i bought the precision drive for my pedalboard..... i regret it!

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I’ve had the PD for a few years and it’s a lot like a modded TS circuit with more gain, more volume, and much brighter. As someone else called out, the gate is not very strong and when you run the pedal as the only OD into a mid gain amp it doesn’t have to be any stronger. The pedal set at noon is way more that what a normal TS circuit would be so I always start at the lowest position the work up on each knob. The bright really doesn’t need to be up much at all. Also the notched switch rotating left to right for me is like more classic to more djent eq. I use is at 11 for trad TS and click over to 1 if I am using a extended range guitar.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anybody have an idea which exact TS circuit the PD is based on?
The core structure is pretty close to a TS-9.

The second opamp has more gain, thus it has more volume, and then the bass cut circuit in the clipping section has been replaced by the clicky switch for the attack.

EDIT: It is pretty close to a TS-808 also, since the TS-9 and 808 are almost identical except for like 2 resistors.

Genome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you made sure your gain is maxed out and your mid knob is on zero? That will increase the brightness

Goniochromism

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Your amp is not that bad, that's not the problem. Nor is it singularly one of those pedals. It's that you are way over complicating the signal chain. See here:

I also have a Nu-X Solid Studio IR pedal. It's great! But it's designed to take a preamp signal and add a cab sim for going direct into a PA, studio monitors, or a DAW for recording. Running it into your amp is certainly going to add something; and destroy your tone in the process.

If you can't get a decent tone going guitar > PD > into the amp, something is wrong. What cab are you using?

Did you plug the nux into your pc and edit it and such to get it to sound good? The defaults seem to me to be not great when i use it as intended; between my amp and my DI box. The cab i'm using is the blackstar one that goes with the head.

I sold it in the end, but i'm very tempted to just sell aload of these pedals and buy the preamp version and just run that into my amp, like you guys are saying, it be over complicated AF.

Is what is sounds like without the PD, you'll have to excuse the bad production.

Goniochromism

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The fm3 is a really good idea too though! But i am trying to come up with something kinda unique sounding tone wise, idk what that is though!

sonoftheoldnorth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It
Did you plug the nux into your pc and edit it and such to get it to sound good? The defaults seem to me to be not great when i use it as intended; between my amp and my DI box. The cab i'm using is the blackstar one that goes with the head.

I sold it in the end, but i'm very tempted to just sell aload of these pedals and buy the preamp version and just run that into my amp, like you guys are saying, it be over complicated AF.

Is what is sounds like without the PD, you'll have to excuse the bad production.

I'd try a different approach. It is definitely this IR thing that's the major problem, not the PD. When I was a kid and had a POD 2.0 into an amp return, if you then tried to use the crappy cabinet sims (even though signal was going to an actual cab), it would sound like this, adding weird frequencies and mud.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can put two irs in a cab block. But hypothetically you could read a bunch wav files take a linear combination of them and create a totally new ir.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You can put two irs in a cab block. But hypothetically you could read a bunch wav files take a linear combination of them and create a totally new ir.
Cablab.

Also when it comes to IRs more isnt always better in my experience.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
If you want to eliminate noise put an hm2 up front dimed. Literally everyone knows this. But what people don't know is you'll want an IR loader before it to de-chainsaw it

EdgeCrusher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yeah, the stock IR's in the pedal are not great. I loaded in a bunch of free ones I found areound the web; I mostly use an Ownhammer Mesa V60 IR. I use it for direct recording my EVH 5150 III 50 watt head as well as my Line6 Pod HD500. I get pretty good results with both.

Try going guitar > PD > amp, then line out of your amp > IR loader or direct into your interface and load an IR in your DAW.