I guess I suck for having an 8 string...

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ashea66, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

I get shitz everytime I show my seven to some new rock-fans.
    "You play death metal of doom?" "B equals death!"
    The shit?

I let them play off their totally memorized 5-notes-a-second scale shred and just nod while I work silently on writing riffs. :cool:

2. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

There's really no difference. Someone learning piano usually starts out on an 88 key right? Why start them out on a mini 30 key keyboard when there's that much more range that they can learn and apply themselves to.

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

I see what you're saying and I think it all comes back to how you view it. If a newb learns on a 7 or 8 string guitar then they wouldn't know any different so they don't really view it as an "extended" range.

I've never taken musical lessons in which it was explained to me why my instrument had the range it did nor have I ever been told that my instrument was limited to a particular range. The only limits we set are in our mind.

Now, coming from the mind set that guitars should have 6 strings and nothing more "Why does that guitar have so many strings?" is a valid quetion. However, if the convention was to put only 2 strings on a guitar ppl would make 6 out to be ridiculous as well. It's simply different from what the observer is used to...? :shrug:

EDIT: +1 to CooleyJr...

4. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

I get some crap for playing 7s, it was pretty much only in the beginning, now people don't really care. Sometimes they go like "hey, 7 string? What do you use the lowest string for?". I just tell them I require it for some music I play, and that I just enjoy having it for noodling around and all the extra possibilites.
    I've never gotten mad at anyone for it, at least I haven't showed it, I get a bit irritated at times though, but I keep calm because I know people would think I'm the biggest douche bag ever if I got mad :lol:

The extra attention is fun too, if it's positive that is.
    There's a guitarist in a local prog-rock band that came up to me while practicing my home work on a bench by my locker and got really stoked for seeing a 7, because pretty much no one plays them around here, neither does he :lol:
    ^ happened kind of recently too, last friday actually :)

But yeah, I can imagine people "hating" even more on 8 strings, I personally would never use the 8th string, but I can see how some people do, and it's really cool when you use it for other stuff than just chugging.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  5. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Yeah my friend started bass a few months back and I got him to start out on a 5 string instead of a 4 string because personally a 4 string feels extremely limited to me.

The one and ONLY complaint hes had about it so far is that he has to pay for a 5th string when he buys packs so its more expensive to restring. Beyond that he liked the fact that when I was teaching him things I would go:

"hey instead of going all the way down there you can just grab the note up here on the lower string, which you wouldn't have been able to do on a 4 string"

etc, etc

6. Konfyouzd

Don't let Wooten, Stu Hamm or Flea hear you talking like that... :lol:

Yea I know Wooten owns a 5 but I very rarely see him on that thing.

But the stuff you're saying about grabbing the same notes elsewhere... DEFINITELY helpful (for me) on bass. I think I find it more useful on bass than guitar a lot of the time.

7. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

The thing I like about 8s are the fact that you can play a 4 octave run in 1 position instead of having to go all over the place to achieve the same thing.

8. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has 5 octaves...

My range is bigger than yours!!!! :fawk:

... By like 2 notes...

9. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

I have 5 octaves but if I feel like bending my high Ab up a whole step, then I have like.. more! :lol:

10. LamaSabachthani

LamaSabachthani SS.org Regular

I find that 7s rock because some of the stuff (particular intervals played harmonically) just aren't possible or don't sound as good when played on a six string

11. arsonist

arsonist SS.org Regular

My point was that you and everyone else is repeating the same bullshit over and over again on a bi-weekly basis :yesway:

12. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Such is life.

EDIT: Oh yeah.. Calm down. :)

13. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

How about stop trolling? If you don't like this thread or this forum move on. :wavey:

Rev.

14. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

The only reason I would bash you is if you bought it as a peice of furniture and never used it.

15. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Lol I didn't even read that arsonists guys original post in here that people are talking about. I saw it and eyeballed several words and was like "oh hes just bitching not worth reading" but had no idea he was bitching about the thread xD

Wow thats cute.

16. EvisceralVision

EvisceralVision New Member

seriously?dude there's lots of people that use 8's.....not just Djent musicians....Charlie Hunter being one of them.....i agree with alot of people and say if you want an 8....use an 8....i think all musicians should be fluent in all aspects of their chosen axe......rock on and post pics man

17. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

The thing is most people just look at the extra string as an extra string being lower. They do not realize you really are only gaining an extra 5 lower notes, if you use a traditional tuning method that is.

Most people are just so molded into following what is popular and is done by the masses that when something new and less common comes around they freak out and just write it off as unnecessary or weird. Just know that by expanding your range and opening your choices means are thinking outside the box more than their close-minded asses. Like someone else said, fuck em'.

18. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I want to address a mistaken point which was raised earlier in this thread.

The idea was brought up that piano only has 12 patterns to worry about, and that guitar has many more.

I remember learning guitar, and there were two areas I learned: things which took advantage of open strings, and things which were free of those open strings.

If I learned a scale starting at the fifth fret, I could instantly slide it down a fret, and know that pattern for the scale a half step flat. I could slide it up and down the fretboard, and apply it to all the keys.

If one is arguing that the modes are all different... then on keyboard, the same thing happens.

On keyboard, you have to learn the scale patterns for all the keys, even though the octaves of those scales are identical.

On guitar, you have to learn the scale patterns for one key, even though the patterns of all the keys are identical.

Similarly, once one learns barre chords, one can move them up and down the fretboard.

(Even if one talks about more than simple chords, Most guitarists may know the barre chords for common extensions using only the E and A forms, which then give the full 12 keys very easily.)

Whoever is suggesting that it's harder to learn one over the other isn't familiar with piano and guitar pedagogy, or with both instruments, in more than an superficial way. That's revealed by the lack of understanding regarding chords and scales on both instruments, and the parallels of such.

19. Aurochs34

Aurochs34 SDMF, mofos

:lol::lol::lol:

maybe he's right!!! ;)

20. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

It's harder to play piano because you need to play 2 parts simultaneously, plus working the pedals. Classical guitar does some similar things (as do various other guitarists outside of classical), but it's just not physically possible to play things that are as complicated on a guitar as what can be done on piano. It's for that reason that I wish I'd started playing piano as a kid :lol: