I Need Music Recommendations

FourT6and2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The tunes I listen to in my regular rotation are great, but I need something new.

Stuff I really love: Tool, Karnivool, A Perfect Circle, Muse.

Basically if it's heavy, progressive, has melody, and a really killer rhythm section that knows how to groove (Karnivool is a great example), I'm all for it. I've kinda heard a few tunes from Monuments and Skyharbor. They're cool, but so far haven't really blown me away.

I can't stand screeching cookie-monster vocals. UNLESS... they are accompanied by some real singing. Killswitch Engage is about as cookie-monster as I can stand.

Any suggestions?

Science_Penguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always recommend Ayreon to anyone into Prog. Or, honestly, anything by Arjen Lucassen. This guy's best-known for pioneering the "Metal Opera" which is essentially a concept album wherein multiple vocalists from different bands show up to play different roles.

My favourite album of his is 01011001, which is one of his heavier Ayreon entires, featuring such legendary Metal vocalists as Jørn Lande, Hansi Kürsch, and Floor Jansen. You might also like Theory of Everything, Into the Electric Castle, and Universal Migrator, but they have kind of an old-school 70's Prog feel in a way.

Slightly more straightforward from him would be Star One, which is pretty heavy, and some songs from his solo albums as well.

If it's specifically Progressive METAL, you gotta at least give Dream Theater a try ('Awake' might be the album to start with).
Symphony X takes a neoclassical approach to it, but they're still heavy ('The Odyssey' might be my favourite album of theirs.)

And, just cos I'm an arse, here's a couple of troll suggestions:

Island- a Swiss Prog Rock project from the 70's. They're kind of hard to find so I'll provide a link to this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5XP4-gmuQ
Yes, that is H.R. Geiger artwork on that album cover.
No guitars to be found on this one, it's all organ, accompanied by clarinet and saxophone. Don't get much more eclectic than that without going full avant-garde... and speaking of...

The Residents- An anonymous avant-garde group, known for performing in masks... and also writing some of the most surreal, odd music you've ever heard. It's that sort of artisy crap that's comical, but... most likely intentionally so. This isn't some pretentious screwballs making garbage and claiming "Well, clearly you just don't GET it..." they know exactly what they are.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
This here is my favorite album. It's basically the best fusion of progressive and melodic death metal I've yet to hear. I'd say the vocals are on par with KsE intensity-wise. Will you like it? I don't know, but I'd say it's worth mentioning.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
this might be a little heavy for you but still:

this is essential

new Frost* - nuff said

and Headspace - essentially Inside/Out is th erecordlabel you've been looking for!

FourT6and2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
agreed with later Katatonia. also, Intronaut come to mind:

Yeah, I saw Intronaut in a small bar a few months ago. They were ok. I really like one of their songs. I forgot the name. The but the video has this dude getting ....faced in a bar dressed as a dolphin.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a fellow Tool fanboi who has spent his life on a similar quest, allow me to introduce you to Giant Squid. They have screaming vocals but also beautiful cleans, and juxtapose the two wonderfully. Their rhythm section kills. Their songwriting kills. All their albums are stellar, but this song is good intro. Sadly, they broke up last year.

this is another one of my favorites by them, it's a hefty 21 minutes but if you're anything like me you'll find yourself wishing it lasted forever

I'm probably pushing it with this one, Yob's vocals are pretty typical of doom metal (reverbed out shrieking) but they're a truly amazing band and have toured with Tool. Songwriting is on point, excellent guitar tones, and killer riffs from outer space. I saw them live last year and it was outstanding, though they played over two hours and I was physically exhausted by the end.

Bonus, I saw this band with Yob and their rhythm positively kills. Proggy as hell, lots of changes, almost manic. Plus their stage presence was great, the guitarist was running and hopping around while he was shredding and he'd stop every minute or two to cackle madly into the microphone. I had never heard them before and they blew me away.

Cheers man, hope you enjoy some of that.

jerm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Evergrey. I would start with The Inner Circle and Recreation Day.

Wildebeest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tesseract, all 3 albums are excellent. I'll link a few songs when I get home from work.