I need new pedals and a power supply, help?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by willyman101, Jul 24, 2013.

1. willyman101

willyman101 SS.org Regular

I haven't been on here in a while so hello again! I come to you bearing questions. My band's starting to take off a little bit and I've come to that wonderful point as a guitarist where I actually NEED to buy more pedals to improve my live sound.

I currently only have an MXR Carbon Copy delay and a tuner on my board but need to get a reverb pedal, a second dealy with tap tempo, a treble boost and a power supply, and I've got around £350 to bring that all together, which isn't a lot. So what I'd like to know is, what's a solid, dependable power supply? And any glowing recommendations for the other pedals mentioned? Cheers!

2. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

If you're going to stay in the 9v territory, i'd say nothing much could be a OneSpot. I still have mine even though i sold all my pedals but like, 3 :lol: and its great, never had any issues with it, and its cheap. BUT, if you're going to be using any 18v pedals, then try out a Dunlop Powerbrick. I had one of those as well and it too was fine at what it did with zero issues.

3. JordanStGodard

JordanStGodard SS.org Regular

I hate to be rude, but the 1SPOT by Visual Sound is one of the most terrible purchases I ever made on the planet. The 1SPOT is TERRIBLE. I used one and it feeds incredible hum into your signal and even a noise suppressor can't fix it. Take my advice, don't go cheap on power supplies. You'll want a high quality one so that it does the job right and protects your pedals from voltage issues.

The Pedal Power 2 by Voodoo Lab is great. I've used it for everything I've run in my signal with it and I can always rely on it. I've played at venues where the power has gone out and ruined some equipment of their's (speakers). The pedal power protected my board from getting toasted!

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus | Sweetwater.com

Additionally, if you prefer a larger and more versatile powering solution, you could always go with the CIOKS CIOKOLATE.

Cioks - POWER SUPPLIES FOR EFFECT PEDALS

4. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

+ for cioks!:yesway:

5. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Its not being rude man, just your opinion :wavey: when i ran my board (with the OneSpot), i daisy chained it thru:
    NS-2, Black label chorus, Boss SD-1, Digitech Whammy, Dunlop Rotovibe and Zakk Wylde wah and had zero issues, BUT that may have been in part because of my NS-2 cleaning up the sound. Anytime i have ever used adapters, be it stock OEM adapters or aftermarket, they 9 times out of 10 ALWAYS put out some God awful ground hum. And i have played those gigs too where you were worried about bumping into a quad box and getting juiced too lmao and never had any issues, but i may have just been lucky lol. But the OneSpot worked out great for me :agreed: To the OP, see about getting the power supply from a good store that has a return policy if you can't got to a local store to try them out. Just pick and choose until you get the one that jives with your rig.

6. mulgreaux

mulgreaux Daemoness Guitars

+1 for the Pedal Power Plus 2. I have two of them and they're excellent.

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Or the Voodoo ISO 5 if you want the Pedal Power 2, but don't need all those features (and want to spend less).

8. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I never had issues with the onespot powering 4 pedals and a wireless.

9. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

Do you want two separate delay units and only one with tap tempo or 1 delay unit that has 2 delays with tap tempo? Will you be using them together?

10. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

my vote is for a Ehx Cathedral reverb it has buillt in delay too with tap tempo get a boss ns2 noise gate and a moded Ibanez ts9dx tubescreamer, add exotic clean boost and any other boxes you wish with a 1 spot power and you should be fine

11. willyman101

I currently have a Carbon Copy which sounds beautiful, so ideally I'd like to use the CC to add subtle delay alongside another delay with a tap tempo. I suppose I could sell the Carbon Copy to buy something better that does everything I want. EHX Deluxe Memory Boy looks quite good but I've also been looking at the Vox Time Machine.

12. willyman101

This might sound moronic, I'm not very clued up with power supplies, the Voodoo Lab ISO 5 has 4 9v outputs. Would it be possible to power multiple pedals out of one output using a link cable?