How to set up Waza Metal Zone EQ settings for modern metal?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by coolmoonjayden, Oct 6, 2019.

1. coolmoonjayden

coolmoonjayden Village Idiot

I'm currently in a band where all electric instruments plug into a single audio interface, so I don't know how it affects the tone.
    We have no real way to affect our EQ settings outside of pedals AFAIK.
    ATM the closest thing I have to an EQ pedal is my Waza Metal Zone, how would you recommend setting up a modern metal tone on it?
    I play a Schecter Omen 8 with stock pickups, and I run it into a TS9 with the volume & tone at max and drive at 0.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Where are you getting your distortion from?

Winspear likes this.
  3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yeah I'd like to know the full set up, a bit unclear what's going on here.

cwhitey2 and StevenC like this.
  4. coolmoonjayden

It goes from Omen 8 -> Metal Zone -> TS9 -> Audio Interface.
    The Audio Interface, as far as I can tell, doesn't add anything to my sound
    I think most of the distortion comes from the metal zone, but I have both set with gain at or near 0. Neither sounds very distorted alone but together I like the distortion.

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Is that going into a DAW or what?

6. coolmoonjayden

I'm not really familiar with how it works or even what it is, though I'm pretty sure we use some kind of analogue workstation.
    For context, it's kind of a metal-orchestra where we have a conductor who has all the audio stuff and we only meet up once a week, so it's difficult to get any specifics on that kind of equipment for now.
    Right now we're on a 2 week break so if it's absolute necessary info then I'll try to figure out ASAP but don't expect it to be soon.

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The way you're using the TS9 it's essentially just a sculpted boost. The biggest effect it'll have is to boost your signal heading into the audio interface and possibly cause it to clip. Traditionally metal musicians would use their TS style pedals before their main gain stage. If you're not having any luck with the Metal Zone, something like a Boss GE-7 might be more useful.

8. fproject

fproject Member

Ditch all pedals, record direct and use a good VST. You'll get much, much better results.
    The metal zone + TS9 is going to give you more problems than anything.
    If you're set on using those pedals, its hard to say. Its not going to sound any good unless you're at least running some kind of Speaker IR.

Nlelith likes this.
  9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

TS9 and MZ should probably swap as mentioned. Then the TS9s is your boost and your MZ is your 'head'. You really, really need cab IRs after that because guitar cabs shape the tone in an essential way. You'll just have fizz without. I am in support of ditching the pedals in favour of a full VST rig though if your computer can handle it.

The Mooer Radar is a cab IR loader pedal if you'd like to have your tone taken care of 'out front' to just handover to the person in charge (rather than sorting out cab IRs on their computer).

10. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

I would take the TS9 out of the equation completely. There's not much need to be boosting a Metal Zone. It's not a "dark" pedal per se, and it's not as if there isn't enough gain on tap. I second using a Mooer Radar to load your IRs before hitting the board/DAW/whatever. They're cheap and you get more control over your final tone.

11. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

I have max bass, max gain, and the 2 mid EQs opposite to each other and its very sensitive to find the sweet spot. Sounds more brutal than my archon lead channel...

12. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

I don't have the Waza, but when I was using a MZ I wouldn't have dreamed of having gain past half.