How useful would a guitar registry be?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Nicki, Mar 25, 2020.

Would you be interested in using a guitar registry to register you as the owner of an instrument?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
  1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

the issue i see with this concept is for those who flip their guitar for profit.
    as in, if i got an incredible deal on a les paul, that the previous owner thought was a cibson, but i verified it to be real. i can flip it for far more than i paid for it. the new buyer wont be too happy with me making a large profit on it

2. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

The biggest issue would be the sheer numbers of guitars to be catalogued, and compliance in general. Most people that play aren’t involved heavily in guitar internet stuff, and people then just couldn’t be bothered.

3. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

I think a registry for people who BST expensive or otherwise rare guitars is a little too niche. Unless it was open to all price brackets but as cool as it is to see what people do with their instruments, I really don't want to look at a feed that's 95% <$600 guitars I can just buy off the shelf, or tons of near identical duplicate guitars. The coolest idea I'm coming up with is being able to look back at my history of guitars in accurate detail. Plus, forget accuracy, there's nothing stopping someone from gaming the system.

Which kind of turns my attention to the social aspect of a site like that. I have a spreadsheet for my guitars that contains many/more of the things talked about here, sans the visual documentation which is in my head. I also like to see and talk about guitars and guitar stuff. Like a TV show tracker or something. But again, far too niche. SSO is massive for ERGs but look how dead other niche forums are. Sites like Facebook and Instagram are massive (but unorganized) ways of seeing tons of gear, and half the time I need a stock picture of a guitar it's coming off Reverb or Pinterest. I just don't see the appeal to "transfer" or even "add" another website to my roster of things to do.

4. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I swear I've seen this before, but I can't for the life of me remember where. I can't even remember how long ago it was, so searching for it seems fruitless.

What I do, however, is to just keep a google spreadsheet with all of my gear listed. It has serial numbers and any other info such as mods, identifying factors, etc. Luckily I haven't needed to use it for any purpose other than giving a friend a detailed list of microphones in my collection when she was recording an album and needed gear, but it makes me feel better that it's there in case anything happens, all the same.

5. benny

benny Ibanez RG Addict

Like others here, I already do this for myself...and there's no issue if I forget to remove an instrument that I sold/traded.

I think the greatest benefit from your idea would be to search serial numbers to potentially discover if guitars are stolen.

This is exactly what I was thinking about!

c7spheres likes this.
  6. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

So it seems the biggest issue that people have would be entering the price they paid for it. This could be something that only the current owner of the guitar sees and not someone searching the serial number.

But the numbers seem split down the middle nearly 50/50 about whether this is useful.

7. Aewrik

Aewrik SS.org Regular

I think the biggest issue would be getting people to update the page. A general catalogue would be fun (kind of like the Ibanez wiki), but tracking ownership? Maybe if you set some kind of expiry on each item, say you have to log in once every other year or it's removed.

I've been through hell trying to get contracting parties to update contact lists in multi-million dollar contracts, even though it's in their best interest, and not ours (i.e. if shit goes down and we can't reach them, they're the ones directly affected).

Keeping a voluntary information exchange active except for the very few people who can keep such a trivial commitment... I think I know what the magic 8-ball would say.

8. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

GPS and registration services are available for musical instruments already. It's basically not worth the cost and hassle except for very expensive stuff: you have to pay for hosting, office, salaries etc, which are needed for you to be taken seriously. No database hosted by a kid on a free ISP will ever be taken seriously, especially if anyone can modify the data.

9. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

1. Not a kid - 31 yr old dude who actually knows what he's doing
    2. I can actually build a site from the ground up with a large database back-end because I have the server grade hardware to do it and well over 13 years of professional programming experience in both front and back-end technologies.
    3. All personal information would be encrypted using AES-256 and login would be authenticated via JWT tokens with an option to include 2FA with a token generator such as the Google Authenticator.
    4. The site would contain ads to offset any overhead costs that would go along with hosting on a professional hosting site.
    5. Maybe provide some meaningful feedback instead of being an arrogant prick. Just a thought.

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

"a kid by a free ISP" was a figure of speech meant to imply that professionals using such a service want a household name validated by known and accountable insurance companies.

