I got sick of playing (electric) guitar so I bought an ukulele (whining content)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zhysick, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I've been playing guitar for about 20 years. I started playing classical guitar, but always felt the instrument uncomfortable (it just clamps my left hand A LOT with the high amount of static positions and all that) but I just love the sound. But I am what can be described as a "metalhead" so soon I started playing electric guitar, so mainly metal and rock music: a bit of blues and jazz, sure, some funky rhythms and all that, but mainly metal.

It's been two decades and I have done NOTHING. Have been in a few bands just for a few days (work, studies, distance...) and now the "adult life" (work, debts, you all know) don't allow me to go to lessons or to be in a band (I have to travel a lot with the work and each time is, at least, for four weeks so thats a very severe NO when looking for bands).

Last year, after lefting a band after about three months practicing and composing, a friend and I started a project: writing and recording in his home studio to at least do 5 or 6 tracks, something that could be called an album hopefully but working I got a finger of my left hand broken so I had to stop playing for a few months, the project went from cold to frozen and I slowly stopped playing the guitar. From time to time I picked up the guitar and played for a few hours but everytime it was just uninspiring, boring and at the end tiring.

Three days ago I picked up the guitar as usual "at least to keep the fingers moving to be ready for the day the inspiration makes its comeback" and opposed to that I just had a very bad rupture with the guitar: I really got sick of playing.

What usually was boring sounded insulting and the despair became pure anger.

As I always loved the sound of the classical guitar but couldn't play it for longer periods of time because of how it hurts my hand I thoght "a smaller guitar might be good" so started looking at "child sized" classical guitars but the nut width is the same, then I found a guitalele and ended up checking the catalogue of ukuleles: I thought a tenor uke should be a nice option with four strings, a narrow nut but "the sound" of a classical guitar (nylon strings, you know).

So I started playing the uke yesterday... and it is fucking comfortable, light and fun to play. I'm not looking to play "uke songs", more to look at it like a "small guitar" (I even changed the tuning for the Low G variant for more tonal range) but the thing is that it is actually fun to play silly songs...

I am happy.

Thanks for reading this story, hope someone that might be in a similar situation can find it relieving and, if not, at least fun.

Cheers!!

PS: I'm thinking in buying a baritone uke now...

2. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Makes no sense to get a Ukele if you got bored of guitar, learn an instrument thats totally different and then come back to guitar with a fresh perspective.

3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

That's awesome you finding a different instrument you like. I never really had a chance to play a ukulele but I wouldn't mind trying one. Now you can get into playing some Sabbath Uke-style.:dio:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

;>)/

IbanezDaemon, Adieu and Zhysick like this.
  4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Man, wtf, you lost your fricking marbles!? come back to eight string sweetness! nah, don't take it seriously. I'm sorry, you have real talent playing, don't give up. Take your time. U don't need advice, you'll come up eventually. Anyway, enjoy your new "instrument"

on a side note, funny enough, my girl is asking me to buy a ukelele for herself, hahaha, which one did you get and think about getting (baritone one)?

Big hug

Zhysick likes this.
  5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

What about a jr size electric as well?

Zhysick likes this.
  6. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

It's a different instrument and a different approach to music but keeping it simple as the "technique" is the same. One of the reasons to choose the ukulele is because I like the sound of nylon strings and it is very small and light so it is comfortable. I have to learn "new chords" but the scales and shapes are almost the same so... Let's say it is an easy learning curve. Also, if I don't play an 8 string guitar the same way as a 6 string, why would I consider a ukulele the same as a guitar? Is a different animal.

I went the easy route, yes... First thing I played was nothing else matters by Metallica, same as I did back in the day with my first guitar. It is a fun little instrument and playing metal songs with it is quite challenging because you "can't" make gallops so you have to find different ways to make it sound cool... But the best is to play extended chords and melodies as the neck is so narrow and short it is easy to do a 5 frets stretch...

Hahahaha hahahaha. Yes, I guess I run out of inspiration or something like that... Actually I remember your girl being quite tall and with large hands so I would say minimum the Tenor or Baritone as the concert or soprano models must be too small... I find the Tenor actually too small for my hands (some chords are fucking difficult because the narrow frets). I will compose a few pieces with the uke, you will see, and plugging it to the amp and playing with FXs and distortion it's... interesting. It actually sounds cool with distortion.

I really thought about it but I'm not gonna get a bad quality electric guitar because of I have a quality full size one and a rubbish small one with uneven frets, bad sound and all that... I know I want play the small guitar and that's exactly what I don't want to happen. If I could get a 22" 5 string electric guitar with a minimum quality I wouldn't hesitate but considering I would play with distortion anyway probably I would be in the same depressing hole so switching to a completely different instrument seems like the better option... For now.

Thanks for your comments buddies!!! I will upload something as soon as my nails are long enough to play comfortably again and get to write something cool.

Cheers!!

