I have never played through a real tube amp..

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by AwakenTheSkies, Apr 7, 2021.

1. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

I think amps are great and DO sound superior. However, I do agree with most of the comments regarding amps being too loud for an apartment.

I may one day go back to modeling but I tell ya, you stand in a room where you're playing through a real 100 watt amp(whichever model) and the other guitarist across the room is playing through a modeler(whichever)... the amp will just eat up all the air in the room and the modeller won't be heard. I've seen plenty of interviews with the pros saying the same thing.

But I do agree, every situation is different.

2. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Helix costs more than all 3 tube amps I currently owned put together :2c:

3. Choop

Choop n______n

It also has a large selection of effects and several routing options for recording and live play, and has stripped down versions to suit players who may need less. Everybody's needs are different for sure, but there is a huge value in the Helix or similar good quality modelers. I mean I prefer amps as well, just can't deny the practicality and excellent value of modelers these days.

4. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

Ohhh, no way, when I say tube amp I mean a cool tube amp like a Mesa Rectifier, 6505, Diezel VH4, SLO, Archon, Fender Deluxe, VC30, Uberschall, etc. Those are the amps I'd like to play.

Brett Taylor and c7spheres like this.
  5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Gonna want an assortment of cabs.

AwakenTheSkies and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  6. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Recently let my friend's 16 year old son, who has only ever played Line 6 combos, play through my Invective and 4x12 cranked up.

He couldn't stop grinning the whole time he played and his mom had to drag him out when it was time to leave. She told me yesterday he hasn't stopped talking about getting a half stack. Pretty cool to let him experience that for the first time.

Yes OP, you're missing out.

7. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

For recording I only use DIs + modelers for the sake of experimentation/convenience. I love the sound and feel of amp models through headphones, but I can't stand playing them through monitors. So I'm fortunate enough to have a tube head and cab for pleasure and practice.

Seriously, one of my favorite things is to crank my amp (when possible), put in hearing protection, and just lay on the floor with my head against the speaker.

@FILTHnFEAR You've done that boy a wonderful service.

c7spheres likes this.
  8. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

Very cool. For me, I am a big fan of Misha, but his aggressive salesman behavior really puts me off. I don't think he's dishonest but with marketing this aggressive it's feels like the products are more hype than anything. I would rather just buy a normal 6505, which should be a safer bet, it's also cheaper and many professionals use it in recording.

I would also love to buy a VOX AC30 combo if I could, with a compressor in front, it's the perfect mix of gain and clean that I use for practicing. And it would be sick for recording bright cleans too. But it wouldn't cover the high gain territory which is a big deal for me. Being realistic the PRS MT-15 sounds good for me, I am a big fan of Mark Tremonti as well. I wish it had a attenuated output to use with an interface, or a USB.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

never owned a tube amp, just used cheap crap and modelers for a decade +. tried my friends marshall + orange after a decade of playing and understood the difference, so I bought a Kemper. sounds tubey enough to me, and works like an actual modern piece of technology. not sentimental for anything analogue

TedEH likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

You've created a monster. A jam monster!

Emperoff, FILTHnFEAR and aesthyrian like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

Man you're missing out. That visceral gut punch from playing an amp into a 4x12 makes playing feel more "alive" for lack of a better word. That being said it is absolutely not necessary with how good modeling tech is anymore. It's just a fun experience that every guitarist should experience. I always enjoy playing more (and practice way more) when I get to actually use my amps at a decent volume. Not really feasible for me anymore so I run them via a loadbox to my computer for silent playing/recording.

I remember when I first started playing in the early 2000s and man did modeling suck comparatively. The only decent ones at that time imo were the peavey vypyrs, which were kind of stupid since you could get real peavey tube amps for cheaper typically.

Emperoff, Millul and Flappydoodle like this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The thing with using digital gear is that you can't just make your presets that you use for (relatively) quiet practice just louder nor can you ignore outboard gear like power amps and speakers. I think those are the most common mistakes and would certainly lead to someone getting buried in the mix or just having shitty tone in general when played in a band/live music context.

