How to Setup Unusual Carvin Cab Connection

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by GhostHost, Jun 9, 2017.

1. GhostHost

GhostHost SS.org Regular

I recently bought a used Carvin G412 280 watt cabinet, and am having trouble figuring out the correct way to connect it to my amp head.
    [​IMG]

I couldn't get my own photo to upload, but this is the exact same model as mine. The only difference is, mine has this coin sized and shaped rubber insert where the empty hole is in the picture. The arrows pointing up and down seem ike they're telling you to select between setting the cabinet to 8 ohms or 4 ohms, but the rubber circle just turns endlessly in either direction, and it doesn't seem like it's supposed to come out or really do anything at all. I'm just trying to run it mono at 8 ohms, but I don't want to connect it to my amp head if the cabinet is set at a different impedance. Do I simply just run the speaker cable from the amp heads 1x8 ohm jack to the mono left input and no actual switching is required?

2. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

It might have been modified by a previous owner.

The only way to be sure will be to use an ohm-meter to check it out, or pull the back off and inspect the wiring yourself. Post pictures, if you are not sure what you are looking at.

GhostHost likes this.
  3. GhostHost

GhostHost SS.org Regular

Thank you for the reply.
    I figured out Carvin still sells cabinets with this configuration on them, the rubber insert thing and all. So, that leads me to believe it's not modified. I'm going to call Carvin tomorrow and see if they can help me out. I am slightly worried they might kind of brush me off or half-ass it though, since I bought it used and am not really an actual customer of theirs. So if anyone has any experience with these cabs or anything to share, I'd still appreciate it in case the call yields little results.

4. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I'm not sure what you are describing. Personally, I would unscrew the cover and see what's going on with it.

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

My guess is that they use that same plate with their mono cabs and stereo/mono cabs. That hole would(in my mind) have a toggle switch for stereo, and a rubber blank for mono. Just plug your speaker cable into the left input, set your multi meter to ohms and stick the black lead on the sleeve(long part) and the red lead on the tip of the exposed jack. This will show you the total impedance of the cab.