I hate guitar shop employees...(rant rant rant)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Parka Dez, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parka Dez

Parka Dez SS.org Regular

This is a complete and utter rant, so if you are going to reply with something like "why are you ranting? LULZ" go away.

So there are two things you need to be guitar shop employee:

1. Something occupying your time, constantly
    2. You need to be a massive cunt

So, first point. Easy enough, just constantly have some kind of food available at all times. Example

[​IMG]

The customer asks you a question, after you have shown no interest in asking them " Can I help you?", you are obliged to show the disgust that they have bothered you with asking such a mind numbing question, that they have ruined your perfect day, you must sigh loudly before answering the question or saying " I don't know".

None of the guitar shops on Denmark Street stock DR strings....I mean why the fuck not. It isn't like some Billy-no-name string manufacture that only produce strings made from recycled tin cans.

So after being quite disappointment by my 40 minute journey to go to Denmark Street, I thought all is not lost, I will try some gear out. There is nothing that a guitar shop employee hates more than someone trying something out.

"I was wondering if I could try out one of your 8 string guitars"
    ".....Are you planning on buying it?"
    "Well I don't know, I have never played a mass produced 8 string before"
    "...But are you planning on buying it?"
    "Possibly, if the guitar plays well"
    "....well ok. You can play this one. The relief on the neck isn't right, so from here to here, the guitar doesn't play very well"

Ok, so why don't guitar shops set up guitars, so people want to buy them. Just an idea. Setup a cheap guitar to play well and it is going to make a huge difference. But obviously that would be too easy.

So I played on this ESP FM408 through a Marshall DSL. Absolutely pointless plugging in. The amp was set so quietly all I could here was fizz and fret buzz. I did not get on with the guitar at all, it played horribly, and was not a great introduction to mass produced 8 strings. So after around 2 minutes of playing it, I took the guitar back up to the guy.

"Thanks for that, but have to say I didn't really get on with it very well. Is the scale length any different on Steph Carpenter model"
    "...emmm...emmm.. the Steph Carpenter model..emmm...no it isn't. Any 8 string guitar you play, is going to be monstrously hard to play"
    "....right....thanks."

What the fuck is wrong with Denmark Street. Shop after shop full of the same crap, Fender, Marshall, Gibson, etc etc. Nothing of interest at all. I am so glad I don't have to go to guitar shops in general to buy anything. Fuck them. What is the point in guitar shops if you can't actually try out the product you want to buy! You may as well buy it on the Internet. One last thing, when guitar shop employees try to tell you that this latest piece of crap is the best sounding amp/guitar/pedal etc etc

[​IMG]

/Rant

2. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

I've heard many a horror story about Guitar Shop employees, but I've in general been lucky enough to avoid this.

Are these local stores or parts of chains?

Most of the awful things I hear are about Guitar Center.

I live in a desolate wasteland, but we have three music-related shops in town: Haggerdy's, Trebleshooters, and another Haggerdy's on the other side of town.

I always go to Haggerdy's, since the employees are nice, well-informed, and willing to help and actually do their job, and do it well.

An old friend once had me go to Trebleshooters, because their stuff is the all of a dollar cheaper or something. They were some indifferent, non-responsive persons.

It's weird asking a question and having no response, and having to look into their glassy, empty eyes.

3. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I completely agree, the staff in Guitar Guitar in Newcastle are thick as fuck and think they are all rock gods, Sounds Live seems to breed some kind of snootyness, and this new shop called "Air guitars" seems to be run by complete crooks. I get my guitars from internet dealers, fuck the shops.

4. PeteyG

PeteyG Big Bear

The only music shop I've been in where I've been satisfied with the employees is Rikaxxe in Bristol, just owned by a retired fella who does it purely for his love of guitars, and he knows his stuff.

Mansons in Exeter was alright, the guys are friendly, but try to pass of bullshit as fact occaisionally. Like they are a Diezel dealer, and fine they may have been the first, but they seem to think that they're the only ones, and that Doug and Jamie are bullshitting about being the main UK dealers. They also claim there's no such thing as the VH4-S, and that Peter Diezel and Peter Stapfer are awful when it comes to customer service, when almost everyone I've spoken to who has dealt with them personally says strongly otherwise. Other jems of joy from them are that Blackmachine guitars have practically no sustain (jumping to conclusions by any chance?) and that seven string guitars are a pointless pursuit, and are just for nu-metal kids.

