I find music youtubers really annoying...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Franko, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Repo251

Repo251 SS.org Regular

I agree. Load of wank!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

EDIT: I meant jeremy varao, not vallao.
    submancometh has some cool demos. Dude has an insane collection and he's a good player.

3. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

But how exactly are musicians supposed to make money now that the record industry has been murdered by millenials stealing music online instead of buying it and nobody going to concerts anymore because of corvid 19? The only other option is to just go on youtube and get famous selling stuff like misha mansour and keith marrow.

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

You: I hate music YouTubers it's all a waste of time.

Also You: Gotta spend an hour arguing about it on SSO.

ExpatZ, couverdure, mmr007 and 8 others like this.
  5. DjentyBoi7

DjentyBoi7 SS.org Regular

Agreed, I feel like a lot of music YouTubers in the modern day are getting less creative. Although I do aim to be a popular music YouTuber, I really had to tell myself to shut up and play the guitar, because I don't want to completely sell out to the mUsIc MeMe ViDeOs like Davie504 (even though unfortunately that is what gets views instead of original music content).

6. hazimwood

hazimwood Old Яomans

It's a good thing that there is such a variety. That's why cable channels sell packages and not individual channels....because only you know what you like. Pick some channels; YouTube is full of good information but you have to also be willing to listen. There doesn't NEED to be loyalty to YouTube channels, you don't HAVE TO subscribe, just explore. but if you are looking for a serious, comprehensive guitar lesson, maybe you should pay for one; there are lots of threads about which course is best, or hire a local teacher.

ExpatZ, USMarine75 and chipchappy like this.
  7. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I’m down to a few. Ola, Fluff, Leon Todd and Arnold. I don’t watch every video and if I can’t skip the ad in 6 seconds, I don’t watch it at all.

8. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Maybe I'm biased, but I love having tons of guitar related content on Youtube to keep me busy, because I love playing guitar, writing music, collecting and exploring gear. People complain about Youtube like they have to watch it. I think we're all extremely fortunate to have it as a source of entertainment, education, or infotainment, where we get to hand pick what we want to watch, when we want to watch it, for free.

I will continue to watch great channels and get inspired by them, rather than mindlessly surf Netflix for background noise when I'm working on guitars or amps

9. JimboLodisC

JimboLodisC black Ibanez plz

I kinda feel like that's just how YouTube works, you make silly thumbnails and too much content. Gotta wade through the endless content to find gems of info, share 'em if you find 'em

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

uBlock Origin works very well on Youtube.

11. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

You have to be in the right mood. Stevie T is like Jim Carrey- amazing, broken, and & loathed by some.
    Fluff gave up everything and went all in so mad respect there, plus I like his vids.
    Fricker reminds me of that guy Black who is on Comedy Central, interesting but hard to take for too long.

All in all, I'm happy to have guitar-oriented shows available

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  12. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Comparing Fricker to Louis Black is a huge disservice to Louis Black. Not all angry ranters are on the same level.

13. Scooter1969

Scooter1969 not a shredder

I'm usually on it for "how to" videos and the like. Ola's cool though, like "WILL IT CHUG?!"

gabito and CovertSovietBear like this.
  14. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Regular

EytschPi42 is pretty decent.

His recent review on the Ibanez azns is quiet informative and unbiased i found.

15. admgloval

admgloval SS.org Regular

Brett Kingman and Leon Todd are both great sites, been following them for years. I also like to watch the videos that StewMac puts out with Dan Erlewine. Most of the guitar review youtubers annoy me. I used to watch Ola and still do from time to time but mostly just to look at specific gear reviews. Also Sweetwater's videos can be good and informative at times.

Kyle Jordan and USMarine75 like this.
  16. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I'm very much here for people having their own opinions and voicing valid criticism but some of the comments in this thread are just straight anger. Over people who make youtube video. Like, relax it aint that serious

17. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Is there something for blocking ads in the android youtube app?

I hate using streaming video through websites in browsers

Wc707 likes this.
  18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Bergs is the best. He's very responsive on social media too. He helped me track down some pedals and with the purchase of an Eastman guitar.

19. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

wait wait wait millenials don't steal music, they stream it on spotify .. and spotify gives all the money to the big artists

20. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

Beatooffers tremendous insights and professional ettiquete lessons worth even more. I like Ola because he gives me insight into a metal world Im not otherwise gonna take time to care about but other than that its just gear gear gear and Im a player. Sometimes I like a gear distraction but generally I simply care about music... I love that I can google up Steve Howe or Robert Quine any time I want and the acess to information is astounding. Growing up in the 80's I was just stuck with some dude who looked like a bloom county character who played a charvel single pickup who worked at a music store and a few magazines and took me months to find Steve Vai's Flexable (this was long before DLR). Now stuff is vast and even if they annoy you that is valuable info. Figure out what annoys you and why. Better musicians tend to be curious and use what annoys them to focus their style and abilities. Also, you should know some are definitely trying to annoy you, dont give them that power.