I am too lazy to learn others' songs...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Mar 27, 2016.

1. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

... and that makes it difficult to find people to play with.

After playing for more than 10 years now, I am a room-guitar-player but I have been trying to find people so I can start something.

It is said that playing with people makes you better and I feel confident about my skill.

But all the musicians I meet want to do covers bands, they even don't have the minimun interest in composition.

Reasons:
    -"I am too old to waste time on it" (I am 30yo and people who say that are between 25-40)
    -"I do music as hobby, to have fun"
    -"We are not gonna create a new style"
    -"I don't want to play gigs".

I said I feel confident about my skill... but when I find "skilled" people with own songs, they ask for toooooo much at guitar, live experience ...

Maybe my future is continue playing at home :wallbash:

2. LX_T

LX_T SS.org Regular

Honestly I don't think so. Skilled players with own songs aren't asking for too much - they ask for something / the ones that make them better imo. Nobody wants to do a step backwards...

3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

too much for my current level :)
    I understand they want people to improve, not to going back.

4. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

when I played with some friends, I couldn't play ANY cover. But we made a gmail account, discussed and uploaded 10 songs to start. All old rock and roll (beatles, hendrix, stuff like that). I just got the chords and lyrics from the internet, and off we go. In the beginning my guitar playing just sucked, but every week I would transcribe the riffs/solos and get better. In a few time we are nailing those songs and starting others.

playing with a band is just plain fun. So today if someone ask me to join a band, regardless of style i will say yes. Learn half assed versions to start and go fixing later :shred:

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

In that case you have a few options:

1) Lie. Just say you've done it, and go with it. Not what I would recommend, but hey, whatever.

2) re-jigger some of your songs and play a 15-30 minute set at a coffee shop. This will get you performing in front of people with an actual story to tell. If you can't grab a band this is real experience you can talk about. I'd go this route myself.

6. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

My opinion on this:

Playing covers and learning songs from other guys/bands can vastly improve your skills on the guitar and even more so your ability to play with other guys.

If you all actually know a song, know how it has to sound, know how you want it to sound as a band, that is a major advantage in playing together.

It's not like you become a full cover band, but it's a start to work together as musicians.

For example I have a small three piece band going on and we are right now in the practise/get-to-know- phase.

We do that in the way that each of us chose a song we want to learn and play together. After we got that down we go forward to the next.

I myself am much of a classic metal guy. I love playing from thrash to glam, as long as it's 80s.
    Our drummer loves all the 90s stuff. Chili Peppers, RATM, you name it.
    And the bassist is much of a doom/stoner guy.

Now if we all play covers of those genres and styles, we all learn as musicians and work better together. The next step is songs written by us.

7. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

No musicians friends around me haha. I moved a couple of years ago and new language + new life was a bit harder to start. Now I try to create connections, meet people through music with a band or something similar.

Lie is not an option to me. I have no need to lie strangers. About playing live ... could be interesting to try.

I see the point. It is true playing with a band is a long trip, even longer when it would be my "first" time, so I also shouldn't expect to start writing music from the beginning I suppose.

Thanks for the comments :agreed:

8. Andrew May

Andrew May SS.org Regular

It's difficult, everyone approaches things differently. I don't know how to play anyone else's music but prefer to play alone. I played bass with a black metal project briefly and personally couldn't commit the time to learn the material. If you really want to play with others I guess you've got to make compromises ...or go free improv :)

9. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

I was always the person who put 99% of my focus on my own music, my art in my style. But you don't have to think of it in terms of being "interested in being a cover band". Do it to git gud. See it as mastering your instrument properly, because it will do wonders for your own creativity and composing.

Learn the quick spanish attack of Al Di Meola. Learn the delicate phrasing of David Gilmour. Learn the sweeps of Muhammed Suicmez and the constant dynamic acoustic control of Jose Gonzalez, learn the absolute haywire enjoyment of Eddie Van Halen's flow and dig into the absolute pitch control of Stevie Vai. I ventured into all those styles and many more at some point even though I only actually enjoy half of them when it comes to the music they put out. I for example never ever listened to Vai, but I practised plenty of his stuff.

Maybe that could help motivate/inspire you to try and get into it? All the new stuff you learn will vastly improve your creative horizon and your "toolbox" when composing, you could always try to look at it from that point of view?