5. thedonutman

thedonutman SS.org Regular

I think the only way to get guitar shops to take musicians seriously is to wave money at them. If you dress up, act rich and arrogant, then they will probably try a whole lot harder to make a sale.

Or bring your Blackmachines and tell them to F*** off :lol:

Although I have had great experiences with a few stores, mainly smaller ones.

6. vontetzianos

vontetzianos SS.org Regular

If you think you have it bad, take a trip down to South Africa... Every guitar you pick is so shop worn, out of a setup by like 2 years, strings as old the shop itself with every sales assistant trying to screw you over after pressurising you to buy whatever it is you're trying. When you've made it politely clear that you are just there to try out the stuff, they immediately become all reluctant and pissy that you're not planning on buying. The last time I bought a guitar from a shop here in joburg, they take over 3 months to even get the damn thing, and bring me back twice to collect it without a proper setup. They even had the nerve to try and charge me extra for the setup. That's the last time I bought from them...

7. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

In general, I have been lucky, and avoided unenthusiastic or lethargic music shop employees BUT I have had a few incidents where the guy in my local shop has done nothing but bullshitted me and done nothing but demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge.

I show him my Epi Dot, which has a loose tone control (I am a guitar noob at the time, and thus don't know what the Hell has gone wrong with it). He tells me not to try anything myself, but to get someone qualified to fix it. Now, a year later, I have replaced my own pickups and done various jobs on my guitar, and this guy, claiming to have at least a decent amount of guitar knowledge, told me to leave the loose tone knob well alone?

8. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

I'm guessing you went to Rockers?

I fucking hate it when guitar shop employees do the 'you can only try it if you're planning on buying it' routine. Obviously they don't want kids coming in and playing a guitar they obviously can't afford every day, but how the fuck are you supposed to know if you want to buy something if you aren't allowed to try it first?!

As for the eight-strings, you'd think they'd at least bother to study up on the stuff their selling so they don't make braindead comments like that to customers and end up looking like asses.

9. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

My local store (Tones) is pretty good to be honest. I once had to have my old guitar that was given to me by my dad completely setup with new strings, rewiring, nut remodelling etc so I took it in. He did some work on it and charged me, but then he wasn't 100% happy with the work so he did so he did soem more (which I didn't even ask him to do), but because he'd already made the bill, he didn't charge me extra. Pretty damn nice of the guy. He's often given me free gig bags, calenders etc. Always teh guy I go to when something needs done.

10. Patriclese

Patriclese SS.org Regular

I'm a guitar shop employee, and I try to be reasonable enough. No one really comes in looking for anything too intense as it's sort of a family-based shop, but based on my years of the same frustration you're having I try to break the paradigm.

11. Joel

Joel SS.org Regular

Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester... Seriously, the dudes who work in there are awesome...
    They let you play whatever you want, through whatever you want...
    I actually go in there a lot because of it, most of the time i just go in to chill with some of the employees...
    But Dawsons in Manchester is a completely different story :wallbash::noplease:

12. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

the guys in guitar guitar in glasgow are pretty decent.

that said i have put over 5k their over the years......:ugh:

13. DslDwg

DslDwg SS.org Regular

Let me first say I don't work in a Guitar Store so I'm not trying to defend them, but I do understand them and their concerns. When I go into a store to try a guitar I treat it like my own - I make sure my hands are washed, I'm not wearing anything that would scratch the back (i.e. exposed belt buckle) and when I'm taking it down, moving around the store or setting the guitar back up I try to be as careful as possible.

It has got to be a tough industry as of course you want to make your customers happy but you also don't want some douche bag totaling a brand new $2500 guitar. Honestly the Guitar Center near my home always tells me to try anything I like and I've never spent one cent in the place. Then when I try them they feel like shit - not because Guitar Center hasn't set them up but because they do let everyone play them. If the body is a dark color it looks like someone ate some fried chicken before they picked it up. The strings feel like someone did an outdoor summertime gig and sweated all over them. Generally because they let anyone and everyone play their instruments the guitars are in shit condition. So I understand the store who is a little more careful about who it lets play their instruments.

I've seen guys are here say well "fuck em" if I crack the guitar up - that's why they have insurance. Yeah great except what happens if the shop makes a claim every other day sooner or later they would be unable to get insurance or it would become unaffordable.

I agree asking point blank "are you going to buy it" is probably not the best approach. But going in to the store and treating the new equipment with little or no care is probably not either.

