How to reduce DI bass clipping?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by ragnorok, Apr 15, 2015.

1. ragnorok

ragnorok SS.org Regular

I have an older ibanez soundgear 5 string that i bought for recording, and my only method as of now is to run it direct into my scarlette 2i2. I have it set to intrument recording on the interface itself but i literally have to keep the gain at zero. And it STILL clips on the 5th string. Even turning the bass volume down doesnt help. I mean in the mix it isnt terribly noticable but when i solo the bass track its very noticable. Is there any way around this?

2. Clocks

Clocks SS.org Regular

do you have some sort of eq/preamp on the bass controls? maybe turn off/down anything caused by those. But it's very odd that it's clipping even with the gain turned down, does your interface have a line in rather than an instrument input, try using that?

3. Axe Cop

Axe Cop SS.org Regular

Does your bass have active pickups? If so this is probably what is causing the clipping. Your options are probably another interface or a di box before the interface.

4. ragnorok

ragnorok SS.org Regular

It does have active pickups =/

5. S-O

S-O t(-.-t)

Does that interface have a pad?

6. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

The DI box seems to be the answer I always hear. I have the same issue with my Presonus Audiobox. It clips like a mofo even with the gain set to 0. It's irritating as hell, especially since the best answer I seem to get is to spend more money on more electronic doohickies.

edit: Keep in mind that guitars/basses clip for me regardless of if they're active or passive.

7. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Buy a DI box, it effectively converts a high impedance signal such as the one from a typical passive bass (or your active bass, doesn't matter) to a line level signal.

It's designed to 'show' your bass the input it needs to deliver a bright, clear sound - the input impedance of anything you plug into can load pickups and change the sound - then attenuate it, add in some current for good measure, and spit out a nice, healthy, line level signal.

You can pick up any old DI box and it'll probably cost you $30-50. Useful thing to have!