How To Fix A Paint Chip On An Angle?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by RLG167, Aug 3, 2016.

1. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Hi all,
    I was hanging my new ML on my wall and the Hangar fell off the wall and the guitar fell. Luckily nothing major happened, just a chip about 3mm in length. But it's on the corner of the inside of one of the 'legs', going from the back to the inner side. What's the best way to fix something like that? It's down to the wood, so is there a certain kind of filler I should use? And it's also a weird shade of blue, so what's the best way to color-match it?
    Thanks, RG

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I don't know the answer, but I just did the same thing on a matte finish guitar, so I'm curious what other people say.

If you want to know what I did, the following is the answer. In order.

1) inspect it real closely
    2) put it back on the stand, and look at it from far away to see if it's noticeable.
    3) look at it up close again.
    4) put it on the stand again.
    5) look at it up close, but this time go in the kitchen where the lighting is better, and see how noticeable it is.
    6) Google what to do.
    7) go to bed
    8) get up 3 minutes later, and go get some Krazy glue out of the junk drawer in the kitchen, and try to glue the chipped piece down.
    9) sand it a little.
    10) put elmers glue over the top to give it a more matte finish.
    11) repeat steps one and two
    12) try to go to sleep
    13) get up 3 minutes later and Google some more.
    14) grab some old acrylic paint from the garage for craft projects, and try to custom mix the color.
    15) paint the color on with a toothpick.
    16) put elmers glue over the top.
    17) wipe the elmers glue completely off.
    18) sand it a little more.
    19) repeat steps 1 and 2.
    20) drink some Jack Daniels to calm down.
    21) turn the a/c on more, because it's getting fricken hot from being pissed off, worried, and having Jack Daniels.
    22) try to talk myself down, and that this isn't going to be the end of the world.
    23) custom mix acrylic craft paint again to get a better color match, and paint on more.
    24) try to go to sleep again.
    25) get up three minutes later to see if it's as bad as I remember it from 5 minutes ago.
    26) consider playing with my privates to calm down and relax
    27) repeat steps one and two.

And then maybe 25 more steps. Long story short, I'm pretty sure I made it way more noticeable.

3. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

XD that comment made my day (and it's only 7am!) I've had guitars that I've chipped before but I haven't cared, maybe it's because this one is a 'collector's edition'. I have tried to fix chips before and made them worse, so with this one I immediately put it back in the case and it's been sitting there since. I also thought of gluing the chip back on, but I couldn't find it!

4. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Just leave it. Its a scar you made. I know I wouldn't get rid of any of my scars. I learned something from everyone. And the scar you made will remind you never to trust those damn wall hangers fully :lol:

5. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I took all my hangars out, put construction grade adhesive in the holes in the wall then screwed them back in. I don't thing they're going anywhere :lol:

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

If I was going to hang guitars from the wall, I would attach the hanger with some 5" lag bolts into studs, and then also maybe a french cleat.

7. Black43

Black43 Hated Ibanezes once

You're killing me dude :lol::lol:
    As for the chip, yeah, just leave it. It's a scar you made and it contributes to its history. Give it a few years and you'll be laughing about it. When people ask about it you now have a story to tell.

8. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Always put hangers into the studs, if you have to use hangars.

I only keep acoustics in hangers around the house.

9. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

This is what I did. Got a nice piece of 12' lumber, ran it horizontally and used lag screws into the studs, then put the hangars into the lumber.

Not trusting drywall hangars for anything. I've seen lightweight curtain rods pull them out, not trusting a guitar to them.

To the OP, to fix it, yes you can fill it, but it depends on the color. I've done this before, the result was OK. It was a blue burst guitar with black edges. I used a black acrylic paint that I flowed into the chip over many coats to fill the hole.

Then, you sand it to contour it so it matches the surrounding area.

Acrylic paint is water-based and is usually much softer than enamel- based paints, which makes it easier to sand down flush.

You will need various grades of finishing paper, and then polishing and buffing compounds to make the paint around it glossy. If I look real close, I can see a small difference in color where the chips were.

It depends on the color and if you have the finishing supplies. If this is a blonde or natural finish, it might be hard to match it. The method I used works well with solids, but if you try it with a clear acrylic, it will look hazy.. but that may still be better than the chip.

10. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

I just use decent drywall hangers instead of the ones that come with the kit. They're easily strong enough. I have 7 hung up around here and they're all rock solid.

11. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

This is what I did. Great minds...

12. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

This is the same setup I had also. Had all my guitars on hercules hangers at a 45 degree angle. It looked nice, I may have to redo something similar at my new place.