14. PeteyG

PeteyG Big Bear

I think a definite solution is to have 2 guitars that people can try of each type, one that's alright to get played on all the time, and then one that's kept setup and with nice strings and things. Then basically gauge when someone asks if they can play if they're there to simply play about on a guitar to jam out their favourite songs, or if they're seriously thinking about trying it out and looking for a new guitar, then just let them know to be pretty respectful of it. Keep the good quality one in the back so that if kids come in and just grab without asking, they're not getting their dirty mitts on the nicer one. Also means that when someone asks to have a go and they're seriously looking for a new guitar, that when you say "Hang on, I'll go and get one that's setup nicely" it seems even friendlier, and that way you'll have a better reputation.

Long shot, but it's a solution.

15. liquidcow

liquidcow SS.org Regular

It's funny you said this. I have had a similar experience in Denmark Street stores when searching for an amp. An amp is an expensive thing and I might want to shop around before I decide on one straight away, so I get wound up when they immediately ask "are you going to buy it?" - how am I supposed to know if I don't try it? I think what has happened partly is that shops are worried that people will do what you've said here; that is, try it in the shop, then go home and order one off the internet. However, even if this is the case, there's not a lot they can do about it. They have two options; let people try the stuff out and face the fact that some of them will go home and order it off the internet, or not let people try anything and lose potential sales from people who may have bought it from them.

I appreciate what DslDwg says, and I've been in shops before where they guy has (politely I might add) told me that certain guitars are out-of-bounds with regards to trying them out - for example, one guy said he doesn't let anyone try the most expensive guitars on a saturday - and I've understood. But the stand-offish 'are you going to buy it' approach just makes it seem like you're being treated like a time-waster.

I suppose the best answer is to say that you definitely won't buy it if you can't try it out, or 'if it's a problem for me to try it out, I can go elsewhere'.

16. Shikaru

Shikaru Mechanical Thunder Contributor

First time I went into Guitar Guitar one of the staff was pretty rude to me and I've generally avoided it ever since. Though I occasionally pop in to look at the Ibbys and the amps downstairs.

I've always found Merchant City music to be pretty friendly though. They've got one of the Ibby 8 strings in just now, meant to try it last week when I was in but I don't like playing in music shops really :ugh:

17. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Roadhouse gets a lot of flak and rip off accussations but I agree with you plus they have some cool 2nd hand stuff that turns up in there now and again, Dawsons is horrible has a real uptight atmosphere and feels like a library but it's not just the Manchester store that's like that as all their other stores in the area I've been to are quite unwelcoming apart from the Liverpool store.

18. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Two of my local places are pretty nice. One of them is kinda iffy but the other one is super nice. Except that they have no selection. But the people there are super friendly, so i usually try to buy from them if i can because they're the kinda people that will provide you with a cheaper option that is of the same quality if at all possible.

19. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Electromusic in Doncaster near me is one of the best places on the planet, its who I judge customer service upon, they can never do enough for you. Hell, I could walk in there, they instantly know me, instantly laugh and joke with me, and tell me info about the latest gear they've got in.

Fair enough they have seen a lot of my cash, but still, AMAZING service in that place.

20. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

I feel the pain man. I remember when I was a complete n00b (like I had really just started a few months ago when this happened), I went into GC and picked up this Schecter HR with an OFR. Sat down, plugged in, played quietly and bothered no one. Then I wanted to try the FR because I'd never used one and realized I didn't have the actual arm assembly. So I go up and ask the guy at the desk, "Hey, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could get a bar to try out the Floyd on this?". Seemed like a fine question to me. He just looked at me like I'm an idiot, says: *sighs* "Fine, I'll go get one", procedes to walk away grumbling. I sit down and noodle a bit, all of the sudden I get a bar shoved in my face "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?". "Yes sir, thanks for that."

Just overall really rude. Then I went in later asking about playing an RR24 (I made it VERY clear I was NOT there to BUY, but to TRY) and was told by an employee standing in front of a wall of $3,000 gibsons that "Well, we don't really carry high-priced guitars like that, but if you put down x amount of cash I can order one for you." Me: "Uh ok, what if I don't like it?" Him: "Then you can return it for x stocking fee." Me: "You realize I didn't want to buy in the first place, right?"... "Oh, sorry" *walks away*.

I hate guitar center employees.

Then I go to Sam Ash, and they're great. The guys there actually love their jobs and even though I only get in there maybe once every few months, EVERY time I go in I get a sincere "Hello, how's your day?" or "What's up man?" from everyone, and all of them actually remember my name. Awesome, awesome shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.