How to get a lazy [email protected]$K to exercise?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by possumkiller, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Taking a month off from pretty much all kinds of my regular running, hockey, gym and now cycling I actually found it hard to get back into my old routine which sounds nuts when I think of it.

There is lots of good advice here but I will offer a bit from what I have seen work for others I taught.

1, Its 20 min a day to start, don't get caught up in 1 hour a day, that will come.
    2, Army exercise is good but not what you need now, simple, easy and fun will get you going. Just thinking out here but if your weather is good, put the baby in the buggy and do a fast walk for minimum 20 min, when no one is looking stop and do 20 squats and get going, again drop and to some push ups or burpee's.
    3, Don't start fast, the reason most feel exhausted after morning exercise instead or refreshed is because of the intensity. My morning run is slow between 10-8:30 mile pace and when I get home I go ahh that felt good not ohh I can't walk.
    4, Diet if you think its bad for you it is, you know the deal..fruits, veggies, lean meats, no junk, minimal booze. Don't go on a crazy program work on one solid healthy meal a day then extend it to two but try to eat well.
    5, 6 meals a day can work but its hard work, aim for non processed foods plus the good stuff, get the junk out of the house.

Do those things and things will happen, 20 min a day is not much if you include the baby (been there done that, now I chase teenage boys away..I run further and faster muhhaha!)

The last part is probably the most important and that is routine, if you do this for two weeks it will become routine and just be part of your day. After a bit come home put the baby down and get on the floor for another 20 min of body weight exercise.

Give it time and by the summer you will be alright!

2. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Finished my 2nd week of P90x yesterday. I've lost 7lbs/3kg already. My pants are loose and my face has thinned a bit. I can start to see the muscles in my arms through the fat now lol. I feel a lot better. I have more energy.

I didn't buy the dvd set it was a "gift" from someone who got it and never used it. I don't do the shakes and I haven't gone with their diet plan. I just cut out 90% of my sweets and eat healthier foods in more frequent but smaller portions.

We did buy a pullup bar and resistance band set on ebay and a 5lb and 10lb set of weights from walmart. It was really difficult in the first week and I wanted to quit after feeling like every muscle in my body had been beaten with a bat. The second week was a lot better and I found that it was not only much easier to do the exercises correctly (I still can't do everything they are doing properly) but my muscles are not as sore afterward.

My wife and I are both doing it and we plan to do it over again when we finish. Apparently they have different levels of intensity and the next time we will go harder. Right now I am focused on fat loss. The next time I will focus on building mass. Hopefully by then I will be able to afford more in the way of equipment and supplements.

3. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Five Align

Give it hell man! Bring the intensity every day, don't cheat on the diet, and don't skip Ab Ripper (I know, it's hard). I'm just starting week 2 myself. This will be my 4th time through.

I always do it every spring, mostly to trick foolish tan females into spending quality time with me during the summer months.:idea:

4. possumkiller

LOL what other reason is there?

5. possumkiller

I've lost 15lbs so far. Only it is difficult to tell how much fat weight I lost since I am bulking up with muscle. The guns are getting pretty big (for me) and I can feel a ripped set of abs under the little remaining belly fat I have. I went from popping the buttons off size 36 pants to wearing a belt with my old 32s. I have also noticed the girls at college talk to me a lot more now.

6. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Good work, buddy. What have you been doing?

7. possumkiller

Ive just been doing P90X. I can't afford their diet and shakes so I just do my own thing when it comes to food. I no longer drink any sodas. Actually I drink nothing but water apart from the occasional wine and the chocolate milk I mix my creatine powder into. I try not to eat anything too fatty. Usually I have sandwiches for breakfast and lunch when I am going to school and work. Rye bread with turkey, cheese, and spinach. For dinner I usually have baked salmon with brown rice and mixed veggies.

My wife has lost 30lbs so far.

8. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Congrats to you both. Keep it up. :)

9. ElCid

ElCid Member

Hey, p90x3 will be available soon (maybe today?). Workouts will be 30 minutes (similar to latest insanity version) instead of 60 minutes plus. I had success with p90x (25 pounds off and greatly improved cardio) and have been able to keep most of the weight off after 10 months. Just under 5 pounds back on as metabolism slowed due to gluteal tear or high hammy issue from soccer forced me to "take it easy". Had to get up early with previous version for warmup, workout, cool down and usually ended up skipping the longer workouts (ie yoga). Plan on getting back on the wagon with p90x3 in January if my injury allows. Will report back with my impressions.

10. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I may actually bother trying P90X3. It was the hour and a half workout that made P90x so impossible for me. Between work, school, guitar, etc. taking an hour and a half for working out just wasn't feasible. That and it was exhausting. I could barely function at work. This may remedy that problem. Regimen has always been my biggest problem with working out.

11. ElCid

ElCid Member

Got p90x3 for Christmas, slipped on the driveway while shoveling, threw my back out. Looks like startup will be delayed for a few weeks. Crap.