How to get endorsements?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Patri_MA_Ruiz, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Patri_MA_Ruiz Member

Hello guys. This is something that I've been wondering for a while now and I guess maybe you already know something about it!

What are the big labels looking for to create an endorsement contract?
    Share your opinions! :)

2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Appeal.

3. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Patri_MA_Ruiz Member

You mean nicely asking them, being musically atractive or have already a fanbase?

4. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I have been endorsed over the years by Blackstar, Warwick/ Framus and Rotosound - the one thing I found was when selling yourself to the company, is making sure you show them how it is a 2 way relationship. If you go into it expecting free / reduced price gear just because you like the brand, its never going to work - you need to show how them endorsing you, will benefit them with exposure, marketing and brand awareness.

What are you crown numbers like, how many CD's have you sold, whats your viewer counts on youtube / Spotify / iTunes etc etc

You need to be as appealing to them, as it is to have their endorsement.

takotakumi likes this.
  5. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Patri_MA_Ruiz Member

Oh I understand then. I thought people also needed to start low, with small brands to be appealing to the big ones. Thanks for the info, it's very valuable for me. :)

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

You asked:

Labels expect you to appeal to their customer base. That's is it. There is no magic formula.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I mean, the big question is with whom do you want an endorsement?
    Everything said here is pretty good. I have some friends who got endorsed before they even had a demo or anything, but they (specifically, one of the band's members) knew some good contact people entrenched in the industry and they were all pretty confident in their approach.
    If you don't know anyone, probably the first step to get the furthest the quickest is to get to know somebody who can vouch for your name.
    If you get a lot of exposure, that helps, too. But it's also about the level of exposure. Like, if I had 100 fans from around my neighbourhood, it won't get me anywhere, but if I had 100 fans who were all avid guitar collectors, it'd really help me land an endorsement deal with a guitar manufacturer.

But yeah, above all else, figure out which companies might benefit the most from endorsing an artist like you, and also, of course, which companies would benefit you the most, then visit their websites and see if they have any information about endorsements.

Patri_MA_Ruiz likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

budda, TedEH and bostjan like this.
  9. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Patri_MA_Ruiz Member

Thank you for your answer! I actually have a nice idea of being endorsed; I feel like it adds value when it comes to contract you in a label or other places. That's why I would like to be in the artist poster of EMG (I use those pickups) and some more stuff. But I don't really know how that works, so that's why I'm asking.
    I'm gonna read that thread, thank you for sharing it. :)

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, not to be cynical, but of course being an endorsed artist featured in ad campaigns makes you more attractive in the eyes of a label - vice versa, having a contract with a prominent label makes you more attractive to companies who might offer you endorsements. In both cases, it's for the same reason - that you can potentially help them increase sales and make more money.

So, I think I wouldn't worry so much about the label or the endorsement deal or anything just yet, and instead worry about building a large and engaged fan base. If you can come to a label, or a pickup company, with a lot of fans prepared to spend money on something, they'll be more interested in talking to you about working together.

bostjan likes this.
  11. CGrant109

CGrant109 SS.org Regular

Making sure you have a strong social media presence, and a means of helping them out for endorsing you will make it more likely to happen. Like others have said, being able to represent their gear and do additional marketing by making good videos and means of showing off their gear to get bigger audiences will help a lot.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think it's important to recognize the difference between having a proper endorsement deal of some kind, people who simply give their endorsement outside of any deal ("I'll gladly tell you I use x product cause I like it"), and being an "artist who uses this stuff" listed on their website. Traynor I think used to have a page where you could just send in photos and they'd add you to their "artists" page, but it wasn't an endorsement deal of any kind, more like a fan club than anything else.

13. bostjan

But...although there are key differences, those ideas are closely related.

At any rate, though, if you want an EMG endorsement, the best way to set that up is to make friends with whoever the person at EMG is who does artist relations.

couverdure likes this.
  14. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

Are you playing about 300 dates a year?

15. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

A buddy of mine has a Spector endorsement and gets some pretty amazing deals on his basses from them. He’s not ‘famous’ or anything just a hell of a bass player. I don’t think You have to be famous or even do 300 shows a year to get an endorsement, there’s no magic number or science to it. Like what was said above, knowing and talking to the right people will get You the furthest with that kind of stuff.

couverdure likes this.
  16. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

There is literally and unironically a several page long sticky about endorsements in this very sub forum.

17. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

You will only get an endorsement if you have something to offer. You could be the greatest player in the world, but if your unkown or have no following you wont get anything. So unless your already in a big name band or a youtube star with 200k + subscribers nothings is going to happen. Even some of the best players in the world didn't get proper endorsements until years after already been established artists, just look at Martin Miller or Marco Sfogli etc.

Really having endorsements should be the last thing you worry about if you are trying to get signed or noticed.

18. bostjan

New companies are far more eager to make endorsement deals with new artists. Someone like EMG, probably not so much, but I'm pretty unknown, and when I was even more unknown, I got endorsement offers from three different upstarts, which I attributed to simply be acquainted with people and nothing else. Of course, that was before youtube existed. But these days the same basic principles apply.

Also, being a C-level endorsed artist doesn't mean you get your photo in the product catalogue, but it means that such a thing could happen, whereas not being endorsed certainly means that it couldn't.

19. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

There are levels of endorsements as well.

20. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Whats' the return on investment if you get an endorsement? Are you going to increase the sales figures of the item you're endorsing? Are you someone that the company wants endorsing their products?