I let my lead guitar do the singing for me. Check it

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not good at vocals so I always made up leads that sounded cool to drive the riff. Over the years, I found that I make up a good lead, THEN made up the rest of the song. Anyone else do this? Tell me what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/beeg-3/good-idea-98

(side-note: I'm aware the beginning sounds like "Bleed." I'm not even a fan of Meshuggah)

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
I do that with most of my songs, but then I try to add vocals based upon the lead I made on guitar.

Your example is seriously awesome by the way! Your leads are very much like mine, as well as some of your harmony. I dig it!

jbab

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really digging the lead, especially the first few seconds after it first comes in!

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
About halfway through the song you go from Meshuggah to Scar Symmetry, I like it very much!

I seriously love Scar Symmetry. I only found them about 6 months ago(don't hate me) and I guess it just unconsciously blended into my style.

toastman119911

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, this is pretty sick, man. Mix is tight, maybe bring the overheads down a touch, and work on the snare a bit as well, it's quite flat sounding (compression, and some verb should do it).
Overall, well done!

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, this is pretty sick, man. Mix is tight, maybe bring the overheads down a touch, and work on the snare a bit as well, it's quite flat sounding (compression, and some verb should do it).
Overall, well done!

I've never really been good with snares :(

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Sounds sick as hell man. The snare is the only thing, as was pointed out.

I have trouble with getting snares to sound good as well, freakin snares!

surfthealien

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sounds great to me. I am a total sucker for the melodic stuff. I freaking love the solo that starts two minutes in. Blew me away bro great stuff!

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sounds great to me. I am a total sucker for the melodic stuff. I freaking love the solo that starts two minutes in. Blew me away bro great stuff!

Ha me too man. I'll put on my angry face and play something super heavy, then forget 3 or 4 measures later and it will turn into a full-balls-to-the-wall melodic song...

raze8000

Reaction score
that was done with a line6??? hd or pod?? fuck!!! how do u get that tight-ass tone man?? for the rythm???? insane...i m totally digging the rythm tone!!! and btw nice stuff too!!!

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
that was done with a line6??? hd or pod?? fuck!!! how do u get that tight-ass tone man?? for the rythm???? insane...i m totally digging the rythm tone!!! and btw nice stuff too!!!

Yea, man. A pod X3 Pro. Well I'm just using a tone that I tweaked a little, as well as cutting out the 75hz, and 8.5khz and above. I think it helps more that I play until I get the 2 guitars as tight as I can. Thanks for listening!

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fucking nice, friend.

Thanks, man.

ALSO, if anyone is interested, I have a 5 song EP, including this one, that will be done with the mixing/mastering stage at the actual studio in a month or two, and I'm gonna try to get the other guys to just let me give it out to everyone for free...

raze8000

Reaction score
and ur going directly to audio interface with 1/4's??? i asked paul wardingham and he sed he goes via xlrs. and i have had terrible experiences with the usb connection. ...

too......much.....parameters......i m going crazy

neways enough of my bitching......terrific stuff bro....cheers!! \m/

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
and ur going directly to audio interface with 1/4's??? i asked paul wardingham and he sed he goes via xlrs. and i have had terrible experiences with the usb connection. ...

too......much.....parameters......i m going crazy

neways enough of my bitching......terrific stuff bro....cheers!! \m/

Haha, I just have a 1/4" going to my scarlett 8i6 interface, then usb into my computer. Nothing special I swear! I also have a beast of a computer so that might help with things....

BeeG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great stuff!!!! :hbang:

what did you use for the drums on this?

Thanks! For drums, I have a drummer record on his electric through superior drummer. He sends me the stems and I mix accordingly. I don't really know the settings he uses though...