples and tab, so no need for sight reading. I'd start with the theory and the basic jazz chords (II-V-I). I wouldn't spend as much time on the solo'ing exercises, because those are very focused on traditional jazz soloing over traditional chord progressions, unless that kind of thing really piques your interest.

I find knowing some jazz to be really useful for metal composition and soloing, and knowing some jazz chords can really add some flavor to your originals.

Good luck!!!