How's a Randall RX120RH + RX412 to play in a flat?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by OmegaSlayer, May 29, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

For a flat I mean home, not a half step lower :p
    I found what I think is a very good deal on a sort of Italian Reverb.
    The price is € 270,00 amp+cab.

I so wanted a Head+Cab for forever but a full one would be overkill at home, lately I thought of the Orange Micro Dark Terror so this one could be a nice idea.

I mostly play extreme metal and shred, but I want to venture into jazz territories, or other stuff with lower levels of gain.
    What do you suggest me?
    Thanks a lot.

2. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I had that setup awhile ago. That amp has a good Volume control. Wasn't jumpy. Nice progressive taper.

But, no amp sounds or feels all that great at super low volumes.
    It's not until a certain dB level where the guitar, amp, and speakers start to all interact with each other that the response becomes pleasurable to the player.
    Usually this is right at the cusp of being a non-neighbor friendly volume.

That, and a ported cab, or 4x12 will throw out more low frequencies that carry through a building and rumble the structure more.

Digital Modeling... that's been the best solution for at home players with volume restrictions.
    It's will sound and feel like the amp & speakers are cranked, but at a sane dB level.

3. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Yeah, I had been thinking about an Axe FX II but people say that without good cab/speaker is useless anyway :(

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Axe seems perfectly fine without a cab. Given the stock Axe impulses are awesome, and you can use custom IRs, you don't need a big cab and cranked power amp.

5. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

No need to go all out on the high end modeling stuff like Fractal or Kemper.

There are many others to choose from in the marketplace that sound and work great.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Amplifire and GSP1101 get a lot of love. They can also use custom IRs, which is where a lot of the praise comes from.

The Amplifire has less features than the GSP (which has a LOT of features), but sounds better and more natural due to the more up-to-date software.

7. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I have been playing Fractal since 2010 and I haven't heard anyone say that. Who is this "they" you speak of? Modelers are ideal for your scenario and Fractal is one the absolute top choices.