I hate my guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually like some Laguna guitars. Not bad for the money.

And to the guy who smashed his 607B, I understand your feeling(I smashed my Jackson JS2T a few months ago), but seek mental help. Please.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
Alcohol is a bitch..

I had a nat 607B that I'd own for years.. Bought a black one as a backup and it didnt compare. Looking back, it was a mistake of course. I could've returned it. But a beer, jager, jack night + being in the presence of the shit playing fiddle = death to blackie (the guitar of course).

So, thanx for all those concerned. The state of my mental health could be matter of opinion after knowing what I allowed myself to do with $1000 of my dollars, but I'm prolly better off for smashing it. After waking the next day and realizing the stupidity of my actions, I vowed not to drink like that again.. and still after 5 years, I havent.. so maybe it was a good thing.

I cant speak for the OP.. If it was someones only guitar, I'd say learn what you can about setting it up and maintaining it the best you can. Learn how to get the most from it. If the Laguna were mine, I'd pick any opportune time to rid myself of it in a destructive manner.. just for fun. But I have seven other guitars, so the pain it would cause me would be equivalent to a mosquito bite.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
OP Get a quality instrument. Go to Guitar Center and play fucking EVERYTHING. Even if you think you won't like it do it. I didn't think I'd like V's....now I am addicted to them.
I can recommend the C-7 Custom from Schecter. VERY classy, and the one I played the guy kindly set it up for me ( even though I told him I didn't have the $ but was interested in getting it in time). It played extremely smoothly and sounded amazing. NEW SCHECTER C-7 CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR +SEYMOUR DUNCAN | eBay best pics of it around for sure.
Even if one doesn't play great ask them if they would set it up for you. If they REALLY want to make a sale they will gladly do so. On that note ALWAYS bring your tuner because at GC they're usually set up like shit, and always horribly out of tune.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never had an instrument that I hated.... My Peavey Raptor Plus did the job!

My suggestion is to pull what you can get out of the instrument until you can upgrade, it's only going to make you a better player later on.

Dayn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't really hate it, but I didn't really play it anymore. My old BC Rich six-string, because I have my RG2228 now...

The way I fixed it was to mod it out. New tuners; new bridge; lubricate the nut; new pickup ring; new non-rusted screws; new pickup; new electronics; drill a hole (oops); new knobs; use that new hole to put in a tone knob; slightly widen the nut of the sixth string for a heavier gauge. Have fun with weird tunings.

Only the neck and body are original now. 'Twill be a Christmas gift now.

danieluber1337

☻☺☻☼☺☻☺
Reaction score
The only two seven-strings within 985189453 miles of where I live aren't that great. There may be more of which I'm unaware, but the Guitar Center in Independence and the local music store (St. Joseph) are the only places that have one... The one in guitar center has been there for almost a year. The one in the local store is a Dean Vendetta or something, and I don't really like it.

Actually, I should check the Musician's Friend that's around here. Maybe they will have something...

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
My suggestion is to pull what you can get out of the instrument until you can upgrade, it's only going to make you a better player later on.

This x1000.

Cheap gear makes for a better player IMO. Learning to work on that cheap gear to make your playing better as your skill progresses is also important to getting an idea of what ultimately you will like in a higher quality instrument.

dizzy

n_n
Reaction score
Only truly awful guitar I've ever owned was the crappy strat knockoff (Encore or Squire or something, I forget now) that I learned on about 20 years ago. Even hated the colour.

My advice if money is an issue is to develop an eye for a second hand bargain and learn to do guitar repairs/refinishes/etc. yourself. When I was a starving student, I picked up a Washburn and a Jackson, both in pretty sorry condition and fixed them up for a fraction of the cost of buying either one of them new. Despite being toured to hell and back, both are still going strong 15 years later.

Mendez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This x1000.

Cheap gear makes for a better player IMO. Learning to work on that cheap gear to make your playing better as your skill progresses is also important to getting an idea of what ultimately you will like in a higher quality instrument.