You can hear almost instantly when someone didn't make their presets at live volume, and especially when they don't consider the live mix. It's always over gainy, flubs out, and messy.

I'm all for real amps, I still have some, but if you know what you're doing you can absolutely bury a traditional half stack with modeling gear and solid state power.

Emperoff, SCJR, Millul and 4 others like this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Arguably, some are just bad at dialing in real amps anyway. At this point, I imagine most gear is good enough that getting buried is usually not the gear's fault.

14. Robstonin

Robstonin SS.org Regular

This is where I've been for years. I started with a Digitech RP100 multi-effects unit that gave me just what you said: being able to switch from one combination of amp, cab and effects to another with nothing more than stepping on a button. Quality was obviously lacking with the RP100 but you get used to that kind of convenience real quick.
    I bought a Laney VH100R maybe three years after I started playing guitar and although I liked the tone I was put off by the inconvenience of dealing with the channels and effects posed by that kind of setup unless I went full MIDI.
    All of my friends who play guitar use tube amps and I've tried countless ones loud for hours but I've never been amazed to the point of giving up on the convenience and variety offered by digital setups and yes, as you said, the fun that can be had so easily.

15. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

16. brector

brector SS.org Regular

17. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Yet here we are.

fabronaut and brector like this.
  18. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

For all of you tooting that someone is missing out by not playing through tube amps, I'll say you are missing out by not playing through a full PA.
    :taunt:

I'm joking around. However, I do run my AX8 through my old band's PA in my basement with two QSC HPR122i and a HPR151W. Yes, that's a 1500W PA in my basement. Instead of a simple amp in the room, if you want to get the sound of when you saw your favorite band live, try running a modeler a full powerful PA. I also have a Mark IV, TriAxis, and Quad along with a Mesa 4x12 and will sometimes switch between and AX8/PA and a Boogie through the 4x12. I don't think anyone would miss out one way or the other.

To go with that, some of you seem to be confusing tube with a 4x12, where you should take into account not just whether it is a tube amp, but also what kind of cab you are running through. My Mark IV is a open back combo, and it is quite a different experience to run it through the closed back 4x12.

A modeler will do the job quite well if you have enough power and good speakers.

Definitely! Two anecdotes:

1. A decade ago I had dialed in my old Axe-Fx Standard at a quiet rehearsal. The next gig, it was torture fixing my levels and tones at full stage volume. If you are going to play live, make sure you first dial in your tones at full gig volume along with your band to make sure everything works together.

2. At a jam with a few other guitarists, vocals, drums, and bass, I was using the AX8 through one QSC HPR122i, some of my favorite tones were not cutting through, and I didn't want to compensate by just trying to overpower them with sheer wattage. Fortunately, I had plenty of different presets for different tones and found a great one that had the correct frequencies to cut right through while allowing the other instruments to have their own sonic space. It didn't have anything to do with tube vs modeler. It just depends on which frequencies you emphasize to cut through the mix.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    budda likes this.
  19. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

What I love most about tube amps is the "immediacy" of the experience. It's something digital can't do, there's always that lag between when you hit the strings and when the output arrives. It's just milliseconds, sure, but that's the thing about analog, there is no latency with those tube amps. You feel it the most when playing more rhythmically, such as when chugging on the low strings.

I'm like the OP, as in I never played a tube amp till I was in my 30s. Growing up, I was first using digital FX and solid state amps. Zoom 505II, Marshall MG50DFX, Boss GT-8. My first serious processor was a Kemper, but I traded that for an EVH5150III and a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

Haven't looked back after that. I bought a Kemper again, but I prefer my tube amps to anything digital. If you get a reactive load, even the complaint about them being too loud goes away.

I'm lucky that I never seem to piss off my neighbours though, I've really blasted those things and while I've got one or two minor complaints, no visits from the cops (touch wood).

Emperoff, Neon_Knight_ and c7spheres like this.
  20. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Lopp likes this.