How to get a lazy F@$K to exercise?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by possumkiller, Jan 18, 2013.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Ok so ever since I got out of the army in 2009 and was no longer forced to exercise every day, I have been getting fat as hell. It is shameful and I am tired of it. However, while I am mentally motivated to get off my ass and do something about it and I DO sometimes actually go out and run (maybe a week and a half stretch every couple of months or so I will go run around a local lake every other day), I cannot keep myself physically motivated to actually exercise.

I work, I'm a full time student, and the rest of the time I have to somehow fit in taking care of homework while taking care of my baby boy as well. My wife is dieting and exercising when I am at school or work but, I never seem to have time to and when I do I am so exhausted from the rest of my day that I can't bring myself to get up and do anything.

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

For me, I have to make sure I'm eating and sleeping well first. If I've got all that in line and I have the mental attitude, just getting started and forcing myself to get into a routine for a week or two is enough to get the momentum I need to keep it up.

How well do you eat? How regularly? How's your sleep?

3. possumkiller

LOL Sleep....

EDIT: Seriously though, my diet is kinda all over the place. Quitting smoking gave me a hell of a sweet tooth so I'm always snacking on something. I started replacing that with beef jerky though. High sodium I know but a lot less fat and calories. Sleep is secondary right now. The kid wakes up at odd hours of the night for feeding.

4. irondavidson

irondavidson SS.org Regular

I don´t really need to exercise, as i´m climbing for work. Its kind of a full time work out, but i still do some work outs at home too. That´s because my wife does all kind of training all the time and its fun to join in.
    I even bought an Xbox Kinect and got the "Your Shape" work out program and i have to say, it is lots of fun. It really make you sweat, it´s entertaining, you can play/exercise with your girl, so it´s same time quality time with her! ;)
    Sometimes my entire body is in agony after a 40/45 min "game", but it feels great! What ever you do, try to do it right from the beginnings and i´m sure, if you do it regularly, you´ll be hooked on it.

5. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

I don't really have any advice other than just fuckin' do it. And make sure you do it. Make it part of your daily routine if possible (doesn't have to be every single day, but at least 4-5 days a week if possible). Also replace the snacking with something healither than beef jerky, find some fruit that you like.

What do you do instead when you have spare time?

6. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

You got a baby. Man, oh man.... Good luck finding time to do anything!
    How old?

Seriously though, baby lifts are exercise until they are old enough to bounce on your abs and force you to tighten up your abs. Need more cardio? Airplane/horsie rides...

No, really! I did it with my kids to prepare myself for chasing their scampering little butts all over!

Exercise doesn't have to be army style. Make a game out of it. Involve your wife and baby so it's not just "all on you". Make it part of family time if you can.

Good luck with that sleep thing too.

I sure don't miss that...:noplease:

Solodini likes this.
  7. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Depending on your current diet, improving it might make you feel less shitty and in turn motivate you to get off your ass again.

We can't really motivate you to get going. You're the lazy fat fuck here. If you're not happy with that, get off your ass. I can keep telling you to do so on a daily basis but in the end it's YOU who should put in the work.

That said, watch these. Aside from being fucking awesome, the question is very valid - how bad DO you want it?

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I'm horribly lazy myself, and work/family doesn't make it any easier. For me, I just worked it out with my wife that after work I'm going to go to the gym for an hour of so. Once I'm there I can work out, but if I'm at home there's just no chance. So my recommendation is join a gym, and get yourself in there on the way back from work.

9. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I understandable if you're finding it difficult to get sleep and a good diet with a little man around, and I'd be 90% sure that's your problem (the diet and sleep, not the kid haha).

Beef jerky? Eek cholesterol anyone? If you wanna snack on meat, I might suggest lean white meat. When I'm peckish I eat smoked mackerel or tuna, or grab a bowl of porridge which is full of great stuff and is filling.

But yeah, be more aware of what you're eating and when you're eating it and do your best to go to bed a little earlier etc, the energy and mental wellbeing benefits of a solid diet and at least regular sleep are HUGE.

Best of luck man, it seems like a brick wall you gotta climb but really it's a mound, once you get over the start you'll pick up momentum quickly.

10. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Some simple philosophies from a guy who has lost (and gained) thousands of pounds.

Exercise. Fuck. It sucks. Pick something that you like. Everyone goes on with the whole "what's the best exercise?" bullshit. Is it running? Swimming? Biking? Competitive judo? Basket weaving? The best exercise is the one you actually do. Just so long as some of it is cardio and some of it is designed to add muscle. Added muscle eats fat even when it's not really doing much.

Sign up for a competition. I don't care if it's a run, a swim, a bike ride, a "who can do the worm the longest," a triathlon, a charity boxing match - just so long as it's not a hot dog eating contest, you'll have a target. Then, you will exercise and eat right to be able to compete.

Eat six planned meals a day. Plan what you eat and eat what you plan. Do not stray. Plan your treats. Plan everything. Plan plan plan. And then plan some more. Make sure there's enough fiber in there or you will find out what it's like to shit a Rubik's cube.

On the above thing, plan how you'll train and train how you planned it. Don't skip stuff. Unless you're injured. Do not train through injuries. Every one trains hurt, though. Know the difference. An injury is something that causes your performance to worsen over time and that can not heal while you are training. Everyone can figure out how to smash 45 minutes of exercise into a day, 5 days a week.

Stay off the smokes. That includes weed.

Use protein shakes to curb sweet tooth. Little banana, frozen berries, cocoa powder (not Quik, you fat bastard), vanilla flavoured whey powder, skim milk. It's not a Blizzard, but you can't have those.

Learn to love hummus. With carrots and broccoli and celery. Protein, good fats, fiber, garlic. You'll be able to poop that. You can't poop a ball of undigested beef jerky. Make it yourself. Don't buy the store hummus. It tastes like potassium chloride or something.

fitnessjournal.com - or something like it. Track what you eat, track how you train, you are going to be accountable to yourself.

Take a picture of yourself shirtless every day. Don't look at them for a month. Then look at all of them, in order, at the end of the month. Impressed? You should be. You worked hard for that shit.

Compete against me. I'm starting tomorrow. I've been a lazy, chocolate eating bastard and have gained so much weight, my scale reads "ERR" when I stand on it. Which I believe is Scalian for "one at a time, please." I'm pretty sure I'm at 345lbs. At 6'4", that's a lot. I'd like to be at 250 or less for my 40th birthday on November 5th, but weight is a shitty goal, so I'm gonna do an Olympic distance triathlon on Labour Day and will be training for that. Also, my very small dog is now fucking fat, too, so she's going running with me.

11. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

Get your nutrition in order first. No more beef jerky...

Chicken, turkey, steak, vegetables, beans, fruit, (non salty) - almonds/peanuts, peanut butter, brown rice, berries, fish/salmon/tuna, eggs are the types of foods you want to stick to.

Also get some protein powder. Anytime I want to 'spoil' myself I make myself a shake :agreed: they are fucking delicious and you can have 1 - 2 a day.

Start with that week 1 and learn more about nutrition online.... ONLY EAT FOODS THAT YOU LIKE!!

Week 2 - 100 situps and 50 pushups a day. Simple stuff, will take you 10 minutes at the most to complete these. Surely you have 10 minutes to spare :shrug:

Week 3 - Get some dumbells and start doing curls and do some more research on weights and lifting.

Week 4 - incorporate some cardio. I did some sixpack shortcuts exercises on youtube, they only take 10 mins max for each exercise

First month done. Look at your photo that you took before you started and compare, notice a bit of a difference? Good!

Month 1 done - Repeat! - Now that you've done that you can learn start to learn about macros, fasting and further supplements and start personlising your diet a little bit more. Also I would do starting strength from here.

STAY CONSISTENT!

12. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I was never a fan of sports/exersize but really enjoyed lifting and used to go to the gym every day without fail until my back got messed up (seperate issue).

I think if you get good gains from the start you will really enjoy it, so just force yourself to go no matter what for the first two weeks and once you see gains you'll love it. Make sure you eat right too!

13. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

A one hour workout is 4% of your day. Everybody has obligations in their life. People who want to find time to make it work will and other people will find excuses as to why they can't make it work.

