I don't get Devin Townsend

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The whole reason for his approachable arena rock release was something to do with a deal he made with his label if I am recalling correctly.

Absolutely not. Devin hasn't been with a label since he made the first deal for SYL. At the same time he founded HevyDevy Records and everything since his first solo-record (Ocean Machine) has been made all by himself without intervention of a bigger label.

The physical copies are made by inside-out but that's about it.

I wanna see the guy that tries to convince Devin to write something he doesn't want to. He'll suffer damn hard.

I mean, it took his whole band + Nolly and quite some time to convince him to make his effin sound drier. I don't even want to know what it needs for him to change his music.

Even when he wants to do something totally out of the norm, he'd rather ask his fans and stay independent than get under the thumb of someone else, see Casualties.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
as when I've brought up before that I don't like Ki at all three or four other people chimed in right after that Ki is their favorite album of his, and that's fine

My least favorite is Epicloud, and while I know a lot of people share that opinion, a LOT of people absolutely love that bombastic, poppy kind of music. I think part of the cool thing about Devin fans (well MOST, anyways :lol: ) is that like you said, everybody has things that Devin has done that speaks to their souls in ways no other artist has, but there's a lot of fluff otherwise and just plain weird / not-good stuff in between, too. But, and that's what makes Devin special, he knows he can't please everybody and does whatever he wants anyways. Even when Dev's average or even subpar, he's still Dev and a wicked entertainer no matter what he does.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, it took his whole band + Nolly and quite some time to convince him to make his effin sound drier. I don't even want to know what it needs for him to change his music.

Given his ridiculously eclectic catalogue, i'm not sure what you mean by "change his music". Sure he has a style, but without that he wouldn't be Devin and for that reason his music won't change.

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Given his ridiculously eclectic catalogue, i'm not sure what you mean by "change his music". Sure he has a style, but without that he wouldn't be Devin and for that reason his music won't change.

In the context of the original statement I answered to ("The whole reason for his approachable arena rock release was something to do with a deal he made with his label if I am recalling correctly."), with "change his music" I mean a producer from a big label coming over, saying stuff like:

"That song can be 3 minutes shorter, add more major chords, less technical, why not feature (random famous metal musican) and get a great music video".

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily a fan, but what I "get" is that he's blending the technical precision of his metal contemporaries with the compositional whimsy of somebody like Frank Zappa. A true artist among a sea of mostly copycats. (IMO, acknowledging that these things are entirely subjective.)

dan0151

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I have revisited my Devin collection and have a greater appreciation for his work, I used to get a little confused by his music but now I seem to get it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He actually did do a song with some help from an outside producer (big name, as well.) He said he'll never release it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
(almost) Everything released after 2009 is DTP. Everything before is either under his name or devin Townsend Band.

electriceye

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All over the internet I see huge Devin Townsend fans, so I've checked out his music and I've even seen him live with Fallujah and Btbam, but I still don't get it. I don't hate his music nor him, but I just really don't understand.

I'm with you. I checked out some of his live shows and I just kept saying "W...T....F." It's almost like a Yo Gabba Gabba for adults (those of you w/ young kids know what I mean).

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
"WWWWHHHHHHAAAAOOOOOOOO.... I had cheerios for breakfast this morning, you know what I mean? ...... WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA"

Also can't stand him. It's like watching a movie where the actors keep breaking the fourth wall, but they aren't supposed to.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
For you people who don't get his stuff, check out Casualties of Cool. It's unlike anything I've heard before and really showcases the width of material he can write.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
For you people who don't get his stuff, check out Casualties of Cool. It's unlike anything I've heard before and really showcases the width of material he can write.
I would suggest the last two people probably will never "get" it.

I can see how some people wouldn't get his attitude. But calling it yo gabba gabba for adults... That shows a rather large lack of understanding of the man's work and where he is coming from.

I think the best thing about DT's music is that he has literally covered it all and has done so in such a genuine manner that it is hard to question his work even if you don't like certain records. Me? I don't really like the Ziltoid albums. But I love everything else the man has done which is like 50 other albums.

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the best thing about DT's music is that he has literally covered it all and has done so in such a genuine manner that it is hard to question his work even if you don't like certain records.

That's another definition I often give for those who don't know Devin.

I can show everyone a song from Devin he will like, but noone will ever love all his records equally.

He is the most diverse single musician in the metal scene we have this time.

My mom does only listen to radio music and mostly german folk music. She loves CoC. A buddy of mine is very much into Metalcore / MeloDeath, he loves Detox. My dad listens to classic rock and melodic stuff, I showed him the Iceland EP and he instantly copied it on his laptop.

Devin is more than just puppets and wanky humor, though since that is a side that isn't great for marketing and promo it is often overlooked by those unfamiliar with him.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Interesting recommendation. Casualties would have to be my least favourite of his albums.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
See. That's the thing with Devin. For me CoC is the best thing he did since Ocean Machine / City
Same for me, I know that it's not the most conventional album to recommend if you're a metalhead but it showcases the width of his musical abilities and at least gives some context to him as an artist.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I feel like Casualties is a really good album from a technical point of view, but I can't stand the country vibe on most of the songs. The Dunlop video they did of a few tracks was great- I think those songs work well in a sort of live-in-an-intimate-way, but I don't really like the album versions of the songs as much. But that's cause I particularly don't like country and the sounds associated with that. If they had created something that was more like the writing of Ki but with the Casualties production style, I'd have been all over that. Too much bouncy/twangy/country stuff for me to listen to it regularly, but I can appreciate it as another part of the whole library, just as much as SYL and those noise albums that people don't talk much about, etc.

Just more reinforcement to the idea that the wide range of stuff he does is a big part of why he's so popular. Most people can find at least a few things to like.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I feel like Casualties is a really good album from a technical point of view, but I can't stand the country vibe on most of the songs. The Dunlop video they did of a few tracks was great- I think those songs work well in a sort of live-in-an-intimate-way, but I don't really like the album versions of the songs as much. But that's cause I particularly don't like country and the sounds associated with that. If they had created something that was more like the writing of Ki but with the Casualties production style, I'd have been all over that. Too much bouncy/twangy/country stuff for me to listen to it regularly, but I can appreciate it as another part of the whole library, just as much as SYL and those noise albums that people don't talk much about, etc.

Just more reinforcement to the idea that the wide range of stuff he does is a big part of why he's so popular. Most people can find at least a few things to like.
I honestly do not think Casualties is very country at all. It has some elements but the only thing that sounds remotely "country" is the guitar tone in some songs but I don't find many of the parts sound like country music to me.

I would also say CoC is probably my favorite thing he has done is quite a long while.