I always figured he would be a tool, kinda like Yngwei

sirbuh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agreed with all the positive MAB comments + crappy tone.
Elder shred statesman that just wants to tell stories and shred it up. Well worth catching live.

Gio18

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Few years ago, I was looking at some Dean guitars during NAMM, MAB was next to me and after a few minutes, turned around, saw me looking at guitars and just started talking about how nice they were, which Deans I was interested in and if I was enjoying the convention, really nice dude.
Dude you should make theme songs for pro wrestlers! Not covers but actual songs

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Well, a lot of older guitarists are technical music geeks

Aging nerd is exactly what they are

I feel violated, doxxed even. :lol:

Yngwie can be a humble, thoughtful, totally "gets it" type of cool human. It's only like 6% of the time but it's happened.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't know the guy or his music beyond knowing his name, but i've just watched the entire video because of how wholesome it was.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Forgive me if this story has been told on SSO before-

A buddy of mine was playing at the Whisky during NAMM weekend back in 2011, opening for MAB, so I went to check it out. I was outside having a smoke when MAB pulled up on the sidewalk to unload his gear, he unloaded a couple 4x12s and when he got to the door of the Whisky, he stopped, pulled the cabs to the side of him and held the door open for people behind him, waited until everyone was in and then brought the cabs in.

When he came back out I asked if he needed any help and I can’t remember if I did help him or he declined (it was my drinking days) but I took a minute to tell him his Speed Kills VHS was mind blowing to me when I first saw it at age 11 when I had just started playing. That dude was so gracious and warm, truly thankful for the acknowledgement. That’s success, IMO.

His comments during his set about Dimebag/Pantera and just being so thankful to be able to play in front of people were truly endearing. I feel really bad for the guy when I see him being torn apart in comment sections online. He’s quite aware of his place in the music/guitar realm and he still finds a way to survive with a smile on his face. That’s fucking badass.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Forgive me if this story has been told on SSO before-

A buddy of mine was playing at the Whisky during NAMM weekend back in 2011, opening for MAB, so I went to check it out. I was outside having a smoke when MAB pulled up on the sidewalk to unload his gear, he unloaded a couple 4x12s and when he got to the door of the Whisky, he stopped, pulled the cabs to the side of him and held the door open for people behind him, waited until everyone was in and then brought the cabs in.

When he came back out I asked if he needed any help and I can’t remember if I did help him or he declined (it was my drinking days) but I took a minute to tell him his Speed Kills VHS was mind blowing to me when I first saw it at age 11 when I had just started playing. That dude was so gracious and warm, truly thankful for the acknowledgement. That’s success, IMO.

His comments during his set about Dimebag/Pantera and just being so thankful to be able to play in front of people were truly endearing. I feel really bad for the guy when I see him being torn apart in comment sections online. He’s quite aware of his place in the music/guitar realm and he still finds a way to survive with a smile on his face. That’s fucking badass.

I was actually going to bring up this story because I reead it somewheres. Ended up being yours it seemed. Couldn't remember. :lol:

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve never met him, but in the videos I’ve seen (the one in the OP, some interviews with Troy Grady, Speed Kills) he seems like a regular guy that loves music and guitars. Basically, one of us.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Absolutely loved watching that! It's like 20 minutes of celebration of guitar playing, and MAB seems like a genuinely lovely guy too. Thanks for posting it!

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Thing about MAB is you can't have that hair for 30 years and take yourself seriously. You just can't.

This was like THE guitar video when I was first starting guitar and youtube was becoming a thing.

That one, Canon Rock, and the Petrucci Psycho Exercises spoofs.