I have seen the light! Gear that you loved immediately.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by TheBlackBard, Jan 1, 2021.

1. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

I've been a sap for 24 fret PRS guitars. A couple that I've instantly been enamored with and kept with me after all this time would be my 2011 Custom 24 and my 2004 CE-24.

iamaom, High Plains Drifter and fps like this.
  2. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Floyd rose terms.

Just love em, even if changing strings is a pain.

BenjaminW, groverj3 and Emperoff like this.
  3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

After discovering sharp picks, I knew that for most of what I play, I'd never go back to standard blunt shapes. EB Prodigy 1.5 is my fave so far.

EHX Big Muff Pi Green Russian... So well balanced and so versatile. Fell in love with it instantly.

4. ChrispyFinch

ChrispyFinch SS.org Regular

MY PRS CU24, perfect neck shape, perfect all around.
    Dunlop Flow picks
    BKP Warpigs (in a mayones), holy hell are those things monstrous!

fps likes this.
  5. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Picks- I started using the .88 jazz picks about 5 years ago and instantly my picking technique cleaned up, got faster and more accurate. Then Petrucci came out with his sig Jazz III pick. I thought it was snake oil, the slanted sides sliding off the string easier. I tried some for shits and giggles and it wasn’t snake oil. It’s not a HUGE improvement, but enough that when I go to grab a pick, I’ll seek them out over the hundreds of jazz picks I have.

I think the most significant Aha! I’ve had so far was with mixing and realizing how the bass actually creates the low end on an album rather than thick ass guitar tones. Completely changed my preferences for guitar tones and my way of dialing them in. Same for bass.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Switching from Fender XH 1.14mm picks to Dunlop 500 1.5mm picks (because Yngwie). My technique improved, and so did my tone.

Getting my first overdrive pedal and using it to boost my amp. Thanks, HCAF.

Not exactly gear-related, but i just want to mention things that made me see the Light:

1. Wiring up my Strat for series/parallel/single on each pickup. Gave me tons of versatility. Now, in my eyes stock guitars will always lack something.

2. Learning to do my own fretwork. I bought the tools, learned as much as i can from one book (no internet resources at the time), and refretted my Strat, which at the time was my only guitar. First try was a charm and i did it right.

7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

absolutely was love at first sight and love at the first time i heard my orange 4x12.

fps likes this.
  8. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

i did a huge pick shootout and was surprised how they affect the sound and feel. the dunlop primetone jazz III was the best of the bunch of pretty much every dunlop pick made and some ernie ball prodigy picks as well. tone wise they had the most pick attack/aggression in rhythm playing and also had the least amount of pick scrape and noise artifacts , which lead to it sounding the clearest and fullest of the 20 picks I tried. they also were the most glassy and smooth feeling making fast playing and alternate picking noticeably easier and the way the high G B and E strings were attacked when you plucked them was in such a smooth pleasant way compared to the others which had an added harshness to the high strings. every other pick had some form of pros/cons or sounding weaker than one another and some level of added noise/scraping , but this was the ONLY one that was all pros no cons.

9. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    This is how I feel about any stock guitar. I'm always searching for crazy switches and wiring ideas from the past 10 to 15 years. Freeway Switches an Seymour Duncan Tripleshot rings are crazy shit combined...

Acme and adrianb like this.
  10. Wusthof XIII

Wusthof XIII SS.org Regular

0287C9E1-564A-44CD-B8B1-81FC7E6B9F6C.jpeg Febder Bassbreaker 45 2x12. I then added an alnico cream back and an alnico goldback and using some 1950’s Baldwin yellow labels with long black plates. I would challenge any other speaker setup on the tone that this combo is putting out. Also, the bare knuckle humbucker in the bridge position on my 7-string PRS, cuts through a mix quite easily.

Zhysick likes this.
  11. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

Wizard neck:
    From the first time I played an Ibanez Wizard neck, I never wanted to play a guitar without one again.

Jazz III pick:
    My accuracy and speed instantly improved. Standard-sized picks feel so clunky and poorly designed now. I used the red Max Grip version for a few years, but am now firmly settled with the Ultex Jazz III. Anyone who finds them too small (and has actually allowed time to get used to them) should try the Jazz III XL or John Petrucci's sig pick (halfway between standard Jazz III and XL Jazz III in size).

12. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

I haven't tried Primetone. How does it compare to Ultex in terms of feel / rigidity?

13. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

well the primetone jazz III , the yellow ultex, and the black petrucci were all made of ultex but had a different sound. the yellow ultex didnt play as smoothly as the primetone ultex and was a thinner pick resulting in an ever slightly thinner sound than the other two thicker picks with less atack and less volume coming off the strings as theyre plucked. the black petrucci ultex was actually so big and thick that it added too much bass emphasis and started to muddy the sound. even out of the ultex lineup the primetone jazz III was the only one with no cons in both sound and feel with the utmost clarity,attack,volume,smoothness, and completely free of noise artifacts. I was really floored picks could sound this different even of the same material.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  14. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I avoided Dean guitars like the plague because I associated it with white trash wannabes who thought Dime was Jesus. Funny enough I had a drummer who was one such person. His brother played guitar and was the same way. He had, as you could guess, Dean Dime guitars. I tried his green bumblebee Razorback and it forever changed my life. I literally did not know that guitars could be that comfortable and I then realized that my entire guitar playing life I'd been playing the wrong neck profile. Big bodied guitars with a V neck profile were perfect for me.

I stopped playing guitar for a couple of years but when I went back, I shook off my opinions of Deans and I've been playing them ever since.

15. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Elixir Strings. For years I wondered who even buys them with all these other great brands out there. I think I bought a pack of them last year because that was the only brand the store had in the gauge I wanted. Instantly fell in love with them. That special coating they use really makes a difference. I'd use them in all of my guitars but sadly my local store that's actually physically the biggest store in the whole Northern Europe doesn't really carry them anymore. What a shame.

Emperoff likes this.
  16. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

stringsnordic.com - Elixir

17. kerryymm

kerryymm SS.org Regular

Orange Dark Terror. At the time I was gigging a mk1 Rockerverb 50, and for what I wanted the Dark Terror sounded better, plus it didn't break my back & arms every time I had to load in and out

EmaDaCuz and Bearitone like this.
  18. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Those seem pretty expensive, I coukd swear that I can get a pack of them for under 10€ here + there's probably shipping fees. Thanks, anyway.

19. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Funny you should mention the Freeway; i was just thinking of how i might possibly integrate that into my Strat's wiring. If i didn't find pickup mounting rings fugly i might give the Tripleshot a shot. I do love the concept though.

20. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Neunaber Immerse MKII. Got it recently, and I don’t remember ever being in love with a piece of gear so immediately. Been chasing the ambient reverb dragon for awhile and now I’m finally riding it.

The W3T setting and Hall Setting are heaven. So many small little nuances in the decay it’s hard to even describe.

Just, if you any of want to try it, do NOT cheap out and buy the MK1. Similar algorithms but, too fucking dry. Too subtle. Weak. No way to blend in more verb and less dry in the mix. Get the MKII.