Nobody wants to be out of shape, but just saying it doesn't mean anything. If it truly bothers you, you'll do something about it.

14. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i would suggest the following
    work out in the morning before you start your work/school/day

signing up with a gym is an instant motivator. you see others working out. you have the music blaring. you have have great lights. you have mirrors everywhere to constantly keep checking for any weak points (or checking yourself out, if that tickles your fancy ;) ). and you have a LOT of possibilities to never have anything turn monotonous on you. different weights, different machines, different variety, different possibilities.

and at the same time, if you work out before your entire day, you would feel energized all through out the day. i know, its weird how that works.

or, you can pickup p90X or insanity. only downside i see with this is that its ridiculously tough. this may make you give up faster simply because its tough. but its also one of the fastest ways to see results.

15. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Are you still on millitary medical coverage of any kind?
    If so, then you might have low T.
    Wouldn't hurt to be tested, and you could always find ways to help minimize your levels before being checked.
    Some insurance policys do cover that now from what I understand.
    If I had the loot for it right now I'd be there myself (getting checked and balanced).

16. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

What I have learned is that you always have time to do excercise. I don't have a kid, so I can't judge that and you probably spend a lot of time with it, but as far as the "full time student" goes there is no excuse in it. I have a full time job while on the weekends and sometimes during the week I am a student (hard to explain for somebody who is not in Germany). Needless to say I have to spent a lot of time on University stuff as well. But I just made myself go to the gym. And if I came home at 6 pm from work, I went straight to the gym. The other day I sat down and studied. On the following day I went directly to the gym ... etc. etc.

Try to create a schedule. Not everything can be scheduled, but you at least have an idea when to do what. Also see it as a stress reliever so you don't think "I'm wasting my free time".

17. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I have seen this mentioned many times and still have yet to understand it. When I'm done doing any kind of exercise, I'm hungry and tired (and often sore). What's the secret to making your body gain energy by burning energy? Sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me.

18. possumkiller

Yeah that was the deal with me when I was in the army. I heard the same thing all the time. I was always more sore and tired after PT and then had to work the rest of the day lol.

The problem with going to the gym here is that I can't afford a membership and the nearest gym is like thirty miles away in the next town.

Once I find out what the pacing is going to be like this semester, I hope to come up with a schedule and find some exercises I can do at home. I do live in an apartment though so jumping up and down on the floor could cause problems with the neighbors.

I actually lost 5lbs (2 1/4kg) already by just cutting back on sweets, soda, and meal portion sizes.

19. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

If you go weights or cardio whatever it is you are doing you have to bring the intensity. I think people get so caught up in this exercise that exercise eat this but never this and miss out on really bringing the intensity to the exercise part of it.

20. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

It's really about attitude and reshaping how you want to live your life. I'm a short guy at 5'4" and I peaked out at about 220 lbs last year and it was probably my lowest point. fast forward a year and I'm hovering around 180 lbs, not quite where I want to be but getting there. The key for me has been realizing this as a lifestyle change, not some "diet" that I'll follow for a while and forget about, but fundamentally rethinking how I live my life and the things I need to balance to live well.

In fact, most of my weight loss has been a result of cutting out (or cutting down significantly) on sugars, breads etc. the snacking in between meals is what got me, so I've cut that out too.
    You say sleep is secondary and while I understand you have a child to take care of, the fact is that getting a good nights rest is CRITICAL to effectively losing weight (on top of reducing stress/anxiety, improving thinking, etc). Any extra time spent cramming or studying will be worthless if you're sleep deprived. If you go to school full-time, see if they have any Gym/workout facilities that are available to you? if so, try to get some time in before/after your classes.

I do exercises at home with an elliptical machine, weights and a kettle bell. If the gym is a no-go, find exercises that work for your lifestyle and stick to it. If you're having trouble staying motivated, think of it in terms of living a better life for your child and to make sure you're always there for him (having a photo of him may help keep you grounded when you're feeling dispirited during workouts)
    It is so easy to lose focus and motivation, which is why we need to cultivate these motivators as broader goals that enrich not only our own lives but for those around us as well. Stick it out and once you've found your rhythm, you'll find comfort in a new way of thinking and living.