How useful would a guitar registry be?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Nicki, Mar 25, 2020 at 4:02 PM.

Would you be interested in using a guitar registry to register you as the owner of an instrument?

1. Yes

48.0%
  2. No

52.0%
  1. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I've been thinking about writing website where guitarists/bassits could register their instruments as a way of keeping a sort of inventory/ownership tracking. The general idea is that someone registers an instrument with the serial number, uploads pictures, indicates where & when it was purchased, how much it was purchased for and the current ownership status of the instrument (currently own, no longer own, stolen).

Further to this, anyone can search a guitar/bass by serial number and see the current ownership status of the guitar, who (as a username) owns the instrument and contact info if the search shows that the instrument was stolen. In terms of selling gear, if two users of the site proceed with a transaction to sell/purchase the instrument, ownership can be transferred to a user and the site would keep record of who has owned the instrument during what time periods, giving a history of the instrument.

Other documentation could be added such as dates of service & modifications and such if that info interests anyone.

It could also potentially be used by retailers and dealers to transfer ownership of an instrument to a user of the site for ownership tracking purposes and so on.

If there's interest in building a site like this, I'll happily do it.

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Personally, no interest. Could it be cool? Sure. But with as often as gear changes hands, and as lackadaisical as most people (and musicials) are about record keeping and following up on things like this, it would be an unuseable mess in a year, IMO.

I could see a use for a website where I could record data for all of my own gear for either insurance purposes, or if there was some sort of social-media aspect, like where you can easily share a "profile" of a piece of gear on facebook or soemthing, and where it could include check-boxes for which pieces of data you want to share (for example, I wouldn't necessarily want to include purchase price and serial number, etc).

And while it's maybe helpful to know on the buyer's side...if you're trying to sell a guitar, do you want every other perspective buyer to see that it was owned by 9 people before you?

vilk likes this.
  3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

It's great idea in theory but about 6 of us would use it and 1 of us would properly maintain records.

BenjaminW, ikarus, XPT707FX and 4 others like this.
  4. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

I think one pain point for data collection would be how much it sold for. Some folks are reluctant to give that information away

BenjaminW, odibrom and spudmunkey like this.
  5. spudmunkey

Definitely. It's no business of anyone else how much I paid for it, when I'm selling it. What if someone just gave me a really rocking deal because they were in a hurry to sell and I paid cash, even though it's worth more? Am I now going to have a hard time selling it for what it's actually worth if everyone can see that I paid less for it?

Like I said, I am actually inspired to see if there's any resources out there like that for just my own insurance records....but not for anyone else to see.

Jeffrey Bain likes this.
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Those who want to catalogue this info already do it themselves, I imagine.

If you have tenant insurance or house insurance (or you tour and have that type of insurance) then you should already have all your serial numbers recorded, ideally with some pics.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I think that the niches for certain makes/models are probably reliable enough for more remarkable pieces. I'm sure there are people who know more about a given '59 Les Paul than they do their grandkids.

A registry that would encompass every random plank belched-out of plants in China/Korea/Indonesia by the shipping container-full? Seems needless. Kind of like when someone proposed an IMDB equivalent for musicians, the signal-to-noise ratio would be too low for it to be useful.

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I like the idea of this, but honestly wouldn't personall use it myself. I'm a bit paranoid about people knowing what I own and who I am because I migh get robbed or burglary etc. Paranoia.
    - I don't see how the information could be maintained or confirmed without total honesty from the participants however, which might lead to problems of it being legitimate information etc. I don't see people updating informtion after selling things, always being truthful on the selling prices etc.
    - Good idea but hardening that reliability of information seem to be the hard part I would think.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I prefer the idea of somehow hiding GPS under pickups or something so guitars that are stolen - are discoverable very quickly

10. ascl

ascl SS.org Regular

Providing a public list of all the instruments I own, along with pricing and personally identifiable information seems like a terrible idea from a security perspective (yes I'm paranoid). Even if this was somehow restricted access, it is still likely to get leaked.

11. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Only reason I'd probably use something like that would be for insurance purposes, and as it sits, my renter's insurance doesn't care about my possessions, just my apartment. Really cool idea though. I used to use discogs in a similar fashion for my record collection, but then I forgot my login info.

12. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

I just keep a few pictures and a text file of serial numbers and names in a cloud drive.

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It reminds me of that thing Carvin used to do to keep tabs on their instruments. @spudmunkey do you remember what that was called?

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've seen a few variations on this concept over the years. At some point, hosting and site maintenance just becomes a burden and no one is willing to pay for it.

Not to mention, I doubt folks want people to know exactly what they spent on everything. :lol:

15. Maple Hill Cabin Studio

Maple Hill Cabin Studio SS.org Regular

For insurance purpose I think it's a good idea to keep track of your guitars.

But I am more interested in a database for effect pedals where you can register the pedals you have, what pedals you have on your wish list etc. Maybe most people don't have a need for something like this, but after a while when you start acquire a little collection of pedals it is actually not so easy to remember what pedals you have. And yes, it has to be mobile friendly.

oppgulp and c7spheres like this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I like a similar idea. It would be similar to a Reverb/Ebay but more like Craigslist. (bear with me here)

- First off, all the money and transactions would be directly between the two partys and their financial institutions. No middle man BS.
    - Second, all stuff would NOT be done via a key word search. It would all be done by a link starting with the brand. So you'd click a button that says "Ibanez" then "guitars" then "electric" etc. So that way you don't miss out on that badass rg7ct for the 5th time because of some shoddy search engine. Everything would come up for sale in that category. The user could make their own category like "7 string" etc, but once a category is created like "7 string" everyone else would have the option to use it but not also create the same category themsleves. This way, eveyone visiting would be able to actually see eveything possible listed for sale. This is good for everyone. Then it you could do the normal search by lowest price. Also, no auction format, just selling.
    - If there's a problem the two people hack it out with their financial institutions OR (not required) there could also be a seller option to require an 3rd pty arbitration company AND the buyer could also filter listings that only show either type of listings that offer either a third pty OR direct transactions. This way buyers and sellers could have options who they want to deal with incase of any issues instead of being at the mercy of Ebay or the other guys bank etc. It would be all each partys choise how they handle stuff. No compromise for either party.

17. khm

khm SS.org Regular

This sounds like a good case scenario for something like VeChain. Its a block chain traceability solution which I believe BMW are now using, as our some fashion companies. It allows you to track items, when they exchange hands, when parts are added / removed, and its completely accessible to the public. Although, again the fall down would indeed be musicians not updating when receiving a new guitar. Maybe worth the OP looking at their toolchain solution (open for the general public) see if it would fit the website.

18. spudmunkey

Snagg

Hollowway likes this.
  19. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Just throwing it out there, there's a similar site out there for camera gear (lenstag). Mostly used for if your gear gets stolen, whoever buys it unknowingly can look it up and see if you reported it stolen.

Doesn't seem like guitarists would have the same buy-in though.

benny likes this.
  20. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

Registration... then confiscation.

upload_2020-3-26_19-28-50.jpeg

No thanks, Obama!

c7spheres likes this.