BlackSG91 and chopeth like this.
  7. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

I can empathize with that.
    I changed to fretless guitars and flatwounds for a similar reason.
    Stuck to guitar, changed tuning to all 4ths.

This is a part of finding your own voice on any instrument.
    More power to you man, keep sharing your journey here.

Zhysick likes this.
  8. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Thanks buddy, this afternoon I will probably try some different tunings with the uke. I tried before (a few years back) the all fifths tuning in the guitar and I found it very interesting but the fingering a bit difficult for "normal" music and chords but it might work with the smaller neck...

Cheers!!

9. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

I got a free ukelele recently and it’s a lot of fun. I just chill on the couch and play Irish jigs, but I’m worried to play for anyone cause they’re gonna ask me to sing the fat Hawaiian version of over the rainbow.

Bearitone and Zhysick like this.
  10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Uke’s are a blast. I got my first ukulele maybe 12 years ago. I love them. My daughter plays one now as well. Have you listened to any Jake Shimabukuro? I’ve seen him in concert a few times and he’s an outstanding ukulele player.

Zhysick likes this.
  11. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Jajajajajaa I laughed out loud!! Really loud!!! My wife is whistling that song all the time trying to subtly incite me to lear that song ...hahahaha no, it's not gonna happen!! Be strong buddy, we can resist!! Hahaha.

Yes! That man probably is the reason why I bought the uke at last. His version of queen's Bohemian rhapsody and his original (I think) "Dragon" are just amazing.

He is really great! I hope I can play like that in the future... Great playing!

Cheers!!

NotDonVito and DudeManBrother like this.
  12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

when for some reason you can only play one thing and that thing has to define you.

Zhysick likes this.
  13. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

What about a classical hurts your hand? The width of the fretboard, the size of the body, or the scale? There are remedies in the classical world for all of those and you can still play an actual classical guitar.

Zhysick likes this.
  14. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

The thickness of the body, the width of the freatboard, the thickness of the neck and my thumb being so clumsy that it "clamps" so easily that it even happens with my electric guitars... if I play too many barre chords.

It started happening since the very beggining of playing guitar when I was about 10 years old and my teacher said something like "your hand will be getting stronger and one thay it will stop happening" (my technique and posture were all correct so it was a physical problem not because of a bad habit or the likes) but it still happens, quite a lot with the classical guitar.

I have tried several classical guitars, with different neck profiles, and it still happens, specially with wide stretchs like barre on fret 1 and the pinky on fret 5, positions that are very common in classical music (I remember this position from one of Bach's preludes for example) and when I was practicing that partiture for my exams it was very very difficult to practice more than one hour a day because it started hurting, a lot actually.

The narrower (and shorter) neck of the ukulele solves this (drastically, I know) and still I have that nice nylon strings sound so it is a nice compromise for me, plus it is so small and light that I can play in any position (even lying in the bed!!)

Maybe this will bring back my passion for the classical guitar (that was dead for the last... 10 years or so? I relied on the electric because of the comfort of the neck mainly but I actually like the sound of the classical guitar a lot more even if I cannot play metal with distortion but I can play Bach and Wagner which is almost as heavy and even better).

15. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Now all it needs are steel strings and an EMG...

Zhysick likes this.
  16. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Look for a smaller Torres style body and a more hybrid style neck i.e. 1 11/16 and 1 3/4" nut. It won't be a true classical in the traditional sense but they make "hybrds" and "crossovers" for steel string players and comfort. If scale length is also a concern look into Alto style classicals.

Zhysick likes this.
  17. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I will try one of I find one in a shop any of these days, I don't know if the radiuses fretboard will make it easier and prone to less fatigue or just que opposite but I have always wanted the Gordon thinbody one... Who knows!!

Thanks!!

18. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've always imagined that if I permanently injured my hands I would try to get into wind instruments. I really like flutes, and I have a didgeridoo that I can play pretty okay for not being able to get circular breathing to work with it... (I believe that even someone good at the didge would be unable to on this cheapo one made of straight bamboo with no flair to the end). It forces you to breathe slowly and in a controlled way, which sorta physically forces you to relax. On the other hand, it's really difficult to play if you're worked up and excited.

Since I enjoy breath aspect of the didgeridoo, but since I like the melody and technical aspect of guitar, I've always imagined that a flute might sorta bridge that gap.

Maybe I should just get a flute anyway lol

Zhysick likes this.
  19. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Zhysick likes this.
  20. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I love the sound of the flute and other wind instruments but I am not in the mood to learn something from scratch. In that case I would go for piano (because I already have one and can play at least single notes and chords with the right hand) but also wind instruments are expensive normally... But the sound is really sweet and lovely for sure!!

That's amazing!! Except for the part that I thought I was going to invent something new when I started thinking in doing this. Actually I was going to check if a metal saddles bridge will work ok for nylon strings... Well, I'm not gonna be rich with this idea but a short scale guitar with this system might be perfect for me...

Thanks buddies!!