I get my Stef B7 tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Hellbound, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Mr. S

Mr. S tacos?

god-damn man, thats some sick shit!!! thats one of the most intresting looking black guitars ever, such a dull colour normally (says the dude with 3 black guitars), but my god... ill have to do the lottery this week, thats the only conceivable way id be able to get one, congrats man enjoy the guitar :metal:

2. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

It's going on 3am here in the south and I'm still jamming on it. The blisters on my fingers are about to pop I think it's time for a break.lol I don't even have a decent set up yet that's only going ot make it so much better. As far as using 12's I'm rethingking that idea, I've got some D'Addario .10-.056 I may throw on there unless someone can suggest something better gauge wise I'm looking to tune it to B flat or maybe even A....the thing is I'm working with a vintage mesa(can't remember the name of it one of the first one's to come out in the 70's) with a crappy bose speaker setup that's barely handling the power this things putting out...however it still sounds pretty damn good. I'll have me a nice amp and cabinet setup in a couple of weeks like I said I'm loving the peavey's they sound large.
    I love the black finish on the stef only thing is every single fingerprint really stands out I'll have to clean it often.:lol: Speaking of dirty you can tell I haven't cleaned my Les Paul in ages in that pic man that would be a good project for tomorrow jesus that looks bad.

3. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Dude, excuse my French, but that is fucking sexy. No other way to put it. I wish some store close to me would stock the damn thing (or it's LTD brothers) so I could see if the pickup config would be awkward for me or not.

4. jtm45

jtm45 Well-Known Member

Absolutely fucking stunning mate!!!!!!!!!!

I love it and i want one!.:metal:

I've been using D'addario 10-56's on my RG7's lately (mainly due to the lack of choice around here)and i find them pretty good.
    I would think that with the longer scale-length they would handle being tuned down to an A but on my 25.5" scale guitars i find them too floppy tuned to A.
    Perfect for standard B tuning though:yesway:

I've been meaning to try some of those Elixir strings but i haven't gotten around to ordering any yet.They're supposed to be the business.

How do you find the longer scale-length?
    I would imagine after being used to your Les Paul (24.75" scale)it's gonna' feel a bit different.Those Stef B7's are 27",right?

5. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

Yeah it's 27". Actually it feels quite normal. Now if I pick up my Les Paul after I've been playing the stef for a while then I can actually notice the difference in length. I can definately notice the longer neck when I pick it up and almost poke holes in the walls with it carrying it around.lol Overall everything sounds nice and tight on it much better than my Les Paul.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, Les Pauls have tiny scale lengths. Try some thick-n-thins or slinky top heavy bottoms, then use a .060" or slightly heavier for the low b. If that's not enough for you, you can step up to .012"s just to see. If that's still not enough, then you are a monster, and need some steel ingots to beat on with your bare fists. :lol:

7. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Congrats on a beautiful guitar!!!

How would you characterize the overall sound?

8. Mark. A

Mark. A gang* 4 lyfe Contributor

dude, that is brilliant!!

Have fun

9. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

I'd say overall it sounds very full, powerful, and clean, Doesn't get much better than that. Every little note really stands out pinch harmonics take some serious practice to get them on this guitar after about 5 hours I finally found the sweet spot which is right in the middle of the front pickup, but you have to hit it perfectly I'm getting to where it's second nature now. Once you get 'em they sing out nicely.

10. LEWY7777777

LEWY7777777 SS.org Regular

man originaly early in this thread I thought were talking a ltdsc607b with 27"scale but to my splendid suprise...
    Holy shit! Thats the ESP model! note no sc logo at 12th fret. And ESP on the Reverse inline headstock! Neck through. Wow. I think they specify a certain string gauge combo on esp website to compliment the 27 scale for b tuning maybe its just a stock spec to standardize the product until you get it home. I have always used big and littles myself.
    27 incher sweet :hbang:

11. bostjan

Umm, I was told that the Stef B7 is MIJ.

12. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

Dammit I can't play anymore all day yesterday, last night, and today my fingertips have ballooned into some big blisters. I even have a nice blister on my thumb from doing pinch harmonics.lol Guess I'll change the strings and clean it up now.

Yes it's made in Japan that's what it says on the reverse head stock, anyone think Americans could make something that nice?lol

13. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

I think he meant US domestic model, as compared to the Japanese Natural one.

The 10-56s are okay, I think 10.5-57 would be great (lol) but I'd get some 11-58 Ernie Ball Slinkies and they'd do great \m/

14. bostjan

hmm an .058" with .011"s?! Man, that's a wimpy low B even for me, and I use .009"s.

I'm surprised at how many people I know personally, who will argue until they are blue in the mouth, that ESP's are made in the US. I really like all of my MIJ guitars, even though nothing compares to a nice handbuilt custom shop instrument. :yesway:

15. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

ESP had a shop in the US several years ago, but that was only for a short time.

16. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

You got a B7 as your first 7 string? Holy shit!

That's a very, very nice guitar. I think ESP's website says they're strung with 10-56's from the factory.

17. that guy

that guy SS.org Regular

11 to 70 mang only way to go

18. bostjan

Might work well for him. Remember, though, that this is a 27"er not 25.5", so there is slightly more tension. But along with extra length comes extra clarity for those huge wires. A .070" sounds about ten times clearer at 30" than it does at 25.5", IMO, so it ought to sound pretty sweet at 27" tuned to low B. I know, after trying it, that a .080" at 25.5" sounds pretty clangy unless it's tuned to A. Any lower and it's too floppy, and any higher and it sounds too percussive. I'll stick with .060", unless I go long scale. :) It seems to be pretty well balanced between tension and overthickness issues. I'd love for all of my sevens to be 27", though, so I could use .070"s to get the extra tension without the clangy cylinder-tones assosiated with them at shorter scale lengths.

19. skattabrain

skattabrain slow and low

hellbound ... i'd check out the OST threads ... i think with the longer 27" scale, you don't need to go so heavy as you would on a 25.5 ... the extra length should pick up the slack.

i have an rg1077xl ... i'm trying this set up tonight for my drop G tuning (almsot what steph does ... i think he tunes drop G#).

D'Addario ...

10 - 13.5 - 19 - 26 - 36 - 50 - 68

tuned - DAFCGDG

currently i use this set - http://daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=618&ID=1&Class=AABA

and i can get away with it but it needs to be tighter, hence the need for tonights restring ... but that'll give you an idea how far the 27" takes you

20. LEWY7777777

LEWY7777777 SS.org Regular

Yeah Hellbound just said 6505 at the store was a match made in heaven with his new B7 and when I saw that he had liked the 6505 I suggested trying a voodoo modded 6505 plus. Some cheese's response was thats the worse one, it doesn't mean better tone and he put a red square on my reputation. Now this doesn't make sense to me! That is totally opinionated :noway: Some guy is out there putting red squares on peoples rep over liking the 5150 series! 5150 is exactly the same amp as the 6505 people its before and after eddie is why the name changed! The 5150 II is the 6505 plus! I want to know who it was burning my rep over it! NOW. Same reason why some other choked up person shot Dimebag. Some misplaced anger goes to me UNWARRANTED now hurtin' my rep. This is obsurd. Over what amp we liked ! come on you sneaky mischievious person show yourself so everyone can see you! Say it in front of everybody! I say whatever I say in front of anyone. Not hiding crossing little red marks. Those are for mis info or innacurate or mischievious behavior that you so exhibit I can't wait to put your deserved red mark on yours for ignorant crap like this!

metalfiend666 likes this.