I am told my tone sucks

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by GiveUpGuitar, Mar 25, 2014.

1. kchay

kchay SS.org Regular

Personally, I'd find new band mates. If you were in the habit of recording, I think a difference in tone would be interesting. But that's me.
    Also, the whole elitist attitude you make us believe he has is probably a sign of future problems.

2. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Exactly what I was going to say.

3. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Band psychology thread is about band psychology. This ain't about tone! Set him straight or move on!

4. GiveUpGuitar

GiveUpGuitar Give Up the Goods!

For those who say I need new bandmates - that really isn't an option, considering the band and I are very close friends, and they are all very talented musicians. This is just the case of butting heads and battling opinions. I did make my band members seem like douchebags, but they are my douchebags and aside from this, they treat me pretty well.

I can say that I thank you all for the positive reassurance. For a while I was convinced that I was in the wrong, but I couldn't admit that because the decade of guitar playing behind me knew better then to settle for less.

The great debate is showing said douchebags this thread :lol:

5. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

If that's the case, you have to ask yourself "is this band worth it?? and "what would i do if i quit" type questions

I find that every band i've ever been in there's some stuff that bugs me eventually, it's just whether it passes a certain level of pain in the ass vs. reward as to whether i hang around or not.

good luck!

6. Lifestalker

Lifestalker SS.org Regular

Do your tones compliment each other well? I think that's the question you all need to ask.

If yes, tell him to .... off and shut his narrow-minded face.
    If no, work it out in a civil manner. Don't be afraid to speak up man. The guy seems douchey.

7. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

Your co-guitarist sounds like a stuck up douchebag. "Tone" is totally subjective. Unless your rig is a crate half stack and you're scooping your mids to death he probably just can't understand why anyone would want to use anything but maximum dirt. Ignore him or politely tell him to .... off. :lol:

8. GiveUpGuitar

GiveUpGuitar Give Up the Goods!

The real problem here is never have a bass player who is also a guitar player. People keep saying "your guitar player ______" but its not even him :lol:

I'm sure we will work all of this out, seeing as our band is mutually our main focus. But god damn is tonality a bitch.

9. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

One way to go is to record the tone you both have and see what the other guys think. Hard to argue with a good recording especially if you AB against a recording you both dig.

10. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

The sound of your band comes from the uniqueness of your tones mixed together. If you like what you hear from your end, then just keep doing what you are doing.

11. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

You could bring in a friend to jam on your rig with the rest of the guys and listen to it. Walk around the rehearsal space and try to capture a complete sound picture. If you like how it sounds in the context of the band, tell him to stop worrying about it.

You can have all the vintage Les Pauls and Dumble amps money can buy, but that won't write a good song.

12. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

Secretly take apart his amp, and make it so the gain knob looks like it's where it normally was but the level is drastically lower. Then convince him that it was never any higher. Mind games. They work.

On a serious note, just let him squabble on how he thinks your tone should be. It is YOUR tone, not his tone. You dictate what you want.

13. Daken1134

Daken1134 SS.org Regular

sounds like you're dealing with the classic high gain douchebag, from what you listed you should have some DAMN good tone unless you figured out how to crap all over that sweet setup, you should just play and if he keeps complaining about your tone as little a difference as it makes, and not paying attention to the music than kick him to the curb or find a new band

14. RevelGTR

RevelGTR PRS, Fender, Warmoth

Eh, he sounds like a dick. As has been said, an overly gainy, scooped tone sounds like muddy boom and hiss in any kind of a mix. It sounds like you've got the right idea.

15. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

He sounds like a ..... Ditch him. Not worth the trouble.

16. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile

Idea:
    Record both of your tones separate, and then together, and send it back to us. You'll get some bad advice, probably, but the majority will probably be good. We prefer your tone: you have support. We prefer his tone: we understand the argument and can try to work things out to give both of you what you want.

17. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

I'd say both of you spend too much time looking at spec sheets its the curse of the internet that we can analyse the components of everything we buy. Use your ears and your fingers to choose gear and guitars.

Another thing to consider is as part of a band your responsibility is to the song and the sound of the band together and ultimately the audience, not your own personal tone.

If you can't agree about gear then don't discuss it. There,s really no need to anyway in my bands we hardly talk about who has what guitar/amp/etc. I'm not terribly impressed with my bandmate's switchblade head but i'd never go to practice and tell him his amp sucks that would be rude and is purely my own opinion (its probably a good amp just not to my personal taste).

You either accept each other and your various rigs or you go your separate ways.

18. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

A past acquaintance of mine was in the same situation in the early 2000s.
    Granted his tone WAS loose slop in this case, but that isn't the point I want to make :p

The rest of the band didn't like his tone and blamed it on his amp, which was nothing special, but wasn't the problem. Personally I'd blame it on his no-name pickups and loose alternate picking style for down-picked thrash.
    Crate GT212 plugged into some Peavey 412 with eminence.
    They argued this guy to sell his crate for a line6 spider 3 head.

Of course this didn't fix his tone as he preferred a sludgy tone despite playing pantera and slayer styles.

He was subsequently kicked out of the band for bad tone and was left with a worse rig in the end.

Don't let someone else decide what is a good tone for you.
    Everyone has variation in how we receive frequencies and then perceive them, you won't be able to please everyone but yourself.

I find my jam friend's tone is too piercing and I can't stand anywhere in front of his amp.
    On the other side he feels I don't turn up my highs as much as I should and finds my tone weak in comparison.

It all comes down to personal preference and if this guy can't stop whining then maybe he should be playing alone.

19. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

You poor soul lol. Blackouts into a DR are not acceptable!

To op:

My band gets together and works on all our tones together. We are constantly trying to hash out the best possible sound overall. It could be that your tone does suck but I doubt it given your equipment. My point is, we let go of any preconcieved notion of what will work and what won't. That is the only way to sort things out. Your friend is a douchebag that has only played what he owns.

20. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Regular

If you trust his experience with live tones you can accept his recommendations. Otherwise, you have to stick to your guns.

Stop being passive about it is important. You have to set your own boundaries. Please do not compromise what you enjoy doing, which in this case is, using your own tone as per your own judgement. He needs to appreciate what you are trying to dial in tone-wise.

Do not compromise, ever again.