+ 1

When i started playing guitar, I messed with tons of guitars in GC. I didn't like the music man JP models too much (poor set up and sticky necks :nuts:). Fast forward a few years later and now i've traded and owned 10+ guitars ranging from cheap to high end. Gotta say i really appreciate my music man JP right now, just feels absolutely awesome compared to all the stuff I've played in the past. No way i would of known that if i didn't go through the budget guitars first. :agreed:

Don Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alcohol is a bitch..

I had a nat 607B that I'd own for years.. Bought a black one as a backup and it didnt compare. Looking back, it was a mistake of course. I could've returned it. But a beer, jager, jack night + being in the presence of the shit playing fiddle = death to blackie (the guitar of course).

So, thanx for all those concerned. The state of my mental health could be matter of opinion after knowing what I allowed myself to do with $1000 of my dollars, but I'm prolly better off for smashing it. After waking the next day and realizing the stupidity of my actions, I vowed not to drink like that again.. and still after 5 years, I havent.. so maybe it was a good thing.

I cant speak for the OP.. If it was someones only guitar, I'd say learn what you can about setting it up and maintaining it the best you can. Learn how to get the most from it. If the Laguna were mine, I'd pick any opportune time to rid myself of it in a destructive manner.. just for fun. But I have seven other guitars, so the pain it would cause me would be equivalent to a mosquito bite.
Everything happens for a reason I guess. :flame:

ayambakar

The Giver of Likes
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. :yesway:

I didn't really hate my first guitar (Cort X-6) but the rust and hardware damage can be overwhelming. Cracked my floyd's threaded bushing :noplease:

Cheap guitars are so fun to mod though, I bullet-scalloped that guitar. Feelsgoodman.

You gotta earn the new, better instrument, IMO. :2c:

danieluber1337

☻☺☻☼☺☻☺
Reaction score
Yeahh, I think I'm just going to suck it up and wait until I can get the guitar I want. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a bunch of guitars that I don't really like. I really only want to buy two more guitars: this next one and a custom, eventually.

SirMrDrNinja

Reaction score
I know you pain, i had a piece o' crap Dean ML that i let a friend convince me to buy like two years ago and i hated it with a passion. It was really heavy and the hardware was shit. The only thing i liked about it was the bridge pickup.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Have you tried getting it professionally set up?

This x1000

As far as the tone goes,playing with the pickup height can make a world of difference.

For example if your pickups are that shitty (at least worked in the shitty pickup of one of my guitars before I went for pup upgrade),try getting them so low that the oscillation that you hear when pressing the 12th fret on the low E strings isn't audible anymore.

Randomist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was kind of in the same boat, but with my second guitar. I really liked my first guitar, a mid-low end yamaha pacifica. I played it exclusively for years and eventually the cheap hardware rusted and the frets wore (didn't notice this until i could feel the strings dip into grooves, [noob] so i guessed it was a re-fret and together with new hardware, would cost more than the guitar was worth).

I got an RG350MDX as a replacement. Initally it was great, the bridge was fun, the neck didn't bother me too much. After about a month, the neck's hard D shape started to irritate me. It's a pretty slim neck, but the shape gets in the way of my hand, and it feels bigger than it is. A bit longer and the bridge started crapping out. It's had new string clamps machined for the saddles, the knife edges are so soft they aren't worth the effort of sharpening (they seem to dull with or without use), it goes out of tune if you look at it or there's a week in the month....

So recently I got a prestige RG1451. Fantastic soft D neck, more comfortable contours on the body, great hardtail bridge. I keep going to tune this thing and have to be really picky to consider touching the machine heads :).

I really wanted a 7 as well, but i shopped around and the best guitar for me, that I could afford, was a 6. I don't regret that, I can get a 7 or 8 later, and I love that RG. Don't limit yourself to 7's. You might still end up back where you started, and if you want to be sure of not doing that, play it first for a decent length of time (and don't get an edge 3 trem). I'd also advise 2nd hand, some really great guitars are within budget a lot faster that way.

Garrett

Blinded By Ibanez
Reaction score
Ive never hated a guitar honestly. If i were you id change the pickups, get it setup, possible new tuners, etc etc. This can take some possible firewood and turn it into one nice guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.