How to Humanize drums directly in cubase

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Metalloutd, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Metalloutd

Metalloutd SS.org Regular

Hello everyone!
    I have this problem, because I use a drum's library through kontakt's program and inside of it I do not find the parameters to humanize it, is there a way directly in cubase to act on midi track (quantization, velocity)?
    I searched on the web for something about it but I did not find anything interesting

This is my last song and I like as the drums sound but I found them too artificial..
    https://soundcloud.com/tiziano-metallo/silent-brawl

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Does Cubase have a midi editor?

I sequence drums by hand, and use Reaper's midi editor to manually set velocities in a realistic manner. Then I add a slight amount of tempo and velocity randomization in Reaper and then let Superior add its own humanization.

Metalloutd likes this.
  3. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

cubase has one of the best midi editor/piano rolls of all the DAWs. Absolute pleasure to work with, so yeah, he can do it all directly through cubase.

odibrom, schwiz and Metalloutd like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've never used Cubase. :lol:

Then yeah, this is the route I'd go. If you know anything at all about playing drums, this is the best way to get realistic performances.

Metalloutd likes this.
  5. Metalloutd

@TheKindred

Mmm since my midi track are already wrote, how can I change velocity or quantizzation?

@Drew

:flex:
    I remember my drummer and his job (20 years ago lol) but translate all on that damn midi-world is pretty difficult and frustrating

6. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

you should just be able to drop the midi file onto the track in cubase and then doubleclick to open (or go through the manual piano roll link).

Once you're there it's just about adjusting the velocities/dynamics to suit your tastes.

Metalloutd likes this.
  7. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

Double click on the midi-track and you'll be able to edit the velocities of each hit. You can also mark notes you want to quantize, open the quantization panel, and randomize the quantization with the desired amount of ticks.

Metalloutd likes this.
  8. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Don't edit all the velocities manually.
    There's this "midi modifier" in the midi insert section in cubase.
    You can randomize velocities and timings there.
    I would advise only to edit certain hits manually like the very first hit of a new part, snare rolls or parts where the drums play really fast.

Other than that...it highly depends on the samples you use.
    Especially with faster stuff, a lot of the commonly used drum samplers reveal weaknesses (the cymbals in particular sound horribly fake).
    I would recommend recording your own samples in every desired velocity.
    I already did this myself and it brought tons of realism/human feel that addictive drums couldn't offer.
    And you will achieve a unique drum sound that stands out from the lame Superior drummer sound that always seems to sound the same.
    But you have to bother with proper recording and processing going that route.

Metalloutd likes this.
  9. Metalloutd

Many thanks to all!!
    I'll try to do as you say!

Although of course you can not humanize too much that which is not human :(

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You'd be surprised.

11. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

If you wanna get real slick with it, learn how to use logical editor. :)

12. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

humanize then quantize again. safe bet in any DAW. I feel like the velocity has a way bigger impact on making it sound human than whether its 100% to the grid or not.

Seybsnilksz likes this.
  13. odibrom

odibrom .

I'm late to this party but I feel I have something to add, so sorry if it is repeated, it didn't seam to have been spoken of yet.

My experience isn't as big as many of you but I have successfully created drum tracks that fooled some educated musicians, drummers included. At the time I was using Cubase, so, this to say that it is possible to nitpick drum MIDI editing.

1. In my opinion, before all one must remember how a drummer works... 2 hands/arms + 2 legs/feet, which means 4 notes maximum at the same time, most often there are 2... Then it is also importante to remember that some combos aren't possible, like hitting 2 opposite (panorama L/R related) cymbals and the snare at the same time. One cannot have the tempo hit at the hihats, snare and a crash at the same instant, for example.
    2. Then, compose the drum set, what instruments are there to be used and work from there. With this in mind I composed my drum tracks based on trial and error, bar by bar (or set of bars) and lots of replays.
    3. It is possible to edit the duration of a cymbal hit (or any other drum or tom) so it keeps ringing after the hit, as it should, so keep this in mind, edit those crashes, chinnas, and any other cymbals you have set.
    4. In order to humanize the precision, it is possible to subdivide a lot, so play with 1/32 of time or 1/64 and place the hit slightly before or after... randomly.
    5. The final stroke was setting the intensity levels and I tried to imagine different values for each hand, like the rolls for instance, since most of us, drummers included, are stronger in one arm. The rolls or fills are usually made with both hands in alternating hits, so I set a wavy volume and then changed every 2nd hit to a lower volume. It marks the first hit as the strong one, usually the right hand and the second as the left hand.

These are the 2 videos I've done with such drum tracks:

and

Flemmigan and Metalloutd like this.
  14. GeriatricNinja

GeriatricNinja SS.org Regular

Cubase has a midi editor (double click on the midi track) as well as a drum editor (single click on the midi track then click Midi>Open Drum Editor). The Drum editor is much easier to work with and allows for easy editing of velocities or writing new parts.
    Nolly from Periphery has a great video on humanizing drums on youtube

Metalloutd likes this.
  15. Metalloutd

Many thanks to you all!
    I'm watching a CBlogical editor tutorial right now

16. Metalloutd

I agree on every point you indicate bro

little OT - great videos they remind me Ephel Duath's riffs

odibrom likes this.
  17. odibrom

odibrom .

@Metalloutd Thanks bro.

Those are the only drum tracks I've done, EVER... and they have some years already. The ideas I wrote were what I thought about when trying to create those drum tracks... creatively. I mean that's what I'd love to hear a drummer do over those riffs. Most would probably just inject a pattern learned somewhere and repeat it to infinity with a few breaks here and there...