How to get that ERRA (and Invent Animate) sound?

Hubert

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I want to have that ERRA (and Invent Animate) sound on my 7 string. I feel I cannot quite get there with my Fishman Fluence Modern (also not in passive voicing) - may it also be that I am too dumb to dial in the settings right on my Helix LT
😅

Anyway, I might be able to get my hands on a guitar with Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 or DiMarzio PAF 7 - which could be switched out for DiMarzio D Activator 7 (which ERRA uses in their guitars). I read mixed reviews about the D Activators such as "you need the right tone wood", "they are too hot", "sounds like EMG's", etc.

What is your opinion on all that? Do I need D Activators to get an ERRA sound? And are they versatile enough to cover "all the other modern metal and djent stuff"?

Might also be a combination of the following things:

* Not using passive pickups.
* Different string gauges and tension.
* Playing style.
* Using a drop pedal to down / up shift 1 - 3 semi-tones.
* Might be not being "in the mix" of a song.

Last edited:

Thesius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You should be able to get a similar tone with your current set up. Wood doesn't matter D Acts will sound fine in anything. Your settings just need to be tweaked around probably.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
Start with overdrive pedal in front of your amp and a compressor and a noise gate if needed. Their sound is really compressed from what I just listened to.

Also, your raw guitar in isolation in the room is always going to sound different than in a mix that was professionally mixed and mastered. You’d be surprised how many tones you wouldn’t like isolated that were used in your favorite albums.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
You also have to account that tone is heavily supported by their bass guitarist, and trying to get that sound in the room without said bassist is difficult and will probably lead to mud city.

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that you're probably better off listening to Jesse Cash play on his own and see what kind of qualities he chooses for his tone.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
* Not using passive pickups.
Believe me, it's not that relevant, I can get that sound with an EMG 57, which apart from being active, is pretty mild in comparison to what those bands use

* Different string gauges and tension.
Again, not that relevant, take Tom Searle from Architects for example, he played with massive strings, on the other hand Jason Richardson play with really thin strings, both can get that chugg chugg down

* Playing style.
yup, but it's hard to tell what you are doing right or wrong without a video or audio sample :(

* Using a drop pedal to down / up shift 1 - 3 semi-tones.
it's a factor, but not a big one, you definitely lose a bit of the high frequencies when using pitch shifters, if you are only practicing the songs, I would sweat it, but if you want to record something in the vein of those bands, try to tune at what your reference is

* Might be not being "in the mix" of a song.
Definitely! Erra's and Invent Animate tones are really thin and kinda "bad" sounding on their own, what makes the "body" of the tone is the synergy between kick, bass and guitar

the guys above already gave great tips regarding how to build this kind of tone

danbox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think erra has said they tune their guitars to drop g# and then pitch down? Could be wrong…

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
just noticed a typo that I can't edit now. *I wouldn't sweat it if I was just practicing Erra's songs :lol: