I must be getting old- Death Metal isn't what it used to be

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Peralta, Dec 24, 2016.

1. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

2. gogolXmogol

gogolXmogol SS.org Regular

Can't stop headbangin' to this release

their newer stuff is also sick!

3. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

What makes old school death metal special is the tempo changes and how they were used. The much slower, doomier sections, establish theme and atmosphere. The rougher production is also key to giving character to the sound/atmosphere.

This is what newer death metal has almost completely abandoned.

4. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

To be fair, the production thing is an acquired taste more-so. Death metal has been about brutality always but now the brutality comes from performance, pure unadulterated performance, the best ones. Better production is just a means of making the performance clearer and to geive a better representation of the orginal vision (granted it can sound like a product)
    Death metal hasn't gotten better or worse, it has changed in summary. If my death metal band ever took off I'd have both well produced and underproduced versions of my songs, but it just so happens that the majority prefers good production.
    The slower sections and tempo changes still exist, Listen to Nile- Sacrifice unto sebek.
    Hope you find music you like because it sure as hell exists.

5. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

exactly the sorta stuff i posted about on the previous page- "I'm sure you would dig Grave Miasma, Cruciamentum, Mithras, Portal, Paroxsihzem, Ulcerate, Abyssal, Septic Flesh etc etc"

6. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Came in here to mention them. Hardcore bands are channeling a lot of old school death metal influence nowadays and may be worth a listen for those craving the grimier, dirtier, old school death metal sound

7. ProtoTechDeath

ProtoTechDeath SS.org Regular

8. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window

HAHAHA!!! :lol: This blasphemy made me laugh, but since Obituary is your all time favorite, I'm not surprised! Obscura is a seriously challenging listen, and love or hate it its paved the way for many fantastic atonal bands (Ulcerate, for example). I love both bands for different reasons. I saw Obituary at The Crowbar in Tampa and was an instant convert to them. Just good, crushing, old school groove.

To satisfy that niche I'd try:

Dead Congregation
    Cruciamentum
    Sulphur Aeon
    Bloodbath
    Grave Miasma
    Sarpanitum
    Gatecreeper
    Blood Incantation
    Revocation
    Gruesome (Bloody Gore era Death worship!)
    Zealotry
    Abyssal
    Inverloch
    Wormed

Old bands (a few) still cranking out killer tunes:
    Asphyx
    Immolation
    Behemoth
    Carcass
    Disgorge
    Autopsy

Inter Arma is ruling my ears right now for a Stoner/Doom/Sludge mood. I highly recommend them

Your best bet is to dig around on smaller labels because the big name labels tend to carry whatever is the latest flavor. Relapse still carries a lot of varied bands, and there's still tried and true stuff on Metal Blade, Nuclear Blast, Season of Mist, etc. But I would look into Profound Lore, "I, Voidhanger", Southern Lord, Massacre, Willowtip; and check out some of the lesser known review pages. Yourlastrites.com (formerly Metal Review) has been a favorite, as I've been frustrated with the watered down nature of most other popular review pages, often aping about the pop-metal "flavor of the month" bands.

Last note: Morbid Angel brought Chris Tucker back for their next record, and touted it to be a straightforward death metal record, so hopefully they'll nix the industrial gag and return to form.

9. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

Never heard of Agonist before this thread so I browsed through their Prisoner album because I don't like music videos in general. Maybe it's a production thing but there's very little aggression and balls in the songs I briefly listened to. And I'm talking about the fast parts.

I haven't been listening to much modern Death Metal but it's almost guaranteed that there are a ....ton of bands trying to recreate the older Death Metal sound. I bet there are some good ones out there.

10. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

Obscura wasnt so bad for me first listen, mainly because of how much tech death I'd listened to by that point.

11. MAJ Meadows SF

Yeah it takes an ear keen for weirdness, and if my first listen to it was back in 1998 I'd probably feel like Peralta does. I can't say it's a go to listen either, but something about it draws me back. Seeing them play the title track live was pretty fvcking amazing.

One more OSDM recommendation:

Drawn and Quartered - crusty, evil, death metal. "No Absolution" off Feeding Hell's Furnace is a favorite track.

...I probably should have included Incantation on my original reply too. Their last two records are rock freaking solid.

12. Kwert

Kwert SS.org Regular

Check out the latest album by Ripper, as well as Denouncement Pyre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpcj0hP_v2k&list=PLCGfkOLHfxyd1hk624EKhZCYZcE3kvI5G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUhcZ9s_cU

There's also a new album by Inverloch, which is the logical continuation to disEMBOWELMENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxrp-sZAXIo

2016 release by Minotaur Head. Death/Doom with members of Hail of Bullets and Asphyx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26m1rguZWrs

edit: How could I forget Chthe'iilst? If you miss Demilich, you will love this band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKmxHLybyOs

13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Came here to recommend a band most people haven't heard of: Desecrecy
    It's OSDM, but with a tinge of doom
    As a death metal listener who is also not particularly interested in bands like Gorod, Spawn of Possession, Rivers of Nihil, Fallujah, Black Crown Initiate, etc. I can recommend Desecrecy's album: The Doom Skeptron

14. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

There is a moment right in the middle that sounds exactly like Demigod :scream: :metal:

15. Kwert

Kwert SS.org Regular

Nothing like some good old-school Finnish death metal.

16. MAJ Meadows SF

THANK YOU :bowdown: This band is excellent! And I'm a listener to everything. I like crusty OSDM to super clean and slick tech death. This is just strong-as-balls death metal. Definitely playing this on repeat.

17. MAJ Meadows SF

This record, by many measures and also the fact that they are my favorite modern band, is one of the best all around modern (2000 era) death metal releases this century. It's phvcking ferocious and balanced. They won't ever top it.

18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I listened to that Decapitated album, and it was awesome! How is "more modern" death metal worse than that, though? I mean, it sounded like basically my idea of death metal. I've never been big on the genre since it usually just kind of wears out my ear and makes me want to listen to something else after 10 minutes, so I'm pretty ignorant. I think the only "regular" death metal albums I have listened to very much might be a handful of the early-mid Immolation records, and Formulas Fatal to the Flesh (the only Morbid Angel album I really liked all the way through!). I've heard plenty of the sub-subgenre junk though, if you want to put it that way (ex tons of melo-death, some techy stuff like Atheist, Cynic, Gorguts, Martyr, etc). I just am not really familiar with the "straight-ahead" stuff since so little of what I've heard has been appealing in full-album format.

Oh yeah, that Cannibal Corpse album with "Dead Human Collection" on it is pretty great :p

19. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau SS.org Regular

HOLY HELL YESSSS!!! A Celebration of Guilt is such an amazing album! When I think of an album with just the right balance between melody and brutality, this is the first that comes to my mind.

20. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

I would not consider The Agonist as a death metal band.. I would just consider them 'metal' or 'modern metal' or whatever.. Since it includes singing which I am not so fond of tbh.. They went all out commercial with the new gal..

But you have some great new death metal bands out there and even some deathcore bands!!
    -I know deathcore gets a bad rep, but you have some really good bands out there that more death metal than many bands that claim to be death metal these days..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJmqONhjuk

And check this for fun, since you like Hypocrisy (I love them and even got to share the stage with them on a festival one time!!!) **funny story below**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXtAnmQMYL4

**It was Peter's Birthday back in 2012 and they played a sick set with a lot of oldies and of course the crowd got to sing 'happy birthday' for him.. After that there was a lot of drinking in the backstage.. Next morning; the whole place is in a state of panic and everyone is searching for Peter, it was next to the sea, so people were rightfully in panic since he might have went drunk swimming.. They couldn't find him until the first band hit the stage at around 1PM.. He was passed out behind the drums on the main stage of the festival.. Good times!**