If you want to throw personals in, try me: I've been in the network and then internet business since... well, since before you were born, actually. Kid. :D
    And as a side note, if that is the answer you have when issued feedback, just don't start a company.

In more plain terms, you're trying to reinvent the wheel. There's no business opportunity there.

Spicypickles likes this.
  11. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Well, I can say that ever since I joined Discogs (a similar idea for cataloging your album collection), my spending on albums has gone up considerably. I can only imagine what a similar idea for gear would do to my bank account.

12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Yeah, I think it’s a cool enough idea but getting enough people to actively participate and keep it up would be a challenge to the point I think it’d be so sporadic that it wouldn’t be very useful. You also have to remember that such a large segment of the guitar buying population is older and isn’t that tech savvy and likely would have minimal interest. I think it’d have a better chance of working with something that’s specific, modern, and niche—maybe like Aristides. I could see a user base like that having a much better chance for participation than older guys selling AVRI Strats on craigslist. I still think that would be a challenge and ultimately not a great resource because it’d end up so spotty and full of inaccurate info.

13. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Relevant story:

I bought a guitar from a custom luthier many years back, mid-2000s. They'd garnered somewhat of an international reputation that they were proud of, so they had taken to the practice of creating a 'map' of customers' guitars on google earth to show where their instruments were at, all over the world. In some cases (and this was true for me) they dropped the google map pin right on the customer's house.

I didn't pay much attention to the map feature of the website until my house was robbed and my guitar was stolen. I immediately had the map pins moved and contacted the luthier to let him know that my guitar had been taken (and to ask him to get in touch with me if he was contacted about it). He apologised and said it was a foolish thing in hindsight; he then surmised that the guitar was probably taken by career criminals who were looking to sell it on the black market at the nearest big city.

I didn't hear anything else about it for years, then the luthier contacted me out of the blue. Someone near to where I'd lived asked him for an estimate on what the guitar was worth and how much it'd cost to buy another one with different specs. I took the 'thief's' email from him and got in touch with the police who set up a sting operation.

I'll save the exciting details for another time, but, long story short, I recovered the guitar and discovered what really happened to it had nothing to do with google map pins or the Internet. Sure, that was a dumb idea then and is a really stupid idea today. But we're talking the mid-2000s internet and a niche luthier's website that wasn't getting much web traffic. The idea that career criminals were waiting for me to receive the guitar so they could steal it was always a far-fetched theory.

What had really happened is that, after I got the guitar, I'd told a few close friends/jam buddies. I was in high school at the time, so those close friends told their friends, and before you knew it half the school seemed to know I had a 'special and expensive' guitar. The police never worked out the full details from interrogating the thief, but he claimed he didn't steal it and bought it from his cousin. I worked out that this cousin was likely an acquaintance of mine (who, after high school, had apparently been involved in criminal activities); he'd recently started playing guitar and I put two and two together. I never pressed charges (nor could I have just based on suspicion), but there you go. I not only knew the thief but lived probably 30 minutes away from him.

It is sort of like that statistic that most murders and sexual assaults happen within one's own family. We're very careful about what we do online and scrutinise our online identities. Yet most of the time you'll get robbed because you live on the wrong side of town or because you said the wrong thing to the wrong person and didn't realise it.

The moral of the story is that you always have to be careful about what you say and do. I can't tell you how many times I've been told rather revealing things by people I hardly knew, just because we were talking in-person and there was no record of it like there would be online. In some ways, people have become more trusting of in-person conversations because they've become weary of the Internet and 'Big Brother' by contrast.

Paranoia is a step too far, but what I'm saying is that discretion is best when exercised in all aspects of your life.

zappatton2, ramses and ascl like this.
  14. ascl

ascl SS.org Regular

Agreed.

Glad you got your guitar back, I've had guitars stolen before and it sucks.

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  15. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

All re-selling/re-buying that same LACS RG7 that has been on SS.org for years with MaxOfMetal moderating the transactions, :p

mlp187 and spudmunkey like this.
  16. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

I don't see this working. Two reasons:

* No-one is going to send paperwork to prove ownership.
    * Asking, receiving and verifying paperwork is expensive, therefore the website would have to charge a fee.

It seems that an official appraisal to then cheaply insure your instrument is the same amount of work, and better proof of ownership ... and you are also insured.