How would you guys recommend routing screw holes?

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
So I got a Q-tuner for my pendulum a little while back knowing the mounting holes are in the corners where the active that was in there was in the center.

SO it needs new screw holes, which I'm debating doing myself. I just haven't figured out a way to do the measurements right for the holes.

Figure I ask you guys in case you have any tricks / tips before I head out to work and when I get back do some googling.

Berserker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You've got the direct mounts I assume? Surely you can put the screws in and screw a tiny bit in so it marks the wood and you can see where the holes need to be.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
All ya must do, is get a bit a little smaller than the screws and drill about a quarter or so of the length of the screw into the wood as a guide hole. That outta give you some good..holes...I suppose...god I'm tired

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
All ya must do, is get a bit a little smaller than the screws and drill about a quarter or so of the length of the screw into the wood as a guide hole. That outta give you some good..holes...I suppose...god I'm tired

note, drill a hole with a drill all the length of the screw. the drill bit needs to be smaller than the screw. Not only does it work as a guide for the screw but also to make it go in easy and most important, It prevents the wood from cracking and splitting.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
note, drill a hole with a drill all the length of the screw. the drill bit needs to be smaller than the screw. Not only does it work as a guide for the screw but also to make it go in easy and most important, It prevents the wood from cracking and splitting.

I think he said 1/4 the length of the screw as the screw is going through the pickup too. So you won't need full depth, but probably closer to it.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
You've got the direct mounts I assume? Surely you can put the screws in and screw a tiny bit in so it marks the wood and you can see where the holes need to be.

I meant more for the sake of lining up the holes.

This one seems to be the only response about that, this would be ok to do? Would anyone else recommend this?

idunno

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thats the easiest way, unless a needle tip sharpie is long enough, i think qtuners are to fat for that though. Then pre drill with a smaller bit to avoid splitting and easing the entry...

PROTIP! Choose a drill bit that is the thickness of the screw MINUS the threads. Hold them point to point to get a good view of the size. ALSO measure the screw and your guitar from bottom to the route to the back, and be damn sure it wont come out the back.....

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Thats the easiest way, unless a needle tip sharpie is long enough, i think qtuners are to fat for that though. Then pre drill with a smaller bit to avoid splitting and easing the entry...

PROTIP! Choose a drill bit that is the thickness of the screw MINUS the threads. Hold them point to point to get a good view of the size. ALSO measure the screw and your guitar from bottom to the route to the back, and be damn sure it wont come out the back.....

When you say pre-drill you just mean the pilot holes?

Btw again I'm just looking for the best / simplest way to line up the holes, I already know about the pilot hole stuff otherwise and that info is all over the net.

idunno

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I meant.

Its really no big deal, just put the thing in an screw it haha. I cant imagine anyway to mess up other than using giant screws that go through the body.