How to tune guitar with Locking nut / fine tuners? (fx edge III-8)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by AxiomXIII, Sep 8, 2019.

1. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

I'm about to buy a RG2228 but one of the things holding me off is the bridge.
    Many people say it has top notch tuning stability but tuning or changing strings on the thing seems like a hassle to me.
    Never had experience with this kinda bridge.
    Is it tricky or isnt it actually that bad?
    Also is it a good bridge to use or is it actually bad?

Maybe some tips or tricks and things NOT to do to not ruin the bridge, neck etc?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

You can't ruin the neck by changing strings unless you put monster strings on there and tune up to A or higher (from F#-std)... and even then.

I assume you've only had fixed bridges and never a Floyd?

Basically, this is the same as a fixed bridge but with added fine tuners at the bridge.

String the guitar up, set the fine tuners to the middle depth, tune roughly (slightly under is best), lock down the top nut gently (do not over-tighten, just hand tightened is good), and then fine tune at the bridge.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I wish they would make this bridge in a 7 string format, I love the rock-solid tuning stability of a double-locking system, and the fine accuracy of the fine tuners on the bridge, but I don’t ever use trems.

The only potential damaging problem I’ve seen with this bridge, is people tying to adjust up the height using those two big studs on either side without also adjusting that Allen key bolt in the middle by the fine tuners. I think I’ve seen people try to raise it up, but leave that bolt in position, thus pulling the bolt upwards out of the body. Granted I’ve only seen that issue on people with RGA8’s for some reason. Make sure you adjust all three in unison if you want to change the bridge height.

Other than that, literally any Floyd or edge setup video should tell you all you need to know, except you can ignore anything about spring tension balance.

If you don’t like it you can ignore the fine tuners and just leave the nut unlocked, just using it like a normal guitar.

USMarine75 likes this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That problem was unique to first batch RG2228s (anything with an F06xxxxx to F0709xxx [January] to F0711xxx [February] serials) and first full production year RGA8s.

They didn't anchor that middle screw properly, but after those dates they went from a 1/4" open ended insert to a fatter 1/2" insert that's closed at the end. They made the same change to the RGA8s subsequently as well.

mnemonic likes this.
  5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Fixed trem bridges are an excellent idea (i actually think it should be the standard for headed guitars, to make string bending usable), and less hassle than a trem bridge. Tuning or changing strings isn't problematic.

6. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I don't use the locking nut anymore. Clip the ball end off, whack it in the bridge, string it up and tune.

That's all. Rock-solid bridge. The fine tuners are a godsend.