I’ve never experienced this..

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Mourguitars, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

image.jpg image.jpg wanted to try a new gauge set so I bought these strings vs my D’Addario s ....put these on 4 months ago with a pick up change to test out a Omega pick up a friend gave me out of is Holcomb..tuned up to drop C and put away , in a a/c environment...opened the case the other day and found this...some metals are not mixing well together....

Mike

2. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Dissimilar metals will always rust. That's why in construction, you can never join aluminum/steel/copper without a dielectric connection.

It happens to most guitars when metals are not coated. I just have never seen it that bad, and so quickly!

SD should send you some pole pieces for free. Give them a call, they are great.

Also, dump those DRs and get some NYXLs!

Mourguitars likes this.
  3. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I think he means that trashed 1st fret where the broken string rested?

The Laihos are nickel-plated steels... the frets, presumably high aluminium content I guess?

Then where the Laihos lost their plating and had steel-on-aluminium contact, the aluminium went baaaaaad --- massive galvanic corrosion

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's nickel silver (copper, nickel, and zinc), not aluminum.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. Mourguitars

Yea I’ve never had this before so it’s back to using D’Addario s , I’ll clean that fret off and re wire the pick guard just to be safe . This has the most stable necks I had ...never a adjustment , feels and plays great

Mike

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Is it just me or do all of the strings show some degree of corrosion? Looks like they're old or had been exposed to the air for a while.

Go To Bed Jessica likes this.
  7. Mourguitars

image.jpg Brand new out of the pack, here’s its sister guitar changed pick ups and string change 52-10 D addarios

8. Mourguitars

Body shot changed pick ups and changed strings same day...

Attached Files:

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I hate DR strings. Worst ive ever tried bar none. So im not surprised.

I had this same issue with the string corrosion (not the guitar corrosion though)

Mine felt like old crap straight out the pack from new.

Never ever using them.

Im elixir now

10. Mourguitars

I was using the ZW boomers on this guitar for years, then Rotosound Darkzone 60-10 I liked them , had a different feel , but the DR strings I had in my string box I thru them out today...Im scared to look inside the cavity wiring...but ill re wire it put in new pots ect. But that was a brand new pickup

Mike

lewis likes this.
  11. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

With the title, I was expecting a "Dear Penthouse Forum..." confession.

vilk, possumkiller and Mourguitars like this.
  12. Mourguitars

Lol....

13. Mourguitars

Wow...i pulled off the pick guard all the wires were brittle, broke real easy, the pots and heat shrink had a salt like substance on them, the ground wire was rusty. That pickup the allen pole pieces that are white took off the black plating...they need to be replaced

When i pulled the guitar out of the case i noticed 4 rust spots where the neck plate screws are...the all the screws and neck plate lost the black plating also ...the case had a smell like muriatic acid best way to describe.

Other than the strings i did switch to some cheap solder..maybe that's the problem but somethings not playing well together , so ordered new pots , a new cap and i have new wiring so its getting a complete over haul...i found some good solder i will use but all my other guitars are in the same place...so again I've never experienced this..very odd

Mike

14. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

I'd switch to these set of strings...guaranteed not to break...air!:)

[​IMG]

;>)/

Viginez and Mourguitars like this.
  15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I had DR strings on a bass do this once. Maybe the strings have copper in them without zinc or something. I've never had this problem with D'Addarios.

Mourguitars likes this.
  16. Mourguitars

Brand new Pickup, brand new strings , played for about 45 min, put back in case ..opened case about 5 weeks later looking like this...

I done the same thing that day to my other Charvel same model....you can see the the condition it’s in . I thought it might be cheap ebay solder but I used it on the other guitar...only change was the brand of strings I switched to try that gauge to see how they feel..

They have the same silica bags in the case about 10 years old that I have new ones coming today.. so I’m not ruling anything out , even putting back in the old pickup back in vs the newer Holcomb that you can see it turned white on the pole screws, it ate the black plating off it and the pick guard screws turned white and again when I open the case it had that acid like smell...

I do change strings frequently , but I have like 14 guitars in different tunings and wasn’t playing anything in D standard for that length of time, all other guitars are fine in the same location

Everything will be in today new pots , cap , wiring and I’m trying those new Pure tone jacks..

I’m in the fishing business and done reel repair so I’m no stranger to rust and corrosion but that salt like substance looked like some kinda science experiment growing in there...

Truly baffled..........

Mike

BlackSG91 likes this.
  17. Mourguitars

Cleaned the fretboard, vacuumed the case , rewired the guitar inside and out. Put a Norton in there ....the power is out due to a storm so the iPad is my only light source so cant put the pickup thru my amps yet ....I do like the Pure Tone jack, I ordered 4 more ....$10 for 2 on Amazon prime shipped....check them out

Mike
    97C72638-A944-4E37-A74A-EC85E7580380.jpeg

Attached Files:

mastapimp likes this.
  18. Mourguitars

Swapped out the Norton for a Crunch Lab with a .22 cap

Now sounds pretty awesome , Basswood can be pretty fickle

Mike