I need some help regarding a Mastodon video

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by gaunten, Jan 3, 2015.

1. gaunten

gaunten WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!

Hey all! So, I recently got the question "what do the butterflies in the Oblivion video mean?" from a friend of mine, she had some theory of her own about it symbolizing euphoria through brain damage, but couldn't find any info about it, and I promised I'd try to get to the bottom of it.

At first I thought I could easily find out through google, and perhaps a Mastodon forum of some kind. Turns out, I'm stuck. I can't even find an official Mastodon forum, and I can't find any info about the video, at least not about the butterflies. I feel like even though Mastodon has a lot of random stuff going on, it seems like their videos usually have some kind of deeper meaning so I hope it's not just some thing they put there for fun.

So, if anyone knows if there is any official statement on the butterflies, or if you have any personal interpretations, throw them at me!

This is the video in question, and the butterflies start appearing after around 3:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U

2. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Maybe they just thought they'd look cool.

I just can't stop looking at those jiggling butts in the Motherload video.

3. ghost_of_karelia

ghost_of_karelia Utrydd dei Svake

Echoing the above. A lot of Mastodon's intellectual approach is built on "it sounds cool" or "it looks cool".

I mean damn if anybody has an intensely spiritual connection with a Cysquatch and wants to tell me how selling wood for crack changed their life, let me know.

4. SeaBeast

SeaBeast SS.org Regular

Well the song has themes about Brann's sister committing suicide when they were young. Maybe the butterflies are symbolically her? Maybe not who knows.

5. gaunten

gaunten WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!

I initially thought about this as well, the album being named after her and all, but from what official info I can find, it seems only the title track is about Skye. but maybe it's the whole album? I suggested this to my friend as well.

6. SeaBeast

SeaBeast SS.org Regular

I know the lyrics here at least are about Skye. After her suicide Brann was high and started digging the ground of her grave.

I tried to burrow a hole into the ground
    Breaking all the fingers and the nails from my hand
    The eyes of a child see no wrong
    Ignorant bliss, impending doom

But it doesn't really answer the butterfly question! Haunting lyrics either way.

7. Aion

Aion SS.org Regular

The entire album is about Skye. It's sometimes takes some real eye-squinting interpretation, but when you realize which lyrics are about her it's paralyzingly beautiful. Crack the Skye might be the only metal album that brought me near tears.

Anyway, I don't think the butterflies actually mean anything. The same light that eventually leads Hinds to take off his helmet and Kelliher to go out the airlock is seen at the very beginning just before we see that Dailor is helmet-less. However, we don't see what was in the light, just that it was. It later becomes clear that the light was the illusion that there were butterflies and foliage, which would indicate that one would be able to breathe in space. This is, as proven by the three band (shuttle crew) members deaths.

This leads to some interesting questions. Three different people saw the light but its never clear if they saw the same thing. Was it a shared hallucination brought on by the loneliness of space, or is some actual real force? Personally I think they all saw butterflies and the butterflies were just "proof," that they didn't need their suits. It's a surreal premise, but I dig it.