Humbuckers for baritone (Replacing SD Alt 8 and maybe SD Distoriton)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Faldoe, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Faldoe

Faldoe SS.org Regular

LTD baritone. Have a SD Distortion in the neck and Alt 8 in the bridge.

The ALT 8 is a monster but I have Fryette amps - using the Deliverance 120, which has lots of gain - and the hotness of the Alt 8 may be too much added gain. Thinking of something a little more tame.

The Distortion in the neck is alright, still playing with settings but I'd like something that is really thick - I was going to add push/push pots to split the coil in the neck, so if its super meaty and aggressive in the full HB mode that's not too much of an issue as I can split the coils.

I'd like to find stuff that may be more readily available used versus something boutique and likely having to buy new.

I play various kinds of stuff - metal (some chugga riffs) but also like rolling back the volume and getting some mild crunch to good cleans. Cleans are important as I also doing finger picking and mre mellow playing.

What are your thoughts?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

custom 5 bridge and a 59 neck will cover a metric tone of tonal ground. or swap in a pegasus bridge if you want a less scooped midrange .

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  3. Faldoe

Faldoe SS.org Regular

I had a Custom 5 in an LP I since sold and liked it. Never tried it with a baritone. I feel like the 59 neck might be a little lacking in oomph.

4. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I have a guitar with an alt8 and one with a custom 5 and the custom 5 definitely seems to be higher output, may not be what he's looking for

I realize that contradicts SD's pickup descriptions but it's just my personal experience

Maybe try a 59/custom in the bridge and a 59 neck
    or something even lower output like a screamin' demon bridge and seth lover neck

also just a thought but I wonder how it would sound to swap your two pickups positions

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. Faldoe

Faldoe SS.org Regular

I actually have a Screamin demon laying around that I had tried in the neck position of another guitar. I may swap that in and try it.

And that is odd about the Custom 5/Alt 8 as I know the latter is way hotter.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

You could always try something like the alnico II pro neck then. That's a bit thicker sounding.

7. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

The Distortion neck in the bridge spot is a very bright and aggressive pickup, too bright even for me actually. Don't hurt trying it but beware of piercing highs.

If you find the Alt8 too hot but you like it more or less tonally you could try a JB with the magnet swapped for AlnicoII, it will sound sweeter and much more tamed down but the 59/Custom hybrid can be a much better match, the reason I name the JB-AII is because it will be a lot cheaper and easier to find a JB second hand probably and na AII might me easy and cheap enough.

8. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 Member

I have a few baritone scale guitars, one of them has a Dimebucker in the bridge and '59 in the neck, and the others have the Black Winter sets in bridge & neck. The Black Winters in particular might be worth checking out if you're looking for something that still has some gain and balls to it but is a little more "tame" and easier to manage than something like the Alt-8/Distortion combo. I regularly go from playing very heavy downtuned chunky riffing to proggy type cleans so having pickups that can manage both is a necessity. As someone also mentioned, the Alnico II Pro neck pickup is a nice thick sounding choice too worth considering.

9. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Somehow it didn't even occur to me that there are different bridge and neck Distortion pickups

Zhysick likes this.
  10. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

The neck version is lower output and a lot tighter and brighter. Usable with hot singles probably, but not with another neck humbucker (unless a humbucker from hell maybe...)

11. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I can tell you what does NOT work:
    Duncan Custom
    Duncan JB

I used both in my GL-600 LTD Baritone (27" scale, RW/maple neck and mahogany body).
    Both those pickups had too much treble and, in the case of the custom, bass for a baritone, because the scale, strings and tuning will emphasis those frequencies.
    Basically, for a baritone you'll want less emphasis on treble and bass and more on mids, cause otherwise it's all boom and hiss with no substance. It can sound ok at home, but sucks a lot in band context.
    Rule of thumb - if it sounds good in a Les Paul, it will probably sound bad in a baritone. If it sounds good in a trebly superstrat, the chances are higher it will also fit a baritone.

12. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

FYI, the Black Winter is one awesome baritone pickup. It has plenty of mids, and sounds great clean up to the most distortion you can throw at it.

SubsonicDoom99 likes this.