How to get a good doom tone(Sabbath, Church of Misery, etc)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by bloodjunkie, Jun 23, 2020.

1. bloodjunkie

bloodjunkie SS.org Regular

I know this has probably been asked 10,000 times but I'm not sure where to look.

I've been using a Boss Metal Zone straight into a 70s Sound City 120 watt tube head for the past decade(yes I know...not doing justice to this head at all) and I want to branch out AKA ditch this pedal. I love the Sabbath sound I'm trying to achieve the CoM sound as close as possible. I know hardly anything about pedals but I know I probably need a big muff, Dunlop Crybaby, delay, reverb and/or echo, but no idea what models are the best of each pedal. It's frustrating because I took a picture of CoM's pedal board live but then my phone broke and I never transferred the picture.

Here's a couple examples:

There's a guitar break at 3:33 that might help in hearing the tone as well.

Guitar only at the start, then kicks in full with two pretty different tones in the left and right channels(I like the tone on the right).

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I have a Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra and it's Sabbath in a box. It's more of an amp-distortion kind of sound, though. The Boss FZ-2 is very well-regarded but is insanely expensive as a result. The Big Muff is great, and there are several different versions to look into. I have the version where a switch bypasses the tone control for a less-compressed sound.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

What guitar are you using, with what pickup?

That tone in the second vid is gnarly and awesome.

4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

What Sabbath sound are you trying to get?

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Get a Sunn emulation pedal. I'm getting some real Sunn vibes from those clips.

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Behringer Super Fuzz should be considered. FZ-2 for 30$.

Big Muff into an HM-2 or DS-1 sounds something like the 2nd one depending on settings and how much gain you’re piling on with the combo. I like more low end mess personally.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  7. MoJoToJo

MoJoToJo SS.org Regular

Big Sabbath fan love Iommi. But never pulled off that tone by a long shot. One of my lame efforts with an old LP, Laney IRT & a Blackout Effectors Musket years ago. Give you a laugh in these troubled times>>>>>> https://k00.fr/5k6zmfi7

8. bloodjunkie

I'll probably use an Edwards LP with Lace Sensor pickups.

I know for sure CoM uses Gibsons(LP, SG, V) and according to equipboard.com one of their ex-guitarists used a Little Big Muff Pi live at least.

Yeah the sound is just massive!(Bass sounds great too)

9. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I run a RAT into a fuzz (BAT pharaoh but any muff'll do) because I read years ago that's what SUNN does and it d00ms like fuk. With hot pickups this combination can definitely achieve that grimy, spongy sag. It also can do fairly tight chugging and sludge just fine. Honestly you can probably get there boosting a fuzz with anything that's loud and a little dirty.

There are a lot of fuzzes out there and some people never seem to be happy with the one they've got but the Pharaoh was my first one and I've never felt the need to replace it. I have played a couple Zvex fuzzes and they tend to feel really hairy and zippery to me, might be more up your alley, but they're $$$.

Beta preamp is a great suggestion if you can find a deal but don't pay for hype inflation it's not worth it. I miss my Beta Lead dearly, I also paid $275 for it and wouldn't pay much more for another one. Also if you find a good deal on a beta lead just buy it....

edit:

I've written this assuming you're cranking that SC120.... if you're not now's the time to start.

10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I have to wonder what was used in studio just based on the bite in the guitar sound. I would try a treble booster into a fuzz with the gain down a little if fuzz alone isnt doing it.

11. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Typical doom setup is fuzz pedal into a loud clean tube amp (big bottles and big iron) into a 4x12 with vintage-type speakers. Turned very loud.

Elric and sleewell like this.
  12. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

sleewell likes this.
  13. bloodjunkie

Sweet thanks for the replies so far everyone! I've got a lot to check out.

Can I ask which RAT pedal you have? I love the Obituary tone too and know they use RAT pedals so that would be great to kill two birds with one pedal. I passed up a vintage one a few years ago because it was pretty $$ but I've regretted it ever since.

14. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I used a Fuzzrocious Rat King for a few years which uses the LM308 chip used in the older RATs, I had to sell it because moving is expensive and I traded for a Big Box Reissue with the OP07 chip planning to swap it out and two years later I haven't bothered because it sounds great.

More good news, the market is flooded with RAT clones and they can be had quite cheaply with the LM308 chip.

People say individual RATs have different flavors and if you find one you liked to keep it, I would agree with the keep it part but I've also liked all the RATs I've used.

15. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Tone is in the fingers. So i guess in this case, cut your finger tips off in some factory machinery, and replace them with thimbles made from a melted down plastic bottle. /s

WarMachine and Carl Kolchak like this.
  16. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

current production Rat 2 pedal comes with the LM308 chip

17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Can't go wrong with Behringer SF300 at that price.

Which isn't to say there aren't some Behringers that you can go wrong with even though they're cheap, just that this isn't one of them.

Necky379 likes this.
  18. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

only one 4x12? doom lite :deathm:

budda likes this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

[​IMG]

or Hovercraft amps:

upload_2020-6-25_0-31-44.jpeg

20. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

The three I have are seriously good. SF300, sick instant Electric Wizard. TO800, sounds better than my Maxon OD9. HM300, better than some HM-2 clones I’ve had but middle of the road overall, still...30$ for an HM-2.