How to tell how a superstrat/non-pointy guitar hangs when wearing a strap w/o actually trying it?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by jco5055, Jul 22, 2021.

1. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

So I've recently re-discovered(looking at a thread I made in 2018 lol) that I love how V's, Warriors, and other similar pointy shapes really work perfectly for classical or quasi-classical sitting, where not only is usually the left leg used (sometimes both legs together) but the neck is pointed higher up than the normal superstrat/traditional shape is if you just sit the guitar on your left leg. A lot of headless/ergonomic shapes also work with the non-rounded edge of the guitar near the controls.

Now besides myself exploring builders that offer these kinds of shapes, I don't want to completely limit myself, as I think we can all agree some of the best guitars don't fit this pointy/best for classical positioning. So I think a workaround is wearing a strap, even when sitting, that I can position in such a way so that I can still be in that ideal position for me (that works strap-less with the pointys).

Is there an easy way to tell by maybe looking at the strap positione etc if a guitar can be put in this position without needing to use weighted straps etc to tilt it more vertical? I would just test myself but I only currently have my backup guitar (Indonesian Jackson Soloist) and I never bothered buying a strap for it. Obviously most guitar stores don't have straps either to give you to try a guitar with.

This picture of Oli Herbet is what I'm talking about: olistrat.jpeg

Thanks!

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Nope. But you can buy a strap that wont move when you wear it.

BenjaminW and jco5055 like this.
  3. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Dumb question, but do most higher end straps work? Or like it needs to be leather?

4. budda

Doesnt have to be leather, or expensive. I just got one, i'll post the model once im at my rig. Didnt mean to either :lol:

jco5055 likes this.
  5. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I set my straps higher on Strats than I do on my other guitars because they look really goofy if I have them below my navel like I do with my Les Pauls for example. Plus it's easier to play them at a higher height for me.

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

No. Plus: a neck that's pointing at an angle above 45° (like in the picture you posted) is impossible with the usual Superstrat shapes in the market.

7. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Does that Jackson in the picture differ in some way to the usual superstrat shapes? I think Oli also used to set his Ibanez S models the same way...so while those both differ slightly (meaning I always think of like a Soloist or RG being the most basic shape) I don't see what particularly is different to allow them to get the more vertical position.

8. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Take your own strap with you ?

budda likes this.
  9. budda

Shops will also have a strap you can use.

10. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Thank you guys, I am going to Chicago Music Exchange today to try out a Jackson MJ Dinky so I will ask them if they have a strap! Also though, anyone have recommendations on a strap that doesn't move I can buy? I don't mind spending money on a spare strap just so I can bring one just to be safe in future situations.

11. budda

They should be able to recommend one. Levy's makes a cloth looking one that holds well.

jco5055 likes this.
  12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

See https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/determining-guitar-balance-through-simple-visualisation.333311/
    You just need to work out where the Centre Of Mass is, which can be done by looking at a photo of the guitar balancing on one leg: the COM will be vertically above the leg (it can often be assumed by rough approximation to be somewhere along the centreline of the guitar).
    Then you will be disappointed how poorly balanced 99.9% of guitar designs are =D

However, whether the guitar is stable at a particular angle very much depends on how much friction there is between the strap and your body. Almost all guitar designs are poorly balanced but are stable at non-extreme playing angles due to strap friction.
    So actually you never know for sure until you try one with a wide and rough strap.

For that photo in your post, the COM will be almost vertically underneath the top horn strap button, which means almost 100% of the guitar's weight is on that end of the strap, and almost no weight on the other end of the strap, a very unstable situation.