I need help identifying this cymbal

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Fretless, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

Okay I spent about 3 hours at the local guitar center trying all sorts of cymbals out today trying to figure out what the band Town Portal used on their song Entropia. The cymbal has a very short decay and is really awesome sounding and I want to get something like it. The closest we got was stacking a splash on top of a 12" china. It was close, but still not right. Can anyone help me identify the cymbal?

Town Portal Here's a link to their bandcamp page. They're pretty awesome if you ask me. You can hear the cymbal being used right around 22 seconds into the song. I know it's layered on the snare, but I still love the sound. It's the KASH sounding one.

2. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

some sort of stack, which are impossible to identify from hearing alone.

It's basically impossible to identify a single cymbal just from hearing it, and then of course for a stack you have to identify two individual cymbals and how they interact when stacked on top of each other in different ways.

I'd say it's probably medium sized, 14"-18", any type of china/crash, china/mini-china, china/splash combination.

check out:

he has a stack to the left of the rack tom, which appears to be a small china sitting inside a large china. he plays it around the 1:00 mark.

so yeah. some sort of stack. you'll just have to experiment.

3. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I spent a few days at guitar center the other day, and the closest we got was with a 12" vented China and an ozone splash.