I need a tech....

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by FILTHnFEAR, Feb 24, 2018.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

(not sure if this should be posted here mods, sorry if it's not, please move)

A tech or someone that at least knows what they're doing that is somewhat close to Indianapolis.

I'm having trouble finding someone that isn't some classic rock "if its not Fender or Gibson its not a real guitar" type that's going to turn their nose up at floating trems and 7 strings.

I need some pickup routing and my volume/tone pots replaced and completely rewired.

Surely someone is nearby. Hopefully.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

How far from Chicago are you? Willing to make the trek?

The Music Gallery and Chicago Fretworks are both great shops, and they shouldn't give you any flack for the number of strings or modern trems.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  3. FILTHnFEAR

I'm about 3 hours from Chicago. So a bit of a trek.

There is a guy in Cincinnati I talked to briefly on a FB Ibanez page that said he'd hook it up. Works at a shop, has a bunch of pics of of UV's so he probably knows what's up. I just figured it's something that wasn't a big enough deal to leave state for lol.

But having 2 people jack up my 1527 now, Cincy might be what's gonna happen if I don't find anyone local really soon. It's stressing me out not having my Prestige in proper working order.

Thanks for the suggestion Max.

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Who has messed up your 1527? I have had some fret levelings done by IRC Music that came out OK on 7 strings, but I am not sure about routing and wiring. I usually install my own pickups.

5. FILTHnFEAR

A "tech" at GC(I know I know) and a friend jacked up my 1527.

I should know how to do these things myself by now, but I'm not really willing to practice on my Prestige. Haha.

The drive to Cincy is looking better by the day.

6. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

What's jacked up one it?

7. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Ah, I know this struggle. When I was in Kalamazoo, MI I had a hard time finding someone to work on stuff who actually knew anything, but I did find competent people. The good news is though, that there has to be someone in a place the size of Indy.

The first places to check are "local" music stores that carry more than just Gibson and Fender. They exist. Generally, if a store carries Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, and they also do repairs chances are that's the kind of place you're looking for. Another place that sometimes can yield good results: stores that sell/repair instruments you might find in a symphonic band or orchestra. The guy I had work on all my stuff in Kzoo was the lone guitar guy at a Marshall music (they carry saxophones, trumpets, etc. and do repairs and I think are just in MI). It does require some digging to find a place outside of a major market, but Indy is large enough that someone there or in the suburbs should